How do we save Drum Corps

If the band competes and for the 3-4 years you're in HS.. then poof..

Of course the sound is different but anymore DC is defined by "expereince" as if nothing else matters....

Edit: Nastier sounding than I intended but was in a Sr side local corps circuit for a few years. Saying the MB = DC back then for those groups would have proved your lack of knowledge. We didn't train people like the local Jrs did BITD but to say MB now is the same as DC then is just to ignore the differences.

No, not ignore the difference...realize that there IS no difference between competitive MB and the old local corps circuits, exccept that there are far more kids competing today than before.

• Like 1

Regionals, focus shows and a lot of little shows have been growing... finals isn't the season. Also, there are 3 theatre events... these didn't even exist years ago. These are events where corps perform, people attend and money is generated.

I was referring to all season.

more shows to go to for fans,which led to more fans going.

But the post I was replying to was discussing "attendance".

In that context, I don't see it as splitting hairs. If the theater-goers are to be counted as "attendance", then so should the viewers of the PBS and ESPN broadcasts in previous years. But I don't think any of those equate to in-person show attendance.

and the theaters have a high expense

No, not ignore the difference...realize that there IS no difference between competitive MB and the old local corps circuits, exccept that there are far more kids competing today than before.

There is no difference.. .there is no difference....

Nope still disagree.....

There is no difference.. .there is no difference....

Nope still disagree.....

Well, you are right in way...the average-to-decent competitive band can play and march rings around most of the old small circuit corps of "back then".

• Like 1

Well, you are right in way...the average-to-decent competitive band can play and march rings around most of the old small circuit corps of "back then".

And the average-to-decent corps back then could play and march rings around the average-to-decent competitive band from now. You're trying to compare different eras and levels of ability, Mike. That dog won't hunt. Don't even get me started on marching bands back then. Plus, you forgot the IMO...again.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 1

And the average-to-decent corps back then could play and march rings around the average-to-decent competitive band from now.

Hardly...and since you are looking for an "IMO"...where is yours? Everything we write is our own opinions.

You're trying to compare different eras and levels of ability, Mike. That dog won't hunt. Don't even get me started on marching bands back then. Plus, you forgot the IMO...again.

Garry in Vegas

No, showing Jim how marching.music IMO is far better off today than it was way back when.

• Like 1

Hardly...and since you are looking for an "IMO"...where is yours? Everything we write is our own opinions.

No, showing Jim how marching.music IMO is far better off today than it was way back when.

Looks like you're trying to show Jim how marching, IYHO, is far better off today than it was way back when ( whenever that was).

Then I suggest you compare today's bands to BITD bands. Comparing two styles 40 years apart is ridiculous, IMO. People like you and I were the vanguard of drum corps people who revolutionized the band world. There were no, or precious few, field show competitions. We did one in SoCal my freshman year, but what we did paled in comparison to what we were doing 3 years later. This was between 1968 and 1971. There's been an awful lot of ground covered since then.

But I maintain that your original comparison was apples and oranges. IMO.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor