How do we save Drum Corps

Well, you are right in way...the average-to-decent competitive band can play and march rings around most of the old small circuit corps of "back then".

Oh no arguement there, just disagreeing(sp?) on the todays MB = local Jr corps BITD.. With the caveat that I didn't do Jr corps, or competative MB either.

One thing though, it's my understanding that the local Jrs then taught music to the memebrs along with competing. Todays scholastic music (if it hasn't been cut) has kids learning in elementary school and they are fully trainged musically by the time they hit HS and (maybe) compete. There I'd say todays DC and MB mathc better than a comparison on DC BITD and todays MB.

Well, you are right in way...the average-to-decent competitive band can play and march rings around most of the old small circuit corps of "back then".

In the context of the posts you were replying to (difference between corps and band), your point is not valid. The average-to-decent competitive corps of today can play and march rings around the typical small circuit corps of "back then" in the same manner (at least) as the bands you cite. Or are you contending otherwise?

I usually only watch the highest level of professional sports, World Class is the only level of Drum & Bugle Corps which interests me. I wish these smaller organizations well, but since the whole activity has an extremely small following, I'll continue to be more interested with the major league teams.

So ... the next time someone from the Boston Crusaders approaches me at the Plymouth show or the East Coast Classic asks me to pledge financial support for the BAC program, I guess it's okay for me to respond: " I wish your organization well, but the activity has a limited following in New England and a limited membership of youths from the Greater Boston area. I'll be more interested pledging financial support the local marching bands and local alumni corps." Edited by Navillus WP

Sorry. It's a old-timer response. I'll get back on the bus.

Edited by Navillus WP

• 7 months later...

The average-to-decent competitive corps of today can play and march rings around the typical small circuit corps of "back then" in the same manner (at least) as the bands you cite. Or are you contending otherwise?

Permit me to contend otherwise by pointing out that "back then" the activity was flourishing; one only needs to count the numbers. The product being put out today, rings or no rings, is boring to the general public and to potential new recruits.

Edited by Hup234
  • Like 3

No, not ignore the difference...realize that there IS no difference between competitive MB and the old local corps circuits, exccept that there are far more kids competing today than before.

I really don't care at all about the number of kids competing in MB. I only care about the numbers of kids out there competing in Drum Corps. And the numbers today of marchers competing in Drum Corps is sadly way down today compared with earlier decades.

• Like 1

Some kids also do civil war reenactments... which is basically what this seems to be, reenacting mediocre 70's drum corps.

Apparently the OP never went to many shows in the 70's, they were awful and really painful to sit through. There would be 8-10 corps per show, and they were boring. You had to watch for 2-3 hours to get to the two and if you were lucky, 3 top-6 corps at the very end of the night. If you had the 5th and 2nd best corps from last year, it was a good show.

However, I applaud the OP's call for "us" to save drum corps. I intend to do my part by going to all the shows I can get to this summer, and then buy some souvies and yet another pair of drum sticks with corps names on them. :cool:

+++

Edit: I just checked the dates; I just replied to a post which is is A YEAR AND A HALF OLD! :w00t:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I believe that we are asking to much of DCI. When most of us started we were just small corps doing local circuits and state championships. I believe we need to get back to this. We are asking new corps to jump in and compete at the DCI level. DCI should not control the activity. They should handle the judging and the regional championships and when a corps evolves to a point when they are good enough then they can go to the major championships. The first 4 or 5 years I was in a corps we never went to these big shows because we weren't good enough and didn't have the money. Any ideas ?

I'll be honest...I am jumping in this conversation completely cold (didn't read the 29+ pages).

A couple of thoughts...(and I believe I posted something to this effect in the past)

For the activity to thrive and even survive, corps and DCI overall has to promote/market and raise awareness that this thing DCI (and drum corps overall) exists. Most of the population has no idea what drum corps or dci is. I am probably going to be really unpopular with this one but....to me...corps have to spend less time on the practice fields and more time promoting and performing for the public. Be it concerts in the park, shopping malls, corporate events, amusement parks....etc. Have to raise awareness. Small 'just starting out' rock bands do this all the time...tour around and play every venue possible to try and pickup better gigs and hopefully find the big break. Who knows...maybe someone with deep pockets who see's a corps perform at a corporate convention falls in love with drum corps and pulls a Bill Cook...or AJ Wright....

Also...can't help but think back to Spirit and there terrific relationship with Jacksonville state unniv. Did DCI ever approach/explore college and university music departments to see if they would like to get more involved and best case scenario start a corps?

And finally already mentioned....dci should have a full review of the touring model. Incredibly expensive......in it's current form

• Like 1

I really don't care at all about the number of kids competing in MB. I only care about the numbers of kids out there competing in Drum Corps. And the numbers today of marchers competing in Drum Corps is sadly way down today compared with earlier decades.

I was reading an article on Boy Scouts and it said it was 1/2 the amount of members today than in 1972 and was it relevant anymore. Although many dont like hearing this I think with all kids have today and the so many choices, the civic groups, church groups, etc etc pretty much gone drum corps is doing pretty well.

Apparently the OP never went to many shows in the 70's, they were awful and really painful to sit through. There would be 8-10 corps per show, and they were boring. You had to watch for 2-3 hours to get to the two and if you were lucky, 3 top-6 corps at the very end of the night. If you had the 5th and 2nd best corps from last year, it was a good show.

However, I applaud the OP's call for "us" to save drum corps. I intend to do my part by going to all the shows I can get to this summer, and then buy some souvies and yet another pair of drum sticks with corps names on them. :cool:

+++

Edit: I just checked the dates; I just replied to a post which is is A YEAR AND A HALF OLD! :w00t:

I think it depends on the show and competitors, and judging from "From The Press Box" and "Corpsreps," the area in the country was also a factor. We had quite a few great shows in New England in the 1970;s, the CYO Nationals and World Open come to mind, but this was also at the time 27th, BAC, and North Star were national players and when they hosted shows, they had all the national contenders at one point or another. Of course this was also when many of the local corps were in decline and in the 80's, most were gone.