How do we save Drum Corps

I think this is a fair point. However, it seems to add more ammunition to those who want to maintain differentiation between Drum Corps and Marching Band. Regardless of the reasons, it doesn't make sense to look for more and more ways to make the two unique activities more similar.

My point was that the results of those questions don't add ammunition to any side. They're poorly worded and vague, there's no way to really extrapolate what folks meant when they answered the questions.

DCI died in the early '70s - why are we still beating this dead horse?

Jeez, if true, then a more appropriate question would be.. " why are we still hanging around the carcass of this horse thats been dead for 35 years ? ".

Edited by BRASSO

When they lose money and cannot sustain themselves, and create a bad impression of the activity as a whole.

Who actually makes money at Drum Corps? It's the biggest money sucker of all times. I've talked to show hosts and they are lucky to break even after paying the DCI fees. $15K or more for World show and $7K or more for an Open show. They have to cover the fee then they get to make a profit. Does DCI provide commercials or anything to help out. No, not that I know of.

I had to google what those were... had no idea. Found some videos. I'm sure the guys out there have fun doing it. Not something I would actually ever go see.

Smaller venues for start up and samller groups? Why not? Maybe in smaller towns where there isn't a lot to do these could be successful. Sure seems like a good way to start out at the grass roots level where the community is involved from the start.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. Time for DCI to go, and I have just the right replacement, at the right time.

I have decided to start the wvu80 Drum Corps Circuit. (let's see, that would be the WDCC. I can't start this thing if I don't have a good name for it, right?)

I want all the drum corps directors, or people who have ever wanted to start a drum corps, to send me $5000 to "join in." Then I'll email you with details of where I want your drum corps to meet for shows.

For my part, all I have to have is a neat idea, an email address, then I'll wait for all that money that DCI has been making all these years to start rolling in to me. Of course I can't do this alone. If some of you would like to volunteer due to your love of drum corps, just email me, and I'd be happy to make you Tour Director, or assistant, or something. Goodby, DCI!

Man, this is easier than I thought! :cool:

I believe that we are asking to much of DCI. When most of us started we were just small corps doing local circuits and state championships. I believe we need to get back to this. We are asking new corps to jump in and compete at the DCI level. DCI should not control the activity. They should handle the judging and the regional championships and when a corps evolves to a point when they are good enough then they can go to the major championships. The first 4 or 5 years I was in a corps we never went to these big shows because we weren't good enough and didn't have the money. Any ideas ?

This is a good point. In the old days, corps were locally based, rehearsed at home, did a few shows and....every now and then, might have traveled to a "championship" event of some kind. Fees were mostly reasonable.

That activity still exists. It's called high school marching band. There are hundreds of them.

• Like 2

That activity still exists. It's called high school marching band. There are hundreds of them.

If the band competes and for the 3-4 years you're in HS.. then poof..

Of course the sound is different but anymore DC is defined by "expereince" as if nothing else matters....

Edit: Nastier sounding than I intended but was in a Sr side local corps circuit for a few years. Saying the MB = DC back then for those groups would have proved your lack of knowledge. We didn't train people like the local Jrs did BITD but to say MB now is the same as DC then is just to ignore the differences.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This is a good point. In the old days, corps were locally based, rehearsed at home, did a few shows and....every now and then, might have traveled to a "championship" event of some kind. Fees were mostly reasonable.

But a couple of weeks back Daniel reported his neice's band fees were in the neighbourhood of $1.800. I understand that's not all bands but for that school, the program is NOT filling the need of the regional circuit drum corps.

Electronics?

Key of the horns?

Things like this shouldn't make the activity what it is. We all know what makes drum corps what it is.

Those marching, giving everything they have into a few short minutes, making their dreams come true.

It isn't the electronics, cost, key of the instrument, placement of the corps, or distance that demoralize us. It is people that disrespect the activity that we love. I was not around in the era that many of you speak of. Yes, the music was great, but things change and if the activity never evolved as it did, it would not exist AT ALL today. I'm not a huge fan of old time corps. I respect it, but it is not the activity that *I* fell in love with. Our generations are not looking for the same thing. What your generation remembers is not necessarily what mine wants.

In my eyes, people that no longer attend DCI shows because of the usage of electronics are taking support from the kids marching over something they can't control. To me, this is disgusting, pathetic, and childish. If you marched, you remember what it was like going on to the field, displaying your hard work. It is no difference for those participating in corps today. Why are you detracting from their experiences, their dreams, just because of a keyboard?

• Like 1