How do we save Drum Corps

Not sure what numbers you're looking at, but.... aggregate attendance is up now from the last days of G horns, no vocals, no amps, no electronics.

Well, I'm quite sure you aren't even looking at the numbers. But even if you were:

1. The last days of G horns haven't come yet. They're still legal, and still in use in open-class.

2. The last days of "no vocals"? Vocals have always been allowed, to varying degrees. The last rule restriction of any kind on vocals was in 1983.

3. The last days of "no amps" - 2003.

4. The last days of "no electronics" - 2008.

Good luck demonstrating how attendance is up over any of these time frames.

Unfortunately, you couldn't get enough kids interested in participating to fill even one corps, let alone a class.

I'd be about the same level of interest with kids as a Vanilla Ice tribute band.

Your connotation here, Dan, is that the antithesis of this retro circuit, the A&E, the 150 limit, the massive pits, have been what's caused the draw to MM's (and, ergo, without them the kids wouldn't be interested).

Once again here, I request a citation of your facts.

I disagree with your contention - I'm convinced that just as many kids would try out for "retro corps" if it had the same tour schedule as the plugged-in corps. If the show programming gets the fans on their feet the performers will be (were) just as excited to perform as they are doing a Teal show (which, ironically, didn't draw the applause that Scouts did this year. Anecdotal, but evidence none-the-less).

If you can demonstrate facts that more kids are trying out and marching (and, of course that would necessarily include more new corps) because of the new-fangled items, I'll gladly change my opinion on the efficacy of their use outside of for pure entertainment purposes. Until then I contend that the retro circuit would draw as well as, or better, than today's corps.

Not sure what numbers you're looking at, but.... aggregate attendance is up now from the last days of G horns, no vocals, no amps, no electronics.

funny. I believe 99, the last year of all G brass, was higher than this year.

Man, facts suck

Well, I'm quite sure you aren't even looking at the numbers. But even if you were:

1. The last days of G horns haven't come yet. They're still legal, and still in use in open-class.

2. The last days of "no vocals"? Vocals have always been allowed, to varying degrees. The last rule restriction of any kind on vocals was in 1983.

3. The last days of "no amps" - 2003.

4. The last days of "no electronics" - 2008.

Good luck demonstrating how attendance is up over any of these time frames.

sucks being right doesn't it?

:tongue:

funny. I believe 99, the last year of all G brass, was higher than this year.

Man, facts suck

Regionals, focus shows and a lot of little shows have been growing... finals isn't the season. Also, there are 3 theatre events... these didn't even exist years ago. These are events where corps perform, people attend and money is generated.

Edited by danielray

Regionals, focus shows and a lot of little shows have been growing... finals isn't the season. Also, there are 3 theatre events... these didn't even exist years ago. These are events where corps perform, people attend and money is generated.

Corps don't perform at theaters.

Corps don't perform at theaters.

Splitting hairs, audiodb. The fact is that "money" (revenue) IS generated at these events ("focus" shows, theater, etc.) But the fact remains that revenue does not make the season, profit does, and profit has yet to be announced. We'll have to wait for the 990's to appear for that.

Splitting hairs, audiodb. The fact is that "money" (revenue) IS generated at these events ("focus" shows, theater, etc.)

But the post I was replying to was discussing "attendance".

In that context, I don't see it as splitting hairs. If the theater-goers are to be counted as "attendance", then so should the viewers of the PBS and ESPN broadcasts in previous years. But I don't think any of those equate to in-person show attendance.

Splitting hairs, audiodb. The fact is that "money" (revenue) IS generated at these events ("focus" shows, theater, etc.) But the fact remains that revenue does not make the season, profit does, and profit has yet to be announced. We'll have to wait for the 990's to appear for that.

What really matters is that things are more healthy all around. I mean, back in the 90's you had several corps, event top 12 corps running out of money weeks before the end of tour. It was bad.

These days, you have only isolated incidents of instability, very rare, and not in world class.

Things ARE improving. Things ARE absolutely better than before.

The overall quality of experience for participants is better now than it was years ago. I am really impressed with what some organizations are doing.

Right now I'm thinking about where to recommend my young nieces and nephews (I have 28 of them... none are old enough to age out yet) to march next season. It's about where I can trust they will have a good quality of experience. The great thing is that I'd feel good with them going almost anywhere. Really. 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 +.... the options I would feel confident that they would have a positive, safe, educational and high quality experience would be much more limited.

So, to me... this and sustainability (both financial and participation) are the only measurements of progress that really matter at the end of the day.

Edited by danielray

What really matters is that things are more healthy all around. I mean, back in the 90's you had several corps, event top 12 corps running out of money weeks before the end of tour. It was bad.

These days, you have only isolated incidents of instability, very rare, and not in world class.

Things ARE improving. Things ARE absolutely better than before.

The overall quality of experience for participants is better now than it was years ago. I am really impressed with what some organizations are doing.

Right now I'm thinking about where to recommend my young nieces and nephews (I have 28 of them... none are old enough to age out yet) to march next season. It's about where I can trust they will have a good quality of experience. The great thing is that I'd feel good with them going almost anywhere. Really. 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 +.... the options I would feel confident that they would have a positive, safe, educational and high quality experience would be much more limited.

So, to me... this and sustainability (both financial and participation) are the only measurements of progress that really matter at the end of the day.

61HLMAOR8pL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg