I was looking over scores, primarily Cru scores. Was noticing that we (cru) weren't doing great from June 30th to August 4th. All of a sudden the corps goes up almost 8 points. At the Scranton show we are beat by Steel City and Skyliners and then the next week we beat Cabs and Westshore and eventually beat Steel and Sky at championships.

My question, and maybe Tom Peashey can explain...What happened? I don't remember. Was it when Steve Brubaker came in?

pretty much everyone in the top 7 beat everyone else that summer

it was a combination of demanding drill taking time to "figure it out" - inexperienced management (ME!) figuring "it" out (whatever "it" is) - and some successful late recruiting...

early season - it was Mickey Petrone who stood next to me and said "You will do some damage at finals" I looked at him like a fool and said "You really think so?" guess he always new what he was talking about... but it was a rough road in the beginning of the season.

I don't remember seeing the Crusaders until the championships that year.... but the corps was terrific that weekend!

We (Steel City) had a big corps in 1990. But...... not a "clean" corps. Intonation was a problem, all season. If you remember, we tied that year at the Rochester show and went off the field togeather, as we did in 1989 at finals! (Steel and Cru).... fun times!

I just remember the day of the Reading show, our first of the year, we learned 15 pages of drill to finish the show and did it that night. we barely touched anything before those 15 pages all day...and somehow we won

I have a DVD that someone sent me of that show and what I hated about the show...the uniforms! That was it. I bet if the uni's were better we would have scored higher.

The drill was a bear! About 6 months before the summer I played a basketball game for the school I worked for against the Buffalo Bills. I went for a ball that was heading out of bounds, jumped, threw the ball in bounds and landed on my left ankle. No insurance I suffered. All summer long my ankle was killing me. The Brubaker drill was a killer! The people that made up the horn line were awesome! I joined in April and was also taking care of my son while his Mom was in Army basic training. I have to say that the corps helped me out by finding someone to watch him during the weekends.

Tom, you did an awesome job that year!

Hey Keith, was that the year I smashed a caption trophy in Pittsburgh? Not one of my finer moments, but hey - it seemed to work... I really think that the first half of the season the corps did not realize or believe how good we were... then, it came together... top 5 without a doubt...

Hey Keith, was that the year I smashed a caption trophy in Pittsburgh? Not one of my finer moments, but hey - it seemed to work... I really think that the first half of the season the corps did not realize or believe how good we were... then, it came together... top 5 without a doubt...

tsk, tsk, tsk Tom. And all along folks here thought that just Wink and Jumpin' Joe did such things.

Felt good though, didn't it?

Ray

tsk, tsk, tsk Tom. And all along folks here thought that just Wink and Jumpin' Joe did such things.

Felt good though, didn't it?

Ray

Well I had great lessons some 25 years earlier... as Jumpin' Joe tossed the trophy toward our horn line on the field in RFK stadium "Here, you guys can have the f.......... thing" and it crashed near my feet.

Edited by TomPeashey