Auditioning on tuba for Crossmen

Great advice here. Today's DCI shows are so hard...demanding in a way old school only had nightmares about...

So it's not 'in shapeness', or horn playing ability that gets one through...it's attitude. The willingness to believe in the staff when they tell you that something you think...in the bottom of your heart...is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE, is, by season's end, not only possible, but something at which you will excel.

If you can do that - you will not only win a spot in a good drum corps, but you will be just what they're looking for.

• Like 1

Make sure u are in pretty good shape. The staff wants someone who can Play hard the entire show. If u need to drop a few pounds then now is the time to work on it! My son would work out several times a week and run/jog.

So I've been super interested in doing DCI, and was planning on auditioning last year, but got sick with mononucleosis and so didn't try out.

I just had a few questions on things like: What the odds are of me making and succeeding in the corps this upcoming season? What are the auditions like? What's the process? Do they to a marching test? Is the music very difficult? What's the music like?

I'd appreciate answers to these questions, I don't know too many people that have marched DCI, so I don't have a whole lot of sources of information regarding these things, figured this would be the place to ask.

If any of this means anything, I consider myself a fairly good player. I've played tuba only since 8th grade, but last year as a sophomore I beat two seniors for first chair in my high schools band, and as far as physical condition goes, I think I'm in decent shape, I can do 17 pull ups and can still run a 6 and a half minute mile.

DO IT !!!

So I've been super interested in doing DCI, and was planning on auditioning last year, but got sick with mononucleosis and so didn't try out.

I just had a few questions on things like: What the odds are of me making and succeeding in the corps this upcoming season? What are the auditions like? What's the process? Do they to a marching test? Is the music very difficult? What's the music like?

I'd appreciate answers to these questions, I don't know too many people that have marched DCI, so I don't have a whole lot of sources of information regarding these things, figured this would be the place to ask.

If any of this means anything, I consider myself a fairly good player. I've played tuba only since 8th grade, but last year as a sophomore I beat two seniors for first chair in my high schools band, and as far as physical condition goes, I think I'm in decent shape, I can do 17 pull ups and can still run a 6 and a half minute mile.

DO IT !!!

DO IT!

I was actually wondering, is the audition music on an All State level? Am I expected to be an All state level player to be considered for selection?

My kid became an all-state tubist because of drum corps. He first picked up the instrument five months before his first corps audition. Sounds like you're way ahead of his level when he first marched, and his corps was about the same level as the Crossmen.

DO IT! :thumbup:

Physically you'll be fine. You'll get the audition packet when you register. When I auditioned we chose a technical and lyrical etude and played a few lines and some stuff from the packet. They're not necessarily looking for the eat player or best marcher. Be confident, have a great attitude, and be a great student. They can teach playing and marching. They can't teach the right attitude

Easy to say when your horn weighs two ounces. . .

OP: definitely spend some time holding the horn. You'll really set yourself apart from the other auditioners if you can look like a ###### all weekend holding the horn without breaking. Perhaps silly, but definitely true.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Easy to say when your horn weighs two ounces. . .

OP: definitely spend some time holding the horn. You'll really set yourself apart from the other auditioners if you can look like a ###### all weekend holding the horn without breaking. Perhaps silly, but definitely true.

I've messed around with some contras at my states all state and band master conventions, although nothing really substantial, most schools around here play on sousaphones, including my school :/

Do they supply contras at the camps? The packet said to bring a horn, do they mean marching or concert?

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, it means a lot!

Edited by Lunchbox