Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

I think that if the audio/engineering team is good enough to do it, it would work. Bluecoats already implement it a lot, Vanguard implements it with the small ensemble, and really it's more prevalent than people realize. If you can make it so it doesn't blatantly stick out, and everything meshes together well, hey, I'm all for having damaged ears after 12 minutes.

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Cheating, probably not. But morally questionable, I would say so. 

And this includes Phantom, which is a corps I love. 

I can't really tell to what extent these corps are using it from watching videos, but I'll know Saturday. It just seems very reductive and sorta out of touch with the reality of what drum corps is... 

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Here's SCV's hornline without mics...

As you can see, the mics are merely an effect and the hornline is incredibly good.

many people would like to hear this fantastic-ness while they sit in the seat they paid for; not the distorted version.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

As you can see, the mics are merely an effect and the hornline is incredibly good.

I haven't seen SCV live yet this year. I was skeptical based on their earliest performances, but they completely won me over on the Minnesota webcast.

Just as i was generally opposed to narration before falling in love with Crown's "E=mc2" (although two earlier shows, one by Crown and one by Bloo, had used voice effectively in a comedic manner), when it works, it works. But I said then despite Crown and now despite SCV, some tools are very easily misused and should be discouraged. SCV really has the chops. But they are also using microphones to generate a clarity and volume they could not otherwise achieve. Super effective! I fear lots of other corps will use it more as a crutch, or just badly.

Too bad almost no one who initially participated in this discussion is still regularly posting here.

19 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

many people would like to hear this fantastic-ness while they sit in the seat they paid for; not the distorted version.

I think only 12(?) members are mic'd throughout the show, although they do have mics along the front sideline. But having sat inside their horn circle at Pasadena, that brass line can peel paint off a wall. The sound you hear from the stands is almost entirely unadultered brass, and same goes for BD

4 hours ago, brians said:

not necessarily, a good mixer in the long run could save in members, horn, transportation, costs etc... a good mixer can make a 30 person horn line sound like and be just as impactful as an 80 person line, especially with samples etc...

What is the point and to what end?...not very inspiring to me at all...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Then why the crappy, ineffective electronic effect? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Then why the crappy, ineffective electronic effect? 

Because your opinion of it sucks?

Just now, Treefidy said:

Because your opinion of it sucks?

:laughing:

Youre hilarious