Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

11 minutes ago, E3D said:

:whistle::peek:

I read it. Why you would latch onto the emojis is strange. You want us all to go out and rent an orchestra or two. So glad smart folks such as yourself are judging. Makes us poor saps who buy tickets feel like fools because we don't know any better. 

As I said up-thread instead of "adjudicating" from the box come down to where us non sound edumacted types used to be able to sit and enjoy a show, now we have some speaker in our grill and can't determine what is going on because of the mixing and amplification of sound. We really need you there to inform us on what it is we are listening to. 

Just for you. 

:whistle::peek:

BTW - it is now up to 78 people so you need to revise that 75 your question went out to. Since no one replied to that post - After last year watching Bluecoats mid season I considered not watching any more shows. So far I still want to watch, but that has more to do with my loyalty to one corps than anything else. I have to admit that I'm not big into change. My apologies if my post about you having interest in this or not. Must have caught your nerves. Once I read your post about being a judge I can also understand your condescending tone in your posting. 

A) Your argument about all of the sound you dislike listening from row 3 is exactly the same as those who attend a rock concert, stand near the stage, and then complain about the mix and volume of the sound from the speaker stacks. Amplified sound is meant to be projected long distance and mixed from that long distance, that is why sound board engineers at rock concerts do 'not' mix amplified sound from row 3 but from way back, and why the drum corps design teams lobbied to have the mixing done wirelessly from way up in the stands. Moreover, marching show music has never been designed to row 3; the music from the very genesis of the activity has always been designed to the box. Bells to the box brass, bells to the box.

B) The only condescending tone I have done is directed towards those who are so daft and obtuse concerning not accepting that there are real and noticable physical property differences between acoustic and amplified sound in order to promote their own agenda; irrespective of the truth of physics. If you are a person in that category, then yep my condescension abounds.

3 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I’m still not convinced the rules do allow the amping of the entire horn line. When they passed mic-ed brass it was limited to 12 horn players and I don’t recall any update being passed saying otherwise and no one has provided info on the rules change. I suspect that’s why SCV settled on 12 horns mic-ed to stay with in the rules and Bloo and Regiment are getting a pass and not following the rules. I did notice SCV's small ensemble on the snake disc and being staged for parts but I didn’t follow them the entire show. It still doesn't mean it was good and they did blow musical effect

But ignoring the entire structural debate of the rules, it wasn’t good. It wasn’t done well. Due to amp placement and the nature of sound, it will never be done well. You are sacrificing the sound in parts of the stands regardless so should they lower the price of the tickets in the amp zones, like they do for view obstructed tickets?  It’s getting more and more pointless to go to a live show. I also feel the music education value is dropping. If anything goes, why not record the entire show with professionals, even the same professionals for all shows then do a milli vanilli, brass-synch by blasting the pre-recorded track through the amps? How does the rest of the horn line feel playing under the featured players, are they cool as a dancing, back up band? Maybe they are, I dunno. One of the unique features of drum corps was the sound of the large horn lines and now they are going the way of the dinosaurs, gone

Do you know where I can read the rule on this>

7 minutes ago, Eleran said:

But one of them is live, and one is Memorex.  Can you tell the difference?

What in the world is memorex? 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

A) Your argument about all of the sound you dislike listening from row 3 is exactly the same as those who attend a rock concert, stand near the stage, and then complain about the mix and volume of the sound from the speaker stacks. Amplified sound is meant to be projected long distance and mixed from that long distance, that is why sound board engineers at rock concerts do 'not' mix amplified sound from row 3 but from way back, and why the drum corps design teams lobbied to have the mixing done wirelessly from way up in the stands. Moreover, marching show music has never been designed to row 3; the music from the very genesis of the activity has always been designed to the box. Bells to the box brass, bells to the box.

B) The only condescending tone I have done is directed towards those who are so daft and obtuse concerning not accepting that there are real and noticable physical property differences between acoustic and amplified sound in order to promote their own agenda; irrespective of the truth of physics. If you are a person in that category, then yep my condescension abounds.

Don't look now but it is up to 79.

Keep up the great adjudicating. 

Edited by E3D

49 minutes ago, brians said:

so right to the point, should a corps get as much credit/equal credit if they are miking more than just small ensembles or soloists?  Ie... should corps who are using mikes on their entire horn line, or select individuals to enhance sound for greatest impact/blend/balance etc.... be rewarded as much as purely acoustic playing which relies more on human ability rather than a mixing board?  I contend if the answer to the later is yes, then all horns should be miked or it is simply not a level playing field. 

Judges should only care about the quality of what they are evaluating. if, for example, the balance between all voices is good in Ensemble Music, then credit needs to be given, regardless of miccing or not miccing...etc for all subcaptions under evaluation. 

8 minutes ago, E3D said:

Don't look now but it is up to 79.

So, those 79 are in fact being honest and no longer attending shows? Really? Also, your response indicates once again that you likely did not read the posting because the 79 remark had nothing to do with either point A or point B.

And while I enjoy adjudicating you can either complain from row 3, move up and maybe find some enjoyment, or just keep on complaining no matter where you sit. It is not my job to change the activity, merely apply adjudicating criteria fairly. However, you as a fan can change the activity by emptying out the stands until you get your desired performances.

Edited by Stu

I'm sooo confused right now. Stu is arguing that the physics of acoustical vs amplified sound is different. As a scientist, this is undeniable fact. 

Now what's really throwing me off is 

1. How is what E3D saying opposed to the above statement

2. What does this poll (and the number of people selecting the last option) have to do with this?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What in the world is memorex? 

Way back in the day, cassette tapes lived and thrived (including being recorded upon at DCI shows by the adoring public :lle:).  Memorex was a leading brand with the marketing slogan "Is it live or is it Memorex?":

Memorex commercial

I tried to give apologies. I think it was my emoji's and when I thought he might be a sound mixAlot for one of the corps that got the rankles up. 

Anyhow the numbers on the poll was a seperate question which the Judge brought up previously. I answered it as an aside. But yet the judge feels the need to point out that it has nothing to do with A or B. 

so back to your post Cappy - my only point was that I can't tell if something is live or mixed or pre-recorded. 

• Like 1