stuck mouth pieces

stein456

Another vote for buying a mouthpiece puller. I'm also curious why they're a constant problem. If you use a different mouthpiece, does the same thing happen? Or is it that specific piece?

Is there a taper problem with the shank? Is the player using too much pressure?

I've never heard of a situation where the shank has a problem, except as a result of abuse or accident. It may be a result of expansion of the metal, since the players are blowing warm air into a cool or cold metal instrument.

I suggest you invest in a mouthpiece puller and use a cloth to protect the mouthpiece. There are two preventative measures that might apply to you: first, have the students blow warm air through their mouthpieces and then into the lead pipe of their instruments for a few minutes before they play. Once both the mouthpiece and the lead pipe are warmed separately, join them. I learned in school that you should keep your mouthpiece warm in your pocket when it is not in use and while playing in cold environments. The second preventative measure I suggest is to teach them how to play with a minimum of mouthpiece pressure. This involves using more effort in the embouchure and facial muscles to support the pucker; we could dub this "facial muscle support", I guess. To avoid injury, suggest that they use more pucker in their embouchures (EDIT: this is very subtle, so have them experiment with it until they get it working for them); this provides more of a buffer between the teeth and the mouthpiece and will also allow greater flexibility in producing a variety of tones, as demanded by certain music and desired by musicians. You see, the position of the lips on the mouthpiece, especially the lower lip, determines what kind of tone is produced...

Edited by SonataForumusic.com

Some of the less expensive horns out there have occasional issues with the leadpipe manufacturing where mouthpieces just seem to get stuck no matter what. My observation has been that they aren't consistent from horn to horn, and if this is something your kids are renting most music stores with an ounce of good customer service will swap out the horn for something different.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Sounds like the "puller" is the way to go. Just wondering if the puller works with the plastic KELLY'S ? Again any data would be much appreciated.

How about cleaning the inside of the leadpipe where the mouthpiece goes in? Mebbe part of the problem?

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Sounds like the "puller" is the way to go. Just wondering if the puller works with the plastic KELLY'S ? Again any data would be much appreciated.

The mouthpiece puller will work with ALL mouthpieces, no issues whatsoever.

Unless, of course, the mouthpiece was installed with an air-hammer.

That is one of those things where I look at the horn, look at my student, back at the horn again, almost ask them how the ****....

then I give up and remember it takes all types, and they will only find something else to screw up later anyway!

The mouthpiece puller will work with ALL mouthpieces, no issues whatsoever.

Actually, it won't work on ALL mouthpieces. Try removing an IYM mellophone mouthpiece with one:

Kerchner%20big2.jpg

But it will work on most mouthpieces that utilize a more traditional profile.