"International Division?"

In the past when an International corps placed in the top 12 of Open Class they took 13 corps in finals. If both Yokohama and Jubal place in the top 12 will they be taking 14 corps in finals?

DCA is an international group,Inspires completed and won a spot in finals when they visited here knocking out an Amercian corps .The same thing happened with Kids Grove Scouts .Who again will return to DCA next season.2012.

Good point, Chuck.

Inspires made DCA Finals in 2002 and 2004... Kidsgrove Scouts last year. And we are looking forward to seeing Kidsgrove again next season, on this side of the Pond. Hopefully some day we'll see the Inspires return, or see another another Japanese or European corps at DCA's championship.

But the DCA rules give voting membership to the top 10 scoring North American corps, based on their Prelims scores. So even though an "international" corps (outside North America) can make Finals, that corps does not get a membership vote. Instead, that corps is declared DCA's "International Champion."

• Like 1

It has been a few years since I was actively involved in any situation with "International" corps but my basic understanding in DCI is an International Corps is any corps that is NOT from North America. In terms of ages of members, I also am of the understanding that if the unit is a junior unit (regardless of what the maximum age of the members are, as different circuits in different countries allow for members of varying ages due to their social structure), and yes, Field size, timing also play factors, then as a "junior" group they are allowed to participate in DCI events. Canadian corps are not allowed to compete in International Division because when DCI formed there was at least one (maybe 2) Canadian corps involved and that is why it is called Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL (I believe Micheal Boo has some history of that, I saw it in a thread on here once, was that you that reported that Mike?????) so in DCI basically, as long as in your home country you are considered a junior corps, and you are not from North America, you can compete in International Division.

Edited by CanadianDirector

"International Corps" are something of a "DCI" problem in some way. As I said in a previous post:

" In DCA the "International" Corps - DO - compete with everyone else. Seems the "Inspires" from Japan and the "Kidsgrove Scouts" from England did VERY WELL. Both Corps maing "Finals" in the "Larger" Open Division Every time they came. No "Special" things (or Divisions) had to be done for them. They are "Judged" no different than Any Other DCA Corps. Making the DCA "WORLD Championships" (I would think) really MORE meaningful, than some different "Division" or as some "Exhibition" Corps thing. "

" I had an "E-mail" talk with some Dutch people as to why they do not also come to DCA. They said it had to do with when school was in session and things like that. As too Canada. DCA (like DCI and before that the "World Open" and all other Contests) has always had the Canadian Corps, in with all the US Corps. "

Yet, it seems to effect Both (DCI & DCA) in a way. Although the DCA "International Corps", are treated no different than any other Corps in DCA, and do Very Well. The time of year for finals seems to put limits who can come. Then if they go to DCI, they must be treated as more of an outsider in a way. They must, change their show and in some case's, who can march, or be in a seperate Division.. As to Canadian Corps. It was alway's my understanding that they wanted to be on an equal basis with the U S Corps. No special things at all, Jr or Sr Division. I know they can be Very Proud of their History in Drum Corps in North America. But, in a way. If now THEY would want to be in the a DCI, "International Division". Why should they not be. ( I know in almost All Pro sports (Baseball, Basketball,Hockey,Etc) they are "North American". Seems only Football where they have different rules and what not, they are not.

Very interesting topic. Where view's from all side's have good and bad points. Good to see everyone keeping on point and civil :thumbup: .

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

According to the Finals week schedule, which was sent in my weekly DCI e-mail, Jubal is scheduled to perform in exhibition on Friday evening before the Age Out ceremony. I have to assume that if they make the cut for the top 25 (or will it be 26 or 27, depending on them and Yokohama?) that means they will be performing twice on Friday. In another topic in the WC forum a few days ago, the same question basically came up as to why they are classified the way they are; one of the replies stated that they DEFINITELY have over age members marching and that is the reason. If that's the case, they should be informed up front, long before making their travel plans, that they cannot COMPETE in any DCI contests, although they most certainly will be welcome to perform in exhibition; if they wish to compete while they are visiting, they should contact DCA. Just MHO, of course.

FWIW, I saw the Inspires on both of their previous visits (would absolutely LOVE to have them again, BTW) and Kidsgrove last year...they both gave some of the higher ranked DCA corps here a run for their money and they were very warmly welcomed by both the corps and the crowds. There is no reason why they shouldn't be scored on the same sheets and using the same criteria as all the other competing corps.

If Jubal would make the top 25, which seems not the case according to their last scores, I don't think they would have any problem marching the show twice, especially because there would be probably more than 20 corps in between there first and second performance, in that case, which seems like enough time to recover for another show. I for one know for sure it wouldn't be a problem for them, because DCE helds their prelims and finals competition in one day, every year.

It has been a few years since I was actively involved in any situation with "International" corps but my basic understanding in DCI is an International Corps is any corps that is NOT from North America. In terms of ages of members, I also am of the understanding that if the unit is a junior unit (regardless of what the maximum age of the members are, as different circuits in different countries allow for members of varying ages due to their social structure), and yes, Field size, timing also play factors, then as a "junior" group they are allowed to participate in DCI events. Canadian corps are not allowed to compete in International Division because when DCI formed there was at least one (maybe 2) Canadian corps involved and that is why it is called Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL (I believe Micheal Boo has some history of that, I saw it in a thread on here once, was that you that reported that Mike?????) so in DCI basically, as long as in your home country you are considered a junior corps, and you are not from North America, you can compete in International Division.

With him on this.

I believe this is addressed in Brass Roots, the old DCI history video from the 1990s. "International" was meant to make the Canadian corps happy, nothing more. It is still nominally accurate, although with most people I miss the many inactive Canadian units of the past.

I honestly think this is pretty much a non-issue. There's never been any impetus to having large numbers of European or Japanese corps compete in North America, either before or after the formation of DCI, nor would such a goal be realistic even if DCI wanted to actively pursue some global mandate. When individual do units do come over, they seem to have a good time and entertain their audiences, and I don't think anyone either in DCI or these corps loses much sleep over how they fit into our competitive system.

Edited by crest99

I think the point being made here is DCA is more open to having corps from other country's complete .There treated the same as all america corps no special class or rules. Corps from Japan and England have proven they can hang with the best .Thats the point being made, im sure if more corps cross the pond to complete they would be treated the same in DCA .I also feel that DCI needs a name change ,they have proven thier really not an open door to outsiders .

One of the reasons the Scouts may have elected for the DCi tour is that comes at a better time of year than DCA Weekend. It is easier for the beyond 22 years old members to get off from work in early August than it is around Labor Day in the States.

Actually, both the Yokohama Scouts and Beatrix have members over 22. Jubal did as well this year, though back in 2006 I heard they cut the older members from their DCI tour so they could compete in Division II. In fact, I think North America is the only place where junior corps even exist (though I could be totally wrong about that).

EDIT: Taipei Yuehfu in Taiwan is a junior corps, even when they're not competing in DCI.

Unless an international corps complies with ALL of DCI's rules like Jubal did in 2006, they will be put in International Class. One option, assuming the scheduling is right as mentioned above, is for international corps with members over 22 to compete in DCA, like the Kidsgrove Scouts did last year.

Edited by MetalTones2012

Speaking of "Drum Corps National"

Why does Major League Baseball call it the "World Series?"

It's just limited to North America. And even then, the United States holds the majority.

Just a tangent, sorry.