Does anyone happen to have an audio copy of Southwind's 2000 show now that I'm thinking about it. I can't get the torrent I'm using to download it -.-

• 2 weeks later...

At one point there was a DCA corps based in Louisville (Derby City Knights), I marched there back in '08 and haven't really heard anything from them since.

Hi there ,anything new since we last spoke here .I would think DCA would be a better place for you ,Frist you wouldn't have the expense of travel you would have in DCI .Shenandoah Sound runs a show in Virgina every year. So does Alliance and the Corps Vets in Georgia .I would think Carolina Gold might run a show if there where more southern corps .Right now your looking at for next year if the ones who took a year off to rebuild make it back out

Alliance ---Atlanta Ga.*

Corps Vets --Atlanta Ga*

Carolina Gold --N.Carolina

Arkanasas Thunder

Tampa Bay Thunder Fl.*

Shenandoah Sound Vr*

Sun Devils ,Fl.

Music City Legion ,Nashville

Best of luck with what ever you choose but i know DCA would welcome you .

I think Derby City Knights is still trying to put some thing together to get out on the field .

If each and everyone of theses corps makes it out next year ,thats 8 corps .And if most if not all ran a show you've got a full summer of contests before DCA in Maryland .Not bad for the southern tier of DCA.

* corps that ran a show this year Tampa Bay Thunder had planed 2 shows but when Alliance and the Corps Vets pulled out they went with the one show .

Edited by Florida Sun

Cincinnati tradition would love to have you as well as the Atlanta CorpsVets and Alliance. Lots of great places left to march.

As far as Southwind goes I think they are pretty much dead in the water. The silence you are getting says it all.

There used to be a corps before Derby City Knights in Louisville, but they went out around 2000. Lots of potential with Indiana and Ohio nearby, which hosts lots of DCI style shows. Glassmen, Bluecoats, Star Alumni, Cincinnati Tradition, Corpsvets, Alliance, Music City Legend, and other up for a road trip type options(hopefully those are all still active). Kentucky hasn't really had a good track record for longevity of corps. Although it has had a few over the years.

There used to be a corps before Derby City Knights in Louisville, but they went out around 2000. Lots of potential with Indiana and Ohio nearby, which hosts lots of DCI style shows. Glassmen, Bluecoats, Star Alumni, Cincinnati Tradition, Corpsvets, Alliance, Music City Legend, and other up for a road trip type options(hopefully those are all still active). Kentucky hasn't really had a good track record for longevity of corps. Although it has had a few over the years.

The area that we here call the tri state, hasn't had a good track record since the 60's and early 70's, when we had no less than 6 junior corps, each within a 45 minute drive of eachother. Pride of Cincinnati did alot to redeem that record in the early 80's. There is a large talent pool in cincinnati/northern Kentucky. Cincinnati Tradition (DCA CLASS A) is working hard to recruit some of that talent, for the 2012 DCA season.

• 2 weeks later...

... So my decision is leaning towards starting a new corps.

I want to encourage you to go for your dreams, and do not want to pee in your cheereos, but here goes: Before you even "think" about starting a new corps you should surround yourself first with well experienced older adults who are business owners, lawyers, CPAs, development (funding) professionals, etc... and have them incorporate and run the corps not artistic people. Starting and running a corps is "not" about music/marching; starting and running a corps is, or should be, strictly about legal forms (Incorporation Forms, IRS form 1023 to secure 501c3 status, State registration forms, 990 tax forms) income collection (development and funding) responsible budgeting (revenue vs. outlays, ledger books, inventory control) and other legal matters (insurance, child welfare and safety). Just look at the demise of most corps over the years, as well as look at why those which are successful are also financially solvent, and you will have a real eye opener on this subject.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Edited by silvertrombone

• 2 weeks later...

Long lives Southwind, deads in the water is a very stronge choice of words there my friend. if you would like to contribute to their return you can visit their site a donate a buck or two to their cause. any size donations are welcome BIG or small every penny counts.

• 10 months later...

That's what I was considering at first, I just need to find the people to do it and instruments, especially tubas lol

A great way to get a minicorps instrumented is to partner up with a local HS program. You can maybe donate to their boosters and they can let you borrow the low brass you need if it doesn't conflict with their needs of course. Even as a six time DCA Minicorps champion, my group still relies heavily on our friends at Carmel HS for tubas and marimbas and such.

Minicorps is a great way to 'dip your toe' without making a major investment.