Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

12 hours ago, JKT90 said:

Amping a brass line should be an insult to brass players. Amp the pit or a soloist if anything...an entire brass line? Then march 30 brass and 60 color guard. 

That change is coming,ie back to smaller brass lines, larger guards. Amping allows it. We ALREADY have 2 Top 7 Corps going with smaller brass lines THIS year. So... it has arrived.

At this point, there's way too much bickering going on both on this thread and the one shofmon88 started for me to appreciate everyone's arguments. I'd much rather wait and see if/when a Marching Roundtable or even DCI Fieldpass podcast comes out regarding this issue (probably toward the end of the season) than experience the constant bashing on these threads.

Plus, I've been beaten over the head a few too many times with everyone's agreement that amping full hornlines is bad. (And for the record, I agree too.)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

That change is coming,ie back to smaller brass lines, larger guards. Amping allows it. We ALREADY have 2 Top 7 Corps going with smaller brass lines THIS year. So... it has arrived.

well smaller horn lines would mean less spandex costumes to purchase and see... so at least that's a positive lol

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1

Not a lot can be done about it.  When electronics were released into the activity this is what you are going to get.  This is why decisions that are made have consequences good and bad.  We want to be an artistic sport but don't understand what that means.  I am just awaiting the marching robots at this point.

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Not a lot can be done about it.  When electronics were released into the activity this is what you are going to get.  This is why decisions that are made have consequences good and bad.  We want to be an artistic sport but don't understand what that means.  I am just awaiting the marching robots at this point.

We are ALMOST there... haha

• Like 1

need a little more volume on that big hit moment, just turn the knob up.... how is this remotely fair to those corps who are playing with real volume without amps.   if the amped corps gets higher GE scores due to the louder impact moment, the corps without the amped horn simply will never be able to compete.  I now know why some corps magically have sounded louder than typical this summer...especially at high impact moments. And this seems to be happening and affecting scores this season.   Shame... only solution I can see is for all horns to be amped or lose out on the score. How many, when and where the amps can be used really needs to be looked at and parameters set. Otherwise, simply amp everything and blast away.  You will need to play the game or be left in the competitive dust. 

Edited by brians

55 minutes ago, Liahona said:

They have very good drill this year. I think the show needs more work but next year they are sure to Medal. 

Putting 60 wireless mics into the area of a football stadium won't work. They frequency bands used would cause so much interference it would be impossible. 10-20 ok, 60 plus, no way! Not to mention professional wireless systems cost a lot. Like 2-5k each. Having all those wireless mics would take up huge amounts of racks on the front line. Each one would have to be calibrated before the show. As a professional live sound engineer I can say NO ONE is doing this. Not even in other professional shows. The Other Side of this, there is no mixer that could pull this off. Modern digital mixers max out at 96 inputs. After your Front Ensemble uses up 30 or so of those, not enough to add in a whole horn line. 

The Mic's across the front line will only work well for about 20 feet. Turning the gain up enough to capture the whole field would cause huge feedback issues, even with eq'ing out frequencies. (Which would have to be done Per venue as they change. Cause even more setup time.) The infrastructure to set this up, use it properly, and pull out in 20 min is just not there. Professionals doing this for large show production spend a couple hours a day getting this ready in a venue. It's impossible to get it done in 5 min.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I love these robots. Always wondered how they got the ambechure right to play brass instruments. We all know it's not just passing air through. You gotta make that buzz, and make it right. I wish I could get a closer look.