DCA: 1971 - 2011

that was the night cru first put the girl with the a-flag up on a shield. 13 feet in the air. the crowd went wild. what a night.

You can hear the crowd reaction to that move on the Finals album. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Comparing 1971 drum corps to the 2011 version is an apples to oranges deal--so much has changed, it's a different activity now. But for sheer entertainment, thrills and excitement, I'd take the top 10 from 1971 DCA finals at Aquinas Stadium over 2011 anytime. Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, and Caballeros were absolutely electric! Not to mention, Buccaneers, Crusaders, Hurricanes, Les Dips, Sunrisers, and Brigadiers. And a huge crowd that filled the concert side from goal line to goal line and loved every minute of a truly great show.

For sheer competitiveness 71 was a great year but better then 72? hmmmm....I don't think so. That was the year that everyone in the top 5 beat everyone else and anyone in that top 5 was a legitimate contender to win. That hasn't happended since and probably will not happen again.

To the original OPs question. The best thing to happen to DCA is the expansion of the activity nation wide. The references were to 71 and other years. But if DCA was following the model of 1971 today, It would be dead in the water. To many corps in the North East have gone under and it doesn't look like they're coming back.

• 1 month later...

Lets not forget folks when prelims and finals were in one day. Talk about a long day. As a kid I would go early with my dad and sit through all the prelims next to him while corps came to him to check the their scores before they were announced. Then when the last score was announced my dad had little time to get ready for finals. Yes as a kid I was able to sit and watch every corps performance. Those were the days.

You knew which corps was next when they came from the tunnel with their energetic street beats....I will never forget Cabs, Sky, Hurcs, et al....coming from under that horseshoe. I am glad that some of these corps have kept their cadences even now as a part of their tradition.

BTW...you say that there are 22 corps for prelims, but you are not including the mini corps and alumni groups that make DCA the weekend that it is presently. Count those groups in and you have over 40-50 different types of corps to enjoy.

Donny

In 1971 there were 17 corps at DCA Prelims

In 1981 there were 17 corps at DCA Prelims

In 1991 there were 17 corps at DCA Prelims

In 2001 there were 15 corps at DCA Prelims

In 2011 there will be 22 corps at DCA Prelims

(23 if SoCal Dream had been able to make it)

Sounds like DCA is doing something right these days...

In 1971 there were 11 corps at the RCA Championships, two of which also competed at DCA prelims (Pittsburgh Rockets and Guelph Royalaires). That suggests there were at least 26 senior corps in 1971, a few more than 2011. There were more than that of course, some simply did not show up for championship shows for fiscal reasons.

Nonetheless, considering the decimation in the junior ranks, a considerable accomplishment. The juniors ate their young, while the seniors stuck to their knitting?

For sheer competitiveness 71 was a great year but better then 72? hmmmm....I don't think so. That was the year that everyone in the top 5 beat everyone else and anyone in that top 5 was a legitimate contender to win. That hasn't happended since and probably will not happen again.

To the original OPs question. The best thing to happen to DCA is the expansion of the activity nation wide. The references were to 71 and other years. But if DCA was following the model of 1971 today, It would be dead in the water. To many corps in the North East have gone under and it doesn't look like they're coming back.

I agree with you, however not all of what you say is correct. We (Rochester) never beat Sky in 72. Had our big chance in Clifton and gacked. Lost 85.3 to 85.55....and the rest is history.

I agree with you, however not all of what you say is correct. We (Rochester) never beat Sky in 72. Had our big chance in Clifton and gacked. Lost 85.3 to 85.55....and the rest is history.

ed that's true. but if you look at 71 all the corps in finals were quality. you really didn't hear mistakes. in 72 the top 5 were all great but the rest was a big drop off. and yes that clifton show .......well let's just say ................:devil:

ed that's true. but if you look at 71 all the corps in finals were quality. you really didn't hear mistakes. in 72 the top 5 were all great but the rest was a big drop off. and yes that clifton show .......well let's just say ................:devil:

let's not go to Clifton... I was one of the less fortunate who made it through the gate to sky's bus before the cops locked it... I believe you did too...

Let's not go there...

let's not go to Clifton... I was one of the less fortunate who made it through the gate to sky's bus before the cops locked it... I believe you did too...

Let's not go there...

yes i did and the rest is history............

ed that's true. but if you look at 71 all the corps in finals were quality. you really didn't hear mistakes. in 72 the top 5 were all great but the rest was a big drop off.

I'll agree to disagree with you on this, my friend.

A bunch of the corps below that 1972 top five.... Les Diplomates, Yankee Rebels, Sunrisers, Rockets, etc. were really solid.

And that top five... off the charts. IMO still quite possibly the best top five in DCA history.

Then again, the 1971 top three of Sky-Cabs-Rebels wasn't exactly chopped liver. :thumbup: