Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:21 AM, DrumManTx said:

After tonight and my shows last year I'm about at my limit with this and have had it with thunderous goo.  There were two hornlines amping their lines that DEFINITLEY did not need to and two that seem like they're doing it to boost their volume and it just sounded bad.  More on that later.......

Read your review. Agree 110%. It's LOUD, and not in a "Wow, they are playing those Bb's like G horns" loud. It's synthetically loud when it really doesn't have to be, especially with that amazing music and talented hornline...

Edited by Treefidy

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

Unfortunately, good seats are frequently purchased well in advance of program reveals. Airline and hotels rooms book well in advance as well.

But if fans become disgruntled enough with the product they are receiving they will stop purchasing Finals tickets, Arline tickets, and Motel bookings in advance 'for the following season'.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

But if fans become disgruntled enough with the product they are receiving they will stop purchasing Finals tickets, Arline tickets, and Motel bookings in advance 'for the following season'.

I agree with your points and boycotting remedies. I would not have gone to Broken Arrow this year if I had known in advance what the shows would be like. I was responding to your post on page 14 where you recommended boycotting THIS YEAR. Go and read your post.

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

I agree with your points and boycotting remedies. I would not have gone to Broken Arrow this year if I had known in advance what the shows would be like. I was responding to your post on page 14 where you recommended boycotting THIS YEAR. Go and read your post.

This thread was created in 2011; and even at the point it was 'fast forwarded' to 2017 the percentage at the time it was bumped was at 41% who had answered they would stop attending DCI events if brass were amplified.  I never advocated for anyone who was was not part of that 41% to boycott; all I did with item (C) of my posting on page 14 was to advocate those 41% to stay true to their word, indicate that if anyone made that claim and still went to a DCI event after that claim they were being hypocritical, and moreover if the grumps on DCP actually reflected the attitude of most fans that the ticket sales at DCI events would have dropped 41% since 2011.  And since your premise is the drop would be in 2018 not 2017, that will be validated or not come September 2018.  But my guess is that while some may indeed stop going, the overwhelming majority of those 41% who 'claim' they will stop going are just hot air DCP grumps who will end up attending DCI events this year, the next, and the next.