The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

I stand by what I said. It's not because I see the Cavaliers having this big drop off because of Gaines leaving, but because of one simple fact of DCI. Corps do better and do worse year in and year out. And when one corps moves up the rankings, another one has to move down. No judge would underscore someone just so that a medalist from the year before stays in that spot. If there are three corps that do better in the next season than the Cavaliers, then that will put them in the 6th position. It's just how the math works. I'm not expecting them to tank, I just feel that other corps have more potential to do better next year and increase their rankings.

1) Crown

2) BD

3) Cavies

4) Cadets

5) Bluecoats

6) Phantom

7) SCV

8) Madison

9) Boston

10) BK

11) Spirit

12) BS

Here's to a great 2012 season!!

This to me is the most realistic so far except I would have the Coats higher. And I hate to say it but agree that this is where the Stars will end up.

• Like 1

Big observation from this thread:

Not much love for Troop-a-loop. I don't understand why. They return a ton of vets. They have gotten past that old show stigma and have been giving us programming much more similar to the rest of DCI. They have a good design team and staff this year. The show is cool and is artsy but in touch with current culture. They have quite a bit of momentum from last year.

Combine all that with the things going on in the organization like Indy 500 honors, extended move ins, full camps in Texas, etc... I see no reason why they can't put up a fight for the 12 spot.

I agree. I thought their brass should have gotten a lot more credit. They were playing some exposed stuff last year.

• Like 4

This to me is the most realistic so far except I would have the Coats higher. And I hate to say it but agree that this is where the Stars will end up.

Thanks!!

Yeah now looking back I feel like cadets show being sort of a bust (according to rumors) will get beaten by bloo. They might drop even further..who knows.

• Like 2

I agree. I thought their brass should have gotten a lot more credit. They were playing some exposed stuff last year.

I think they enjoy being the underdog. It was always a great thing to hype on. GO Troop 1012!!

• Like 1

It's a drum corps truth universally acknowledged that for a new corps to medal, one or more of the Cadevaliers has to slip. The Cadets' show sounds weak - I keep hoping that the Christmas music will turn out to just be some gimmick and they are really playing something awesome instead. The Cavaliers will be coming to grips with a major staff change. The Blue Devils will be coming to grips with new sheets that reward different things.

I conclude it's a good year for somebody to make a move up. Crown and Vanguard seem like the most plausible candidates. They both have some great new staff, but can the new staff gel in a single year?

Also, I continue to predict that the 8th place TOC slot is cursed. It just means you have to do lots more stuff while the 9th place corps (who is probably like 0.2 behind you) is practicing. So this year, Boston drops a place and Madison moves into TOC?

• Like 1

So this year, Boston drops a place and Madison moves into TOC?

Sure..anything's possible to consider when its April. But I wouldn't bet the farm if I was you that Boston is going to drop this year. But who knows. We'll see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Sure..anything's possible to consider when its April. But I wouldn't bet the farm if I was you that Boston is going to drop this year. But who knows. We'll see.

Not very many people guessed that the Blue Stars were going to drop 3 places last year, but they did. Just goes to show how many good corps there are now, and how competitive things have become.

IMO Boston in 5th or higher.

• Like 2

Not very many people guessed that the Blue Stars were going to drop 3 places last year, but they did. Just goes to show how many good corps there are now, and how competitive things have become.

Absolutely. After Phantom Regiment won their DCI Title in 2008, nobody in April of 2009 was predicting that they'd finish in 9th that year. ( to their credit, they then have made the march back from there in 2010, 2011 )

I also agree with you that if any Corps is standing still in terms of marching talent, staff talent, its probably about to lose placement soon enough.

Edited by BRASSO