Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

6 minutes ago, BozzlyB said:

Anyone who thinks this isn't already happening hasn't seen Bluecoats this year. There are mics all over their production.

I've heard it is Bluecoats...Phantom Regiment..and to a little extent SCV....are there any others you are aware of this season?  I haven't been to a live show yet.  I was perplexed when I watched a recent SCV practice video on YouTube...I said to myself...hmmmm...that's interesting...Is that sound artificial? ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to understand how it all works and blends but what does stand out to me is:

I think what the Bluecoats have done over the past few years with mics and effects has generally been good. They have created different voices and atmospheres. Not clear on the 2017 show as I've not seen it enough yet to fully grasp how they are approaching it. Cadets use of the choir has been great. Cavaliers are creating some interesting distortions that add to their show. Blue Knights processing of the snare solo is extremely creative. 

Am so far NOT a fan of what SCV is doing. Even on Flo, it is really, really noticeable (to me - someone who is not usually keyed in to the nuances of a hornline) that a small ensemble is playing most of the difficult parts of the music with the help of amplification, while the rest of the horns are adding filler. Their designers specifically mention this in some of the video explanations. The sound is weird and it seems like a bridge too far to give the most challenging parts to the best-of-the-best and then make it louder. It does seem to go against the idea that the bulk of what we are seeing is supposed to be an evaluated live performance, created entirely by the full complement of musicians on the field. Some others may be doing this as well (Phantom?), but SCV is the one that jumped out at me.

Electronics and amps have really added some great stuff, but it may be time to define the parameters a bit more.

I agree with you on SCV completely. There is something deceptive or dare I say "morally" wrong with micing your best players to play intricate parts and trying to pass that off as the full ensemble playing together. 

One could argue that they're solos, but I really don't see it that way because they would be highlighted visually if that was the case

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, BozzlyB said:

Anyone who thinks this isn't already happening hasn't seen Bluecoats this year. There are mics all over their production.

A bit of a strawman dont you think? No one is claiming that this isn't happening

• Like 1

I responded to this Roundtable Talk video a short time ago when it appeared on the DCA Forum. The gentlemen discusses a serious concern as our art form morphs merrily along. Designers DO have a way of pushing boundaries, don't they? There is an uptick in the use of sound enhancements this year. That's obvious. But, what about continuing next year and the year after that? Makes me apprehensive. I think we can all agree "LOUD" is a popular characteristic. Is there a limit to how much and how we get there? Should be, I think.

Answer this question, please, if you know the truth . . . . .

A friend claims when watching/listening to contemporary corps, what a soloist plays might actually have been pre-recorded earlier

Really?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I've heard it is Bluecoats...Phantom Regiment..and to a little extent SCV....are there any others you are aware of this season?  I haven't been to a live show yet.  I was perplexed when I watched a recent SCV practice video on YouTube...I said to myself...hmmmm...that's interesting...Is that sound artificial? ...

I heard BD is also amping their hornline. Maybe even Crown. But I haven't heard enough to determine whether that's actually the case or not.

To add to this conversation, I hope the Rules Congress/BOD looks at the issue this offseason and comes up with a solution that will limit, if not end, the use of overhead mics.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I responded to this Roundtable Talk video a short time ago when it appeared on the DCA Forum. The gentlemen discusses a serious concern as our art form morphs merrily along. Designers DO have a way of pushing boundaries, don't they? There is an uptick in the use of sound enhancements this year. That's obvious. But, what about continuing next year and the year after that? Makes me apprehensive. I think we can all agree "LOUD" is a popular characteristic. Is there a limit to how much and how we get there? Should be, I think.

Answer this question, please, if you know the truth . . . . .

A friend claims when watching/listening to contemporary corps, what a soloist plays might actually have been pre-recorded earlier

Really?

WOW...if true...that has gone way too far IMO...

Edited by Liahona

coming up to a mic for a solo is one thing --

but putting wireless mics on the bells of your best 16 horn MM the way SCV is doing is quite another --

in rehearsal I have heard the SCV staff instruct the board operator to boost levels for the mic'd players at high impact parts of the show to give the overall ensemble a boost - this is why Vanguard sounds so loud this year -- 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liahona said:

FAST FORWARD TO 2017!!!!!

And where are we now folks?  I am VERY concerned now...

This VIDEO has not gotten enough traction IMO...there's been some discussion....but I AM VERY ALARMED actually...Is it cheating? well maybe I won't go that far...but I can say I DO NOT LIKE IT...this is a PERFORMANCE BASED ACTIVITY...SAD!

Agree, dunno if cheating is the right word... but it's definitely lame. 

• Like 1

Since many a corps will stand still while playing a tough part, an on field judge covering the brass, might take the initiative and walk close enough to the section and observe who is or is not playing without getting in the way of fast movement out of their position.