What does Deborah Torchia have against the Cavaliers?

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

I would like to see some empirical evidence one way or the other.  Has anyone compiled long term how this judge scores each corps relative to other judges?

let's not bring logic into this discussion!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well, many would disagree, that's for sure BUT as to the call it as they see it statement. This statement was used often back in the day and doesn't hold water today. A judge will be called out and better have a good reason for the WHY's. BITD the conversation stopped with " I called it as I saw it " , no accountability.

Now, the drop statement. Unless it was a hot mess, drops are not judged as they were back in the day. If drops totally ruined an effect etc etc.thats a different story. It is looked at differently from the tic days.

Example: I believe it was BCoats: an effect that directed you even from corps to guard with the climax being a guard effect.

( single person ) they drop. effect lost.

Now with all that said YES it could be Cavies just had a bad day or someone had a better day. This also goes for a poster who said " Why did BDs guard beat Boston when it was the other way around a week ago. I don't even get a statement like that.

You are also right She has heard this kind of griping about her in the past.

I am sure Deborah can back up why she called (judged) a show the way she did.  She would not continue to consistently be a judge at majors for as long as she has if she couldn't. 

As far as drops go, you are correct, drops are not judged as they once were ie.... a tick per drop etc... but, make no mistake about it.  If you have numerous drops, especially at high impact moments, and the momentum of the moment is disrupted by it, or you see drops outright numerous times throughout a show, you will be docked for it.  With so many good guards and only tenths separating some from others, if  a guard with basically the same level of difficulty, but one is dropping more than the other, the less dropping corps is going to get the judges tenth over the other. Same goes for timing issues

Edited by brians

On 7/23/2011 at 1:08 PM, euphman89 said:

People, drum corps is art that is subjectively judged by others and then arbitrarily assigned a score. I guarantee that if you focus on the product of the corps over the product of the judges you will enjoy drum corps more (especially this year).

Here is the simple thing and it had been going on since the beginning of drum corps judging and scoring  .  if there's a particular judge that either is favorable or unfavorable toward a certain corps it  should be highlighted and should be brought to the attention of the DCI judge coordinator because it should not be.   This definitely happens  and the members work too  hard for certain judges  to be allowed to do this. 

By the way I'm not saying this just for this particular judge because I don't know the history but just in a general sense 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

Now, if you really want to get into a discussion about judges:  How are judges selected for what shows and for what captions?  Try to get the answer to that.  Does DCI pick them out of a hat randomly?   Who makes the selections for the majors and finals week?  The head judge? The corps? the DCI artistic director? The DCI board?  Dan Aitcheson?  If you find out the answer to this, you get a gold star!!!!! Good luck!

16 minutes ago, brians said:

I am sure Deborah can back up why she called (judged) a show the way she did.  She would not continue to consistently be a judge at majors for as long as she has if she couldn't. 

As far as drops go, you are correct, drops are not judged as they once were ie.... a tick per drop etc... but, make no mistake about it.  If you have numerous drops, especially at high impact moments, and the momentum of the moment is disrupted by it, or you see a drop outright numerous times throughout a show, you will be docked for it.  With so many good guards and only tenths separating some from others, if  a guard with basically the same level of difficulty, but one is dropping more than the other, the less dropping corps is going to get the judges tenth over the other. Same goes for timing issues

This is true and basically what I said. If something is a hot mess is one thing OR a directional effort missed that's another thing also. It can also go far beyond just the guard score also. People forget that the guard as a whole is also a part of a bigger picture and affects a multitude of things OR CAN.

Now as far as Debbie, I'll just leave it at that. BUT I will say IF there are those who truly believe something something is there, I encourage them to call it out to who you need to instead of the court of public and bias opinion. There is a system.

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

This is true and basically what I said. If something is a hot mess is one thing OR a directional effort missed that's another thing also. It can also go far beyond just the guard score also. People forget that the guard as a whole is also a part of a bigger picture and affects a multitude of things OR CAN.

Now as far as Debbie, I'll just leave it at that. BUT I will say IF there are those who truly believe something something is there, I encourage them to call it out to who you need to instead of the court of public and bias opinion. There is a system.

I agree with both these statements, yeaaaaah

• Thanks 1

Q: What does DT have against the Cavies?

A: Easy! They can’t do hairflips! :w00t: :guinesssmilie:

Maybe if the CG added hair extensions they could...my eyes!!!! They buuuurnnnn!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Unless your research includes all the judge's tapes that go with those numbers, and notes from critique feedback, your research is flawed to the point of meaningless. Numbers don't exist in a vacuum, and unless you have the commentary that those numbers are derived from, you might as well toss all that "data" in the trash.

If that were true most research would be meaningless.  It isn't.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, brians said:

Now, if you really want to get into a discussion about judges:  How are judges selected for what shows and for what captions?  Try to get the answer to that.  Does DCI pick them out of a hat randomly?   Who makes the selections for the majors and finals week?  The head judge? The corps? the DCI artistic director? The DCI board?  Dan Aitcheson?  If you find out the answer to this, you get a gold star!!!!! Good luck!

As recently as a few seasons ago, at least, the artistic director had a large, perhaps final, say on who judged what and when.

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If that were true most research would be meaningless.  It isn't.

It is when you're accusing a drum corps judge of bias. The numbers don't tell a story without the commentary and critique feedback.

• Like 3