Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

whomever is responsible for allowing this cat out the bag should be kicked off the board as well. No emoji's just for you. 

2 hours ago, brians said:

Well, I was sitting just a few rows down from the chief judge, and I can tell you it did interfere with the cadets show.

Penalty rules are often not enforced until the first regional. Or so I have heard. A few years ago, Bluecoats did a pre-show cheer so loud in the tunnel at Akron that it marred the ballad in Phantom's show (I gather Bloo was mortified when they realized they had been heard). And because that show was recorded for the season-opening cinema screening, everyone across the country got to hear it. There was no penalty. (I wrote to DCI a the time inquiring why not, but never heard back.)

Does anyone know how much these microphones are costing the corps? I know that when we produce a musical (not too often), microphone costs often are pretty significant part of the total budget.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Does anyone know how much these microphones are costing the corps? I know that when we produce a musical (not too often), microphone costs often are pretty significant part of the total budget.

Not just the cost of mics, but all equipment associated with amplification, as well the need to lease an extra truck to haul all spare equipment/props and pay for extra fuel.

this discussion is becoming a lot like the question of what should be given more credit, playing standing still or on the march.  In the end, I foresee there only being 1-2 GE judges in the box giving a ranking at the end of a show.  Is almost what it is already. Do what ever you want for the allotted length of time, recorded or live music with members creating formations accented by stuff spun and thrown around. 

Edited by brians

Around 0.0009% of those who have attended DCI Finals since this poll first appeared in 2011 have voted in this thread. Yep, the corps design teams sure are shaking in their boots to appease us DCP grumps!!

Edited by Stu

2015, Crown lost the gold due to an electronic failure but only because it killed the corps performance and not because of the failure itself. Bloo had some speaker failure during finals too; I recall a rash of staff error at finals but alas, its for the show and the kids

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I don't understand it either. All four of the major American professional sports leagues' rulebooks can be found on their websites. Even BOA and, to an extent, WGI publish their handbooks for the world to see. Just because DCI is the "big leagues" of the outdoor marching world, doesn't mean we don't have the right to see the rules that govern the organization.

All you have to do is call them and ask.  Costs you about $40.  It's not some secret conspiracy.

Mike