Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

In some recent discussions about the use of A&E in DCI these days, I realized that we may not actually be so far from corps trying to amplify the brass line, either with individual mikes or through some set of ambient mikes to supplement and "enhance" the sound via the loudspeakers. And I was surprised that some folks not only were okay with the idea but embraced it as a net positive. So I'm curious what the board as a whole thinks.

Not a fan here.

If you've got 80 horns, you really don't need it.

Smaller Open Class groups could do it, I suppose . . .but I have a feeling that the sound quality would suffer badly. If you're the Blue Saints, you're not supposed to be as loud as the Blue Devils. :tongue:

I dont love the idea of micing a whole line (as in individual wireless mics) as many are talking about here . (although I have not seen this done).

But micing a single moment to generate an effect (whatever effect it may be) is fine by me.

• Like 2

I dont love the idea of micing a whole line (as in individual wireless mics) as many are talking about here . (although I have not seen this done).

But micing a single moment to generate an effect (whatever effect it may be) is fine by me.

This

• Like 1

No. That's all.

• Like 4

Only in domes, afterall, domes suck anyway and nothing could make the sound worse :devil: