Jersey Surf 2012

Not doubtful at all. I have first-hand knowledge of the situation, and the program is a HUGE draw for Surf in 2012. What a corps plays, especially for corps in the lower half of the rankings, is enormously important.

amen. In this region, the legacy of the Bridgemen is known and passed down from those who remember. And yes, show selection towards the bottom helps a lot.

amen. In this region, the legacy of the Bridgemen is known and passed down from those who remember. And yes, show selection towards the bottom helps a lot.

I think John is saying that the program is drawing kids, not so much the Bayonne connection.

The Bridgemen alumni corps appearances at DCI shows...and their high quality and fun show, would help too, I think, at least a little, in making the tie-in something interesting for potential members.

Again, doubtful. I understand that rep is important for those corps; if the show is cool, more people will choose X over Y. Doesn't change the perception of the Bridgemen as a bygone corps. Nor does it overpower other factors such as visibility, retention, location, etc. Show becomes the deciding factor when there are multiple lower-tier corps one could march with and must decide. Plain and simple, it may be presented as a draw by the staff who actually understands and cares about the Bridgemen.

I think you're getting the majority of people's perception of the Bridgemen wrong. I'm definitely not old enough to have ever seen the Bridgemen perform live as a junior corps and when I think of them, I think about how they brought innovation to drum corps and were one of the first to successfully try something new. Folding, disqualification, etc. come second if at all in my mind. In fact, I have friends with no connection to drum corps that know about the Bridgemen. That's how powerful their legacy is.

Edited by MetalTones2012
  • Like 5

I think John is saying that the program is drawing kids, not so much the Bayonne connection.

The Bridgemen alumni corps appearances at DCI shows...and their high quality and fun show, would help too, I think, at least a little, in making the tie-in something interesting for potential members.

I think it's a combination, and from folks I've talked to, it seems to be the same thought. The Legend of Bayonne...."what would Bayonne do if they were still around"...intrigues people, and those people are the ones old enough to remember Bayonne. So they spread the gospel to the kids who can still march there. The staffhelps......Surf has slowly been building a great group of folks that commit everyyear. And yes, the tunes help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have to admit from the beginning that I am one of the many who did not know I loved the Bridgemen until they were no more. From 1976-1980, I saw them as a nuisance. If 27th was in a show, I always wanted them to win, and if it couldn’t be 27th then I’d want Phantom or Madison to take top honors. On more than one occasion, the Bridgemen did their show and disrupted how I thought the order of things ought to be. Competitions were always exciting when the Bridgemen were involved because you never knew how the judges would react—they were always the wild card. You also never knew how the audience would react. Everyone had an opinion on the Bridgemen. As I look back at their glory days, they were not of that era, if anything they were a large part in defining that era. At times there could be too much going on, but eventually had a nearly effect blend of innovation and tradition. They were also good. Their drum line was often one of the best, their horn line was could fill a stadium with sound and their shows were a lot cleaner than they were given credit for back in the day.

I’m glad that Jersey Surf is doing a tribute to the Bridgemen this year, and I hope it goes well. From what I hear, Jersey Surf is a great organization and it seems to allow the drum corps experience to young people who otherwise would not have it due to school and work commitments. They are also well suited for doing this show. Jersey Surf remembers the audience, and whether you loved or hated the Bridgemen, you can’t deny they loved to please the crowd. I’m also glad the Bridgemen are being remembered. I appreciate what drum corps is doing today, and I do not question the skill level of the young people, but I do feel that some of drum corps tradition has been lost. I know we can’t turn the clock back, but perhaps by remembering as one person called them “bygone corps” and paying tribute to corps such as Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Anaheim Kingsmen, and so many others that made drum corps what we have today, we can not only keep the memory alive but also build on tradition.

• Like 6

Again, doubtful.

Dude... John says he has first-hand knowledge of the situation.

You don't.

I'm going with John on this.