How do we save Drum Corps

And when DCI destroys the great success it has found by corrupting the activity with sounds and visuals that offend a huge portion of their fan base, we will need these smaller organizations to pick up the pieces and start the cycle once again. We may as well start now.

A startup can't be heard over 4 marimbas!

My point was salient to the above comment. Does my new startup include A&E? G horns? A focus on execution instead of GE? Few designers and more technicians?

How, exactly, do you put the genie back in the bottle?

A startup can't be heard over 4 marimbas!

My point was salient to the above comment. Does my new startup include A&E? G horns? A focus on execution instead of GE? Few designers and more technicians?

How, exactly, do you put the genie back in the bottle?

As in the legends, dismiss the genie and start without him.

If you're starting up in a local circuit, chances are nobody has the A&E or mass marimbas. They will be playing whatever key horns they could afford to get. No Joneses to keep up with.

I think you start with the basics. Horns, drums, flags. Grow from there if you can but I wouldn't advocate huge pits and certainly not A&E. Expensive and superfluous.

A new class

RETRO drum corps

No A&E

no more than 5 in the pit

Drill Style of the 80's-90's

128 member limit

5 circuits

NE

South

Midwest

Southwest

Northwest

You compete in all your regional shows and the top 30% of corps in each division can compete in Championships

• Like 2

How is Star an anomaly and an exception? In my view, it seems like a model to absolutely go other there and try to copy.

Why can't another organization simply follow a similar formula?

Because not every group has the richest man in Indiana to bankroll it. Star was an exception.

Regarding the Magic situation in 2002, that rule requiring all new or re-emerging (more than one season off) corps compete in a lower division is no more. Now there is a review committee that come to evaluate your corps. They look at all aspects, including finanaces, to determine if your corps is even ready to compete at all. After the evaluation your are informed if you are deemed capable, and which division you will compete in. It is possible to start-up and go right into World Class, but not probable...unless you have the richest man in your state bankrolling you.

How much is in your bank account, Dan? Wanna start a corps?

:satisfied:

Garry in Vegas

5 circuits 6 circuits

NE

South

Midwest

Southwest

Northwest

Canada

You can call it RDC North! :cool:

Ok, sounds good to me.

and, I'd like to add, NO RUNNING.

Fat kids need a place to march

• Like 3

Correct.

I also don't watch... Bad B movies simply because the actors really enjoy doing it or a game rematching the '80 line up of the Lakers and the Sixers, etc. I don't enjoy it and I am ok with not pretending that I do.

A specific example that is sort of similar to my view of alumni corps and SPCA or whatever they are...

In the late 90's I went and saw Cheap Trick play at some dive in Salt Lake City. I was pretty excited to be able to see them, especially in such an intimate venue... could hold 200 max, maybe. While the music was ok, I left the concert actually sort of feeling bad for the guys. I mean, here these guys who once had this incredible success... playing not nearly as well as they once had, doing a gig at a ###### dive in SLC, for a fraction of the money they used to, and playing the same stuff they have for decades.

Watching/hearing was enough to know I wouldn't go watch (see rematch of the 1980 Lakers/Sixers).

maybe for Cheap trick, just being able to play was all they wanted/needed. Without that kind of approach, the bigboys will...and have...died over the years.

Regarding the Magic situation in 2002, that rule requiring all new or re-emerging (more than one season off) corps compete in a lower division is no more. Now there is a review committee that come to evaluate your corps. They look at all aspects, including finanaces, to determine if your corps is even ready to compete at all. After the evaluation your are informed if you are deemed capable, and which division you will compete in. It is possible to start-up and go right into World Class, but not probable...unless you have the richest man in your state bankrolling you.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm out of date on a couple of points.

How is Star an anomaly and an exception? In my view, it seems like a model to absolutely go other there and try to copy.

Why can't another organization simply follow a similar formula?

Do you mean take a perfectly good corps and flush it down the toilet? Why in the world would anyone want to do that? Sure, they had their moments in the sun (so to speak) but so did the Roman Empire. To me they were a great example of what NOT to do.

• Like 1

You won't find many new corps or members looking to utilize an antique or vintage drum corps approach. If anything, they will want to be further out there than the WC corps are now. Kids now have no more interest in playing old timey drum corps then they have in using a Smith Corona to type up their homework assignments.

The past is past. If people want new, lower-cost, less-time commitment corps, they're going to have to accept the fact that people who would get excited about starting corps like that aren't going to be the old parish priest or scoutmaster types - they'll be men and women who already have experience with contemporary drum corps and WGI, and will be looking to go even further than they did before. My question is whether some of the roots movement supporters could stomach a new version of drum corps that's even less traditional than the version out there now.

So here's the thing. If people want to start a new marching circuit that isn't drum and bugle corps, then I wish them well. I might even go to see the shows. But that ISN'T Drum and Bugle Corps. It's something different. When I buy orchestra tickets, I don't want to hear a Jimmi Hendrix guitar solo. When I buy tickets to a musical, I don't want to see a ballet. When I buy DCI tickets, I don't want to see woodwinds or synths or standing still. I want to see percussion, brass, and movement. When you leave those three elements behind, you have fundamentally changed the art--it is no longer drum corps. If you want to change the activity, change the name. Why is this such a difficult concept?