2011 Cabs at the Beach

To set the stage so-to-speak: I was seated dead center on the 50 yard line, mid-way up (which is something like row 5 of 10 at Maxwell Field). I say it every year, but the PA system still sucks. At least the guy operating it know whats he's doing. (Great to see Fran again. It just wouldn't be the same without you, brother.) Now that I've got THAT out of my system... the weather was mostly pleasant - I'd guess probably the low 80's, though somewhat humid. This is not for Drum Corps World, so please excuse me not being so tedious about organizing my thoughts. Here is a somewhat scatter-brained review of the DCA competing corps in order of appearance:

6) 57.850 (-2.2) Sunrisers - 20 H, 9 BP, 4 FE, 10 CG, 2 DM = 45 Total

This is a rather young looking group. From what I understand, they are mostly local youngsters from around the corps' home base on Long Island. I would suspect that few, if any, have marched in the past (notable exceptions to include Larry Visconti, among others.) Larry, it was great seeing you out there conducting. I know you hate the spotlight, but you did a great job as always. Clearly, the corps had some "first show jitters." The were some major phasing issues in the pit leading to the opening statement. They just need to look up once in a while during the tempo change because with the way the corps is spread, listening just won't cut it there. The brass opened the show with decent tone, though they seemed timid. It felt like they held back on their opening statement of I Dreamed a Dream, which is a real shame because it has some potential to really set the stage for their performance. Speaking of which, I was very excited to hear the bringing back the classic Les Miserables from the mid 90's. I know it is different arrangements, but it's among my favorite Sun shows from the past and suits them well. This corps will get better over time. From an audience perspective, it would appear that they were more confident with certain portions of the show than others, and that showed in the level of performance. The guard started the show brilliantly, but faded a bit as the show wore on. The soloist in the ballad was solid. I would say that the brass is probably their strongest section right now, but even that was hampered by their visual program. While I could appreciate their attempts at simultaneous responsibilities and body visuals, I'd prefer that they perfected marching fundamentals first. It would obviously help their look, and quite possibly their sound as well. Speaking of looks - the corps was outfitted in blue bowling shirts with orange piping. Now that may be great for parades but it did look rather sloppy on the field. If the corps is on a really tight budget, then so be it. But outfitting the corps proper in actual uniforms would go a long way towards improving the overall visual effect. Drum line was performing a relatively simple book, but doing so fairly well. The female snare drummer appeared most confident with the book and performed much more aggressively than her counterparts. Their drill did not appear to be finished, and I expected the ending will be more decisive sounding when fully complete. I suspect this corps will improve by leaps and bounds even by just getting more comfortable with the show and more comfortable performing it. Despite the challenges ahead, this alum joins with the countless others in being proud to see the corps back on the field.

5) 65.300 (-0.2) Windsor Regiment - 20 H, 11 BP, 8 FE, 14 CG, 2 DM = 55 Total

Admittedly, I had some insight into how Windsor Regiment was developing. I played with the corps when it first appeared at the MCA Mini Corps Championships in Albany in 2008 and I've been keeping a close eye on them ever since. I was excited to learn that the corps was transitioning to a Class A field corps this year. The corps looked the part of serious contenders as soon as they unloaded their truck; marching fully uniformed and disciplined to the warm-up areas. When they entered the stadium, folks around me too notice. It was hard not to. Their uniforms have a similar pattern from recent Carolina Crown designs, but with a style and flare uniquely their own. Compound that with brass lacquer horns, and you DEFINITELY have a unique looking group taking the field. And as soon as they reach the climax of their opening statement, folks were paying attention! The program begins with a full corps tango to set the mood. Fiery Latin rhythms follow, driven by a trumpet section that can peel the paint off the walls. The ballad features a dance between Kevin and Erin that looked like it could be from their wedding, after which Kevin plays a mellophone solo. There are some staging issues during this section as the dance interaction could be more prominently featured at center stage. It would also help the solo to be more audible, as one had to strain to hear it from time to time. The faster Latin sections were a bit "busy" in the percussion section and definitely need a little time to develop better clarity. As was the case with Sunrisers, the guard seemed to lack confidence at times and it showed on the faces of the performers. Of course, this will come with time. All in all, this corps came to Wildwood looking to turn some heads and I know they accomplished THAT mission for sure. Look for them to be in the hunt at DCA Finals.

3) 70.500 (-0.0) Carolina Gold - 25 H, 15 BP, 8 FE, 10 CG, 2 DM = 60 Total

Gold was probably the biggest surprise of the evening for me. Not that I didn't expect them to return to Wildwood ready for action, but because I didn't expect them to step up their game THAT much. They also debuted new uniforms tonight. Theirs have a pattern that reminded me of an older Dubuque Colts design, however the color scheme is their classic gold, black and grey - just jazzed up a bit. The first thing I noticed was 5 contras. (That makes this contra player happy.) The next thing I noticed was the size of their battery. With 7 snares, 4 tenors, and 5 bass, they are quite large for a Class A battery. They also didn't disappoint. In fact (spoiler alert) I'm fairly certain they will beat Cabs in drums when the recap comes out. The bass line had some tasty licks and splits. In fact, my wife awarded them the "Tasty Lick of the Night" Award. Sorry guys - no cash prize for that one, but my wife (a career bass drum #2) loved you guys. The percussion program has taken a big step forward and is clearly establishing themselves as a favorite for the Sean Holton Memorial Award at Class A Finals. The horn line is no slouch either! The brass is STRONG and as I suspected, the book suits this corps quite well. Jazz riffs worked so well last year, why not do more? They have a few cats that can scream too. This is definitely a crowd-pleasing show. They appear pretty comfortable performing the show at this point, so I hope to see more body movement as the program develops. That was the one part of their show that felt somewhat "vanilla." Good, mind you, but there could be more. Also, kudos to the guys working the pit. The impact coming from those concert basses and cymbals up front add a lot of depth to the sound and if your music effect score turns out to be as high as I suspect it is, that "bigger than you look" sound might have something to do with it.

4) 70.150 (-0.2) Fusion Core - 21 H, 13 BP, 7 FE, 13 CG, 2 DM = 56 Total

Having had the opportunity to hear this show a few times already, I wrote a few weeks ago that I was looking forward to seeing this program from a visual standpoint. Of particular interest to me was the opening statement. It did not disappoint. Staging worked. The music was as intense outdoors as it was in concert. My favorite part of the opener was the guard work. The tribal dance and silk work set the stage perfectly for what was to follow and looked great! One of my favorite parts about this year's edition of Fusion Core is the program itself. Africore: Untamed is a perfect example of the best of both worlds when it comes to programming. The music is new, different and unique, however it is also accessible to the average listener. You may never have heard it before, but the melodies are "humable" and memorable. The rhythms drive and stick with you. It may not be Malaguena or Birdland AGAIN, (no offense, Gold!) but it's not some esoteric stuff that you need a PhD in music theory to enjoy either. One small disappointment was in the ballad. It's a great tune, no question - but I was distracted by the way the soloists just kinda sauntered up to play their solos. With all due respect, it's not a jazz number - it's a ballad. I think (visually speaking) that there is a better way to get to the stage that would keep in the theme of the musical selection. (I hope that makes sense.) As with most corps in the show, there were some stamina issues towards the end of the show, but nothing that won't get better over time. It should also help add impact to the closer, as it felt somewhat less conclusive than I would have expected. The percussion section has also improved dramatically over previous seasons. No question about that. They are also somewhat larger than previous Fusion drum lines. This section used to be the Achilles heal of the corps and are now on par with their counterparts. That more well-rounded corps will make Fusion even more difficult to beat as the season progresses.

1) 79.050 (-0.0) Buccaneers - 60 H, 25 BP, 12 FE, 27 CG, 3 DM, 6 HG = Total

The defending DCA champs were next to take the field. Happily for me as a reviewer, I got the chance to watch them at their "Friends and Family Day" performance last weekend. It gave me the opportunity to get a first look and know what to look for in Wildwood. I guess it would be a fool's bet to think this corps wouldn't simply reload and storm the field for a 7th straight season opener. The guard performed quite well tonight, despite a less-than-stellar performance last weekend. Looking back, it's easy to see why. When I saw them last weekend it was at the tail end of another LONG rehearsal day in hot & humid conditions. Tonight they looked much sharper. While I'm thinking "guard" - the costuming is rather neat. It's a series of very simple costume changes that can easily be tailored to fit the mood of the particular number. It shows that you don't always need to break the bank to achieve the desired effect. Though I hope the hot pink is not the final costume for the Swan Lake reprise. It works in Mambo, but not so much in the big finale. Now I have to be critical for a moment. Those drum have to be the ugliest drums I've ever seen! Whoever designed that finish probably sees colors the same way Beethoven heard notes. That having been said, it's a #### good thing those cats can really play! Yes, that percussion program is as solid as ever. Once again I'm reminded how much a good cymbal line adds to the overall program, both musically and visually. When I read about it during the winter, I wasn't really sure how I'd like this programming choice. After having seen it, I can really dig on how the Bucs present the different dance styles they've chosen to showcase. The only things I can point out is that some of the body visuals need to be cleaned and tightened up. Also, while the full corps does "LOUD" really, really well, there are some quieter sections, particularly in the second number, Danzon #2, where the horn line sound get's a little muddy. On the field, however the corps is moving quite a bit at that section and the licks aren't exactly easy. I'm sure it will clean up over time, but right now the support isn't entirely there yet. But if folks are looking for a "chink in the 'ol armor", all I can say is, "good luck." The perennial champs came out of the gate fully prepared to defend their streak. The corps is again, well-rounded and does not show any real outstanding weaknesses.

2) 72.550 (-0.2) Caballeros - 46 H, 15 BP, 11 FE, 23 CG, 3 DM, 3 HG = 101 Total

Last in competition was the host Caballeros. The Cabs are celebrating their 65th anniversary this season with a show that pays homage to their past and points the way for their future. My first observation as they were taking the field was that their battery was much smaller than in recent years. I did read a few months ago about a staff shakeup and I suspect the result is a smaller battery that is still working to get established and solidified. The other thing I noticed right away was their guard costumes. I don't now about anyone else, but I LOVE them. The color tone is perfect for this show and these guys look great under the lights. There are some great soloists out on the field this year, including the legendary Frank Ponzo. Each and every one lit up the audience the way only Cab soloist can. The horn line sounds darn good and the marching looks pretty darn good, regardless of what the score sheets say. About a week or two ago I mentioned how much I love the ballads that Hawthorne has offered up in recent years and I was promised another one this year. They did not let me down one bit. This one was a little unique the way it was staged across the field, and the trading solos were a neat touch. I would really like to see this again from a higher vantage point and in a bigger stadium with some acoustics as I think that will really showcase the effect nicely. I don't think the last bit of their show is quite finished yet, but I will say that what the horn line played in the last 20 seconds or so could certainly be one of those "it" moments that we've been talking about in the months leading up to Wildwood. It definitely has the emotional impact to grab a hold of the audience. I can't wait to see it finished.

Apologies to Raiders and Cabs Alumni. I love you both, but I had a long drive ahead of me and I really wanted to see some friends that I haven't spent any time with since last season. I KNOW I will see you both in the months to come and I promise to do full reviews then. (Scout's Honor)

Final Thoughts for Open Class: There was another large spread this year. Last year I (and several others) disputed whether or not the gap was justified. This year, I'm surprised it wasn't larger. No disrespect to the Cabs here, the Bucs were just THAT much more prepared for the start of the season. At least Bucs didn't crack the 80 mark in the first show of the season this year. Granted, numbers don't mean anything until corps go head to head. Remember, once upon a time, you could win DCA with a score in the 80's. I read a few comments from folks about Cabs being closer to Gold than to Reading. But if you look at the scores from recent years, it's not that Cabs were down, but that Gold and Fusion were both up by a solid 4 points or so over previous campaigns. But again, it's all relative. I was amused at how some folks declared the season officially over before 9:30 Saturday night. Still, I understand it can be fun to speculate and guess about how things will shake out. As far as the predictions go, just remember that it's all in fun and no one REALLY knows how things will play out. But it's fun and passes the time while we all wait to see the real story on the field.

Final Thoughts for Class A:

When approached by friends in Windsor and Fusion, the only thing I could tell them is I'm glad I'm not the one judging tonight's show. Windsor, Fusion and Gold all had strengths and weaknesses and for my money, it could have been anybody's night. I will say that I thought Gold had the cleanest presentation of the 3 and that Windsor was a little bit rougher around the edges. However I think there is quite a bit more in the way of demand in Windsor's show than in the other two. Their show is not really a "June" show. Theoretically, it will clean up and hopefully peak at just the right time making them a serious threat to the established Class A ranks. When you throw Govies into the mix, things will get REALLY hot! Plus, who knows what other corps are planning to surprise us throughout the season? Class A is already looking like it will give us all the tension and drama we could possibly want and then some. Hopefully Open Class will put on a similar show. No matter what, it's gonna be another great season of drum corps. That's for sure.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Sayre Kulp
  • Like 1

To set the stage so-to-speak: I was seated dead center on the 50 yard line, mid-way up (which is something like row 5 of 10 at Maxwell Field). I say it every year, but the PA system still sucks. At least the guy operating it know whats he's doing. (Great to see Fran again. It just wouldn't be the same without you, brother.) Now that I've got THAT out of my system... the weather was mostly pleasant - I'd guess probably the low 80's, though somewhat humid. This is not for Drum Corps World, so please excuse me not being so tedious about organizing my thoughts. Here is a somewhat scatter-brained review of the DCA competing corps in order of appearance:

This is a rather young looking group. From what I understand, they are mostly local youngsters from around the corps' home base on Long Island. I would suspect that few, if any, have marched in the past (notable exceptions to include Larry Visconti, among others.) Larry, it was great seeing you out there conducting. I know you hate the spotlight, but you did a great job as always. Clearly, the corps had some "first show jitters." The were some major phasing issues in the pit leading to the opening statement. They just need to look up once in a while during the tempo change because with the way the corps is spread, listening just won't cut it there. The brass opened the show with decent tone, though they seemed timid. It felt like they held back on their opening statement of I Dreamed a Dream, which is a real shame because it has some potential to really set the stage for their performance. Speaking of which, I was very excited to hear the bringing back the classic Les Miserables from the mid 90's. I know it is different arrangements, but it's among my favorite Sun shows from the past and suits them well. This corps will get better over time. From an audience perspective, it would appear that they were more confident with certain portions of the show than others, and that showed in the level of performance. The guard started the show brilliantly, but faded a bit as the show wore on. The soloist in the ballad was solid. I would say that the brass is probably their strongest section right now, but even that was hampered by their visual program. While I could appreciate their attempts at simultaneous responsibilities and body visuals, I'd prefer that they perfected marching fundamentals first. It would obviously help their look, and quite possibly their sound as well. Speaking of looks - the corps was outfitted in blue bowling shirts with orange piping. Now that may be great for parades but it did look rather sloppy on the field. If the corps is on a really tight budget, then so be it. But outfitting the corps proper in actual uniforms would go a long way towards improving the overall visual effect. Drum line was performing a relatively simple book, but doing so fairly well. The female snare drummer appeared most confident with the book and performed much more aggressively than her counterparts. Their drill did not appear to be finished, and I expected the ending will be more decisive sounding when fully complete. I suspect this corps will improve by leaps and bounds even by just getting more comfortable with the show and more comfortable performing it. Despite the challenges ahead, this alum joins with the countless others in being proud to see the corps back on the field.

5) 65.300 (-0.2) Windsor Regiment - 20 H, 11 BP, 8 FE, 14 CG, 2 DM = 55 Total

Admittedly, I had some insight into how Windsor Regiment was developing. I played with the corps when it first appeared at the MCA Mini Corps Championships in Albany in 2008 and I've been keeping a close eye on them ever since. I was excited to learn that the corps was transitioning to a Class A field corps this year. The corps looked the part of serious contenders as soon as they unloaded their truck; marching fully uniformed and disciplined to the warm-up areas. When they entered the stadium, folks around me too notice. It was hard not to. Their uniforms have a similar pattern from recent Carolina Crown designs, but with a style and flare uniquely their own. Compound that with brass lacquer horns, and you DEFINITELY have a unique looking group taking the field. And as soon as they reach the climax of their opening statement, folks were paying attention! The program begins with a full corps tango to set the mood. Fiery Latin rhythms follow, driven by a trumpet section that can peel the paint off the walls. The ballad features a dance between Kevin and Erin that looked like it could be from their wedding, after which Kevin plays a mellophone solo. There are some staging issues during this section as the dance interaction could be more prominently featured at center stage. It would also help the solo to be more audible, as one had to strain to hear it from time to time. The faster Latin sections were a bit "busy" in the percussion section and definitely need a little time to develop better clarity. As was the case with Sunrisers, the guard seemed to lack confidence at times and it showed on the faces of the performers. Of course, this will come with time. All in all, this corps came to Wildwood looking to turn some heads and I know they accomplished THAT mission for sure. Look for them to be in the hunt at DCA Finals.

3) 70.500 (-0.0) Carolina Gold - 25 H, 15 BP, 8 FE, 10 CG, 2 DM = 60 Total

Gold was probably the biggest surprise of the evening for me. Not that I didn't expect them to return to Wildwood ready for action, but because I didn't expect them to step up their game THAT much. They also debuted new uniforms tonight. Theirs have a pattern that reminded me of an older Dubuque Colts design, however the color scheme is their classic gold, black and grey - just jazzed up a bit. The first thing I noticed was 5 contras. (That makes this contra player happy.) The next thing I noticed was the size of their battery. With 7 snares, 4 tenors, and 5 bass, they are quite large for a Class A battery. They also didn't disappoint. In fact (spoiler alert) I'm fairly certain they will beat Cabs in drums when the recap comes out. The bass line had some tasty licks and splits. In fact, my wife awarded them the "Tasty Lick of the Night" Award. Sorry guys - no cash prize for that one, but my wife (a career bass drum #2) loved you guys. The percussion program has taken a big step forward and is clearly establishing themselves as a favorite for the Sean Holton Memorial Award at Class A Finals. The horn line is no slouch either! The brass is STRONG and as I suspected, the book suits this corps quite well. Jazz riffs worked so well last year, why not do more? They have a few cats that can scream too. This is definitely a crowd-pleasing show. They appear pretty comfortable performing the show at this point, so I hope to see more body movement as the program develops. That was the one part of their show that felt somewhat "vanilla." Good, mind you, but there could be more. Also, kudos to the guys working the pit. The impact coming from those concert basses and cymbals up front add a lot of depth to the sound and if your music effect score turns out to be as high as I suspect it is, that "bigger than you look" sound might have something to do with it.

4) 70.150 (-0.2) Fusion Core - 21 H, 13 BP, 7 FE, 13 CG, 2 DM = 56 Total

Having had the opportunity to hear this show a few times already, I wrote a few weeks ago that I was looking forward to seeing this program from a visual standpoint. Of particular interest to me was the opening statement. It did not disappoint. Staging worked. The music was as intense outdoors as it was in concert. My favorite part of the opener was the guard work. The tribal dance and silk work set the stage perfectly for what was to follow and looked great! One of my favorite parts about this year's edition of Fusion Core is the program itself. Africore: Untamed is a perfect example of the best of both worlds when it comes to programming. The music is new, different and unique, however it is also accessible to the average listener. You may never have heard it before, but the melodies are "humable" and memorable. The rhythms drive and stick with you. It may not be Malaguena or Birdland AGAIN, (no offense, Gold!) but it's not some esoteric stuff that you need a PhD in music theory to enjoy either. One small disappointment was in the ballad. It's a great tune, no question - but I was distracted by the way the soloists just kinda sauntered up to play their solos. With all due respect, it's not a jazz number - it's a ballad. I think (visually speaking) that there is a better way to get to the stage that would keep in the theme of the musical selection. (I hope that makes sense.) As with most corps in the show, there were some stamina issues towards the end of the show, but nothing that won't get better over time. It should also help add impact to the closer, as it felt somewhat less conclusive than I would have expected. The percussion section has also improved dramatically over previous seasons. No question about that. They are also somewhat larger than previous Fusion drum lines. This section used to be the Achilles heal of the corps and are now on par with their counterparts. That more well-rounded corps will make Fusion even more difficult to beat as the season progresses.

1) 79.050 (-0.0) Buccaneers - 60 H, 25 BP, 12 FE, 27 CG, 3 DM, 6 HG = Total

The defending DCA champs were next to take the field. Happily for me as a reviewer, I got the chance to watch them at their "Friends and Family Day" performance last weekend. It gave me the opportunity to get a first look and know what to look for in Wildwood. I guess it would be a fool's bet to think this corps wouldn't simply reload and storm the field for a 7th straight season opener. The guard performed quite well tonight, despite a less-than-stellar performance last weekend. Looking back, it's easy to see why. When I saw them last weekend it was at the tail end of another LONG rehearsal day in hot & humid conditions. Tonight they looked much sharper. While I'm thinking "guard" - the costuming is rather neat. It's a series of very simple costume changes that can easily be tailored to fit the mood of the particular number. It shows that you don't always need to break the bank to achieve the desired effect. Though I hope the hot pink is not the final costume for the Swan Lake reprise. It works in Mambo, but not so much in the big finale. Now I have to be critical for a moment. Those drum have to be the ugliest drums I've ever seen! Whoever designed that finish probably sees colors the same way Beethoven heard notes. That having been said, it's a #### good thing those cats can really play! Yes, that percussion program is as solid as ever. Once again I'm reminded how much a good cymbal line adds to the overall program, both musically and visually. When I read about it during the winter, I wasn't really sure how I'd like this programming choice. After having seen it, I can really dig on how the Bucs present the different dance styles they've chosen to showcase. The only things I can point out is that some of the body visuals need to be cleaned and tightened up. Also, while the full corps does "LOUD" really, really well, there are some quieter sections, particularly in the second number, Danzon #2, where the horn line sound get's a little muddy. On the field, however the corps is moving quite a bit at that section and the licks aren't exactly easy. I'm sure it will clean up over time, but right now the support isn't entirely there yet. But if folks are looking for a "chink in the 'ol armor", all I can say is, "good luck." The perennial champs came out of the gate fully prepared to defend their streak. The corps is again, well-rounded and does not show any real outstanding weaknesses.

2) 72.550 (-0.2) Caballeros - 46 H, 15 BP, 11 FE, 23 CG, 3 DM, 3 HG = 101 Total

Last in competition was the host Caballeros. The Cabs are celebrating their 65th anniversary this season with a show that pays homage to their past and points the way for their future. My first observation as they were taking the field was that their battery was much smaller than in recent years. I did read a few months ago about a staff shakeup and I suspect the result is a smaller battery that is still working to get established and solidified. The other thing I noticed right away was their guard costumes. I don't now about anyone else, but I LOVE them. The color tone is perfect for this show and these guys look great under the lights. There are some great soloists out on the field this year, including the legendary Frank Ponzo. Each and every one lit up the audience the way only Cab soloist can. The horn line sounds darn good and the marching looks pretty darn good, regardless of what the score sheets say. About a week or two ago I mentioned how much I love the ballads that Hawthorne has offered up in recent years and I was promised another one this year. They did not let me down one bit. This one was a little unique the way it was staged across the field, and the trading solos were a neat touch. I would really like to see this again from a higher vantage point and in a bigger stadium with some acoustics as I think that will really showcase the effect nicely. I don't think the last bit of their show is quite finished yet, but I will say that what the horn line played in the last 20 seconds or so could certainly be one of those "it" moments that we've been talking about in the months leading up to Wildwood. It definitely has the emotional impact to grab a hold of the audience. I can't wait to see it finished.

Apologies to Raiders and Cabs Alumni. I love you both, but I had a long drive ahead of me and I really wanted to see some friends that I haven't spent any time with since last season. I KNOW I will see you both in the months to come and I promise to do full reviews then. (Scout's Honor)

Final Thoughts for Open Class: There was another large spread this year. Last year I (and several others) disputed whether or not the gap was justified. This year, I'm surprised it wasn't larger. No disrespect to the Cabs here, the Bucs were just THAT much more prepared for the start of the season. At least Bucs didn't crack the 80 mark in the first show of the season this year. Granted, numbers don't mean anything until corps go head to head. Remember, once upon a time, you could win DCA with a score in the 80's. I read a few comments from folks about Cabs being closer to Gold than to Reading. But if you look at the scores from recent years, it's not that Cabs were down, but that Gold and Fusion were both up by a solid 4 points or so over previous campaigns. But again, it's all relative. I was amused at how some folks declared the season officially over before 9:30 Saturday night. Still, I understand it can be fun to speculate and guess about how things will shake out. As far as the predictions go, just remember that it's all in fun and no one REALLY knows how things will play out. But it's fun and passes the time while we all wait to see the real story on the field.

Final Thoughts for Class A:

When approached by friends in Windsor and Fusion, the only thing I could tell them is I'm glad I'm not the one judging tonight's show. Windsor, Fusion and Gold all had strengths and weaknesses and for my money, it could have been anybody's night. I will say that I thought Gold had the cleanest presentation of the 3 and that Windsor was a little bit rougher around the edges. However I think there is quite a bit more in the way of demand in Windsor's show than in the other two. Their show is not really a "June" show. Theoretically, it will clean up and hopefully peak at just the right time making them a serious threat to the established Class A ranks. When you throw Govies into the mix, things will get REALLY hot! Plus, who knows what other corps are planning to surprise us throughout the season? Class A is already looking like it will give us all the tension and drama we could possibly want and then some. Hopefully Open Class will put on a similar show. No matter what, it's gonna be another great season of drum corps. That's for sure.

(edited for spelling)

Nice review Sayre

Thank you so much for the great review! It means a lot!

Dustin W.

One more item of note: from what I heard at the show, the penalties were doled out for timing reasons. I think that was the case for all of them, but I can't 100% confirm that as fact.

Sayre,

Thanks for the review. I ran into Heather so I was able to give her a hug - Keep up the good work - reviews like this help keep interest in our hobby (obsession).

Great job, Sayre!