What does Deborah Torchia have against the Cavaliers?

I have way too little information to make any kind of judgment about DT and whether she is biased, but a post a while back suggested that she prefers a different style of guard design than what the Cavies usually implement.  In my opinion, that is the definition of bias.  I think corps should be judged on how well they accomplish what they set out to do, how difficult it is, and how integrated a certain element is into to show as a whole. Judges shouldn’t impose their own stylistic preferences on corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I have way too little information to make any kind of judgment about DT and whether she is biased, but a post a while back suggested that she prefers a different style of guard design than what the Cavies usually implement.  In my opinion, that is the definition of bias.  I think corps should be judged on how well they accomplish what they set out to do, how difficult it is, and how integrated a certain element is into to show as a whole. Judges shouldn’t impose their own stylistic preferences on corps.

Yes: Judging is not about what I* would think of a specific design choice( In terms of style ) BUT has it come across as the designers intended and the MMs delivered....or not

2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Unless your research includes all the judge's tapes that go with those numbers, and notes from critique feedback, your research is flawed to the point of meaningless. Numbers don't exist in a vacuum, and unless you have the commentary that those numbers are derived from, you might as well toss all that "data" in the trash.

?????????. Homer Simpson was my GIF reply.  LOL!!.   I'm on record... or at least thought so... that the attack on Debbie Torchia is so ridiculous some of the responses displayed  regarding her on this thread could be viewed as the work of misogynists.  DCI currently has 124 licensed Judges.  All 13 judges last summer on Finals Night were male.  The numbers of female judges is quite small in number. Are we to believe that only this female judge has this human  character flaw called prejudice and bias toward others ? And its directed toward the Cavaliers Corps because of her " gender ", and their " gender " ?  Well, from reading this thread, it would appear some here believe precisely that. They even posted as such. To my knowledge no other DCI male judge has a long standing DCP thread that discusses THEIR " bias" nor any alleged " favoritism " thats gender based either. This thread was started in 2011. But from reading some of the responses posted on it... some as recently as 24-72 hours ago,... one could swear the thread was started in 1911, not 2011. I tried to make humor out of the silly judge conspiracy theories, but reading the posts that have the earmarks of possible misogyny behind them are not humorous, imo  They're just a few pages back for all to read and to wince a bit with those cringe worthy remarks about this long standing DCI female judge.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

?????????. Homer Simpson was my GIF reply.  LOL!!.   I'm on record... or at least thought so... that the attack on Debbie Torchia is so ridiculous some of the responses displayed  regarding her on this thread could be viewed as the work of misogynists.  DCI currently has 124 licensed Judges.  All 13 judges last summer on Finals Night were male.  The numbers of female judges is quite small in number. Are we to believe that only this female judge has this human  character flaw called prejudice and bias toward others ? And its directed toward the Cavaliers Corps because of her " gender ", and their " gender " ?  Well, from reading this thread, it would appear some here believe precisely that. They even posted as such. To my knowledge no other DCI male judge has a long standing DCP thread that discusses THEIR " bias" nor any alleged " favoritism " thats gender based either. This thread was started in 2011. But from reading some of the responses posted on it... some as recently as 24-72 hours ago,... one could swear the thread was started in 1911, not 2011. I tried to make humor out if the silly judge conspiracy theories, but reading the posts that have the earmarks of possible misogyny behind them are not humorous, imo  They're just a few pages back for all to read and to wince a bit with those cringe worthy remarks about this long standing DCI female judge.

Sorry, man, I missed the sarcasm of the gif...got 'em turned off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Sorry, man, I missed the sarcasm of the gif...got 'em turned off.

No problem.. that explains well your initial response, that had me wondering where the heck that came from.

34 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

?????????. Homer Simpson was my GIF reply.  LOL!!.   I'm on record... or at least thought so... that the attack on Debbie Torchia is so ridiculous some of the responses displayed  regarding her on this thread could be viewed as the work of misogynists.  DCI currently has 124 licensed Judges.  All 13 judges last summer on Finals Night were male.  The numbers of female judges is quite small in number. Are we to believe that only this female judge has this human  character flaw called prejudice and bias toward others ? And its directed toward the Cavaliers Corps because of her " gender ", and their " gender " ?  Well, from reading this thread, it would appear some here believe precisely that. They even posted as such. To my knowledge no other DCI male judge has a long standing DCP thread that discusses THEIR " bias" nor any alleged " favoritism " thats gender based either. This thread was started in 2011. But from reading some of the responses posted on it... some as recently as 24-72 hours ago,... one could swear the thread was started in 1911, not 2011. I tried to make humor out of the silly judge conspiracy theories, but reading the posts that have the earmarks of possible misogyny behind them are not humorous, imo  They're just a few pages back for all to read and to wince a bit with those cringe worthy remarks about this long standing DCI female judge.

The struggle is real.  Still. 

• Sad 2

You all know she placed BD 3rd in achievement at DCI SE right?  Sure content got them the win but as someone else has pointed out it's not the first time BD won content on the sheets.  We all have our preferences in design from guard to percussion.  I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine.  Different strokes for different folks and that's the beauty of the activity.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

It would be great to prove any such misogynists wrong with a comprehensive review that shows no significant pattern of inconsistency with the judging community at large.

All DCI judges have periodic peer reviews. All DCI Judges provide post show critiques, and their explanations of the scoring to the Corps in Competition. DCI Corps Directors, Corps Mgt are allowed to express their displeasures on any Judge to the DCI Judging Committee. They do take advantage on this on occasion. Judges do NOT stay in DCI without a demonstration of impartiality in their scoring. Judges HAVE been removed by the DCI Judging Steering Committee when compelling evidence has been introduced to show a lack of impartiality on the part of that Judge. It is true that many fans do not know that DCI has comprehensive peer review mechanisms in place to sanction and even remove judges from judging shows. Many fans do not know that Deb Torchia has the support of the DCI Judging Community, nor that She has been judging for decades. As such it is not up to any " fans " here on DCP, to attempt to " prove " anything at all, regarding this judge, as most fans here are not in any position to judge her qualifications, nor her level of character., nor alleged bias.  Most here don't know her from a hole in the wall. The DCI Judge Steering Committee is the place where ALL these judges have to annually " prove " both their competency as well as their continued impartiality as a requirement for the continuance of their license to judge shows in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1