How do we save Drum Corps

In my eyes, people that no longer attend DCI shows because of the usage of electronics are taking support from the kids marching over something they can't control. To me, this is disgusting, pathetic, and childish. If you marched, you remember what it was like going on to the field, displaying your hard work. It is no difference for those participating in corps today. Why are you detracting from their experiences, their dreams, just because of a keyboard?

Wow. So attending DCI shows is a life sentence. Once you start, you're not allowed to stop because that would be "detracting" from the kids?

Let me ask you. Do you support every one of the millions of youth arts programs or sports activities that exist in this country? Do you attend football, baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc., at the HS and college levels, in every school district in the country? If not, do you donate instead? No? Well, why do you "detract" from all these fine programs?

(sigh)

People support what they choose to support....and they have plenty of worthwhile programs to choose from.

Electronics?

Key of the horns?

Things like this shouldn't make the activity what it is. We all know what makes drum corps what it is.

Those marching, giving everything they have into a few short minutes, making their dreams come true.

It isn't the electronics, cost, key of the instrument, placement of the corps, or distance that demoralize us. It is people that disrespect the activity that we love. I was not around in the era that many of you speak of. Yes, the music was great, but things change and if the activity never evolved as it did, it would not exist AT ALL today. I'm not a huge fan of old time corps. I respect it, but it is not the activity that *I* fell in love with. Our generations are not looking for the same thing. What your generation remembers is not necessarily what mine wants.

In my eyes, people that no longer attend DCI shows because of the usage of electronics are taking support from the kids marching over something they can't control. To me, this is disgusting, pathetic, and childish. If you marched, you remember what it was like going on to the field, displaying your hard work. It is no difference for those participating in corps today. Why are you detracting from their experiences, their dreams, just because of a keyboard?

Wow. How about looking at it another way...freedom of choice perhaps? People are allowed (well at least today) to make choices where they want to spend time and money. If the current DCI corps think they need electronics they will have to live with the consequences of those decisions. Be it good, bad or meh. The big question is WHY you would want to drive away a base of paying customers for a perceived windfall that was never there. Besides, every drum corps experience is different in eras. I can remember countless fund raisers, parades (tons), and second rate buses and full retreats that cut into practice time. I can remember not cutting someone because they had trouble playing a G# in tune but actually working on that person to become better. Deal with it. The experience IS different now. The sound IS different now. DCI Drum corps IS different now. If people decide it's no longer something they want to support that is THEIR choice no matter if you THINK it is petty and irrelevant. To them it is and since THEY are paying for it, and COULD support it, you would THINK you would try and understand it..but hey what do I know about a successful business after 20 years.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wow. How about looking at it another way...freedom of choice perhaps? People are allowed (well at least today) to make choices where they want to spend time and money. If the current DCI corps think they need electronics they will have to live with the consequences of those decisions. Be it good, bad or meh. The big question is WHY you would want to drive away a base of paying customers for a perceived windfall that was never there. Besides, every drum corps experience is different in eras. I can remember countless fund raisers, parades (tons), and second rate buses and full retreats that cut into practice time. I can remember not cutting someone because they had trouble playing a G# in tune but actually working on that person to become better. Deal with it. The experience IS different now. The sound IS different now. DCI Drum corps IS different now. If people decide it's no longer something they want to support that is THEIR choice no matter if you THINK it is petty and irrelevant. To them it is and since THEY are paying for it, and COULD support it, you would THINK you would try and understand it..but hey what do I know about a successful business after 20 years.. :rolleyes:

Well... they added vocals, amplification and electronics... and people freaked out... claiming that it would kill attendance... yet it went up.

Seems the paleo-segment is either a not as significant as it thinks it is... or they love to torture themselves.

Either way, the current path seems to be more or less working.

• Like 2

Not sure what numbers you're looking at, but.... aggregate attendance is up now from the last days of G horns, no vocals, no amps, no electronics.

bizzaro.jpg

A new class

RETRO drum corps

No A&E

no more than 5 in the pit

Drill Style of the 80's-90's

128 member limit

5 circuits

NE

South

Midwest

Southwest

Northwest

You compete in all your regional shows and the top 30% of corps in each division can compete in Championships

Now there's an idea I like.