The Most Influential Drum Corps Show In History

Based on current events, I would say it was the 1980 Bridgemen...

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You may drink from my cooler

• Like 1

the obvious choice to me is Star 93, and I'm sure some people will agree that it is at least ONE of the most influential shows to make it to the field.

Star '93 has never struck as being truly influential. I think its a legendary show, for good reason. But there are two types of legendary drum corps shows: Those that become typecasts for future shows and future corps, and those that are inimitable, one-of-a-kind productions. Star 93 is the latter, and I think BD 10 may be as well.

People talk a lot about about the body movement . . . but that was something that was seeping into drum corps well before 1993. People talk about the cerebral, intellectual, esoteric, or "artsy-fartsy" nature of the show. But unlike today's so-called "artsy" shows it was un-themed. There was no 10,000 word pseudo-intellectual explanation of what the show was trying to do or to (shudder) "say". Star simply took some music and presented alongside a thoughtfully designed visual program. That's what it was . . . thoughtful. Not intellectual. Vanguard is the only of today's corps that really does this, and they do it very well. The various themed and "story" shows in DCI and WGI in the 80s and 90s were more important to the "intellectual" aspect of drum corps than Star 93.

Star 93 was also a very patient, slow-developing show. You wait, and you wait, and you wait the entire show, and get one spectacular pay-off at the end. Which IMO is totally brilliant, but many find it frustrating. Thing is, almost no corps since then have followed this approach (Vanguard the last few years, that's about it). Instead they've gone the opposite way. Shows are much faster paced, with less development, and have lots of impact points. The arranging style pioneered by BD in the mid-90s and the break-neck visual programs of Cadets and Cavies are what's really influential here.

Um . . . didn't mean to write that much. So, in summary:

Bridgemen '77(-'83)= Legendary, Influential

Star '93: Legendary, Unique

....Wow....a lot of history right there that I never knew about!

Yeah, that was cool. Learn something every day.

Hi Brasso...

I wanted to give you a thumbs up... But i have used my daily allowance already... :rock: