What does Deborah Torchia have against the Cavaliers?

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I would like to see some empirical evidence one way or the other.  Has anyone compiled long term how this judge scores each corps relative to other judges?

Yes. This researcher did, and he came up with some compelling data on long time DCI Judge Debbie Torchia.

Image result for funny researchers at work.... gifs

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

especially if things don't go the way some want

The bright side is even they will grow out of it and get the richness, fulfillment & enjoyment the rest of us do at dci. I don't like what I don't like and like it that way, till my likes change.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I would like to see some empirical evidence one way or the other.  Has anyone compiled long term how this judge scores each corps relative to other judges?

Haha, you came to the wrong thread. This is not about objective standards. This is the whiney thread.

• Like 1

Many modern day Academic researchers are increasingly finding corroborating evidence that most all Conspiracy Theories can be directly traced to this single source of origins that make most of them very scientifically believable now.

Related image

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Many modern day Academic researchers are increasingly finding corroborating evidence that most all Conspiracy Theories can be directly traced to this single source of origins that make most of them very scientifically believable now.

Related image

I bet you could find Roman's hat hiding in that hair....

• Haha 2

Deborah, has been around for many years.  She is one of the top judges and calls it like she sees it.....and will not be intimidated.  She has heard this kind of griping before.  Every corps at one time or another through the years has been on the critical side of Deborah.   It often makes corps work harder and take a good look at themselves.  Hard to pull the wool over her eyes.  Could it be cavies just didn't have a good show?  She will not reward you for drops or timing issues that is a given.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, brians said:

She will not reward you for drops or timing issues that is a given.

Then the BD guard must have a great routine since they had at least one up close and personal drop and some have posted maybe two.

1 hour ago, brians said:

Deborah, has been around for many years.  She is one of the top judges and calls it like she sees it.....and will not be intimidated.  She has heard this kind of griping before.  Every corps at one time or another through the years has been on the critical side of Deborah.   It often makes corps work harder and take a good look at themselves.  Hard to pull the wool over her eyes.  Could it be cavies just didn't have a good show?  She will not reward you for drops or timing issues that is a given.

Well, many would disagree, that's for sure BUT as to the call it as they see it statement. This statement was used often back in the day and doesn't hold water today. A judge will be called out and better have a good reason for the WHY's. BITD the conversation stopped with " I called it as I saw it " , no accountability.

Now, the drop statement. Unless it was a hot mess, drops are not judged as they were back in the day. If drops totally ruined an effect etc etc.thats a different story. It is looked at differently from the tic days.

Example: I believe it was BCoats: an effect that directed you even from corps to guard with the climax being a guard effect.

( single person ) they drop. effect lost.

Now with all that said YES it could be Cavies just had a bad day or someone had a better day. This also goes for a poster who said " Why did BDs guard beat Boston when it was the other way around a week ago. I don't even get a statement like that.

You are also right She has heard this kind of griping about her in the past.

Edited by GUARDLING

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes. This researcher did, and he came up with some compelling data on long time DCI Judge Debbie Torchia.

Unless your research includes all the judge's tapes that go with those numbers, and notes from critique feedback, your research is flawed to the point of meaningless. Numbers don't exist in a vacuum, and unless you have the commentary that those numbers are derived from, you might as well toss all that "data" in the trash.