The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

Yeah, he's pretty young...but at least he doesn't go to the corps office on his skateboard anymore. :tongue:

Upgraded to bike with training wheels??? :thumbup::tongue::tongue::tongue: just kidding....

• Like 1

Oh, I LOVE DCP!!!! I don't know how accurate my predictions will be, but FWIW I will play along!

1. Phantom

2. Cadets

3. BD

4. Cavies

5. SCV

6. Boston

7. Bluecoats

8. Scouts

9. Blue Stars

10. BK

11. Spirit

12. Colts

• Like 1

Oh, I LOVE DCP!!!! I don't know how accurate my predictions will be, but FWIW I will play along!

1. Phantom

2. Cadets

3. BD

4. Cavies

5. SCV

6. Boston

7. Bluecoats

8. Scouts

9. Blue Stars

10. BK

11. Spirit

12. Colts

OMG.... did Crown fold. Say it isn't so. All in good fun here.

• Like 2

I predict that the trend of experienced corps kids going to the G7 corps will continue, that the trend of the Top 3 perpetual medalists will continue and that the top ten corps will not change next season.

I think the 11-17 corps will shuffle a bit, the best chance for flip floppling will be if a higher corps design fails next season and a lower corps steps up. Possible fresh face in the Top 12 at the lower end.

I predict at least two negative votes for this post mearly because I mentioned the G7.

• Like 2

Glassmen In finals

Glassmen drop further... Academy comes out swinging.

• Like 2

I'm putting Academy in Finals, but I'm not sure who to take out. Blue Stars maybe.

Cavies or Crown win next year. Devils 3rd Cadets 4th.

• Like 2

After really being involved in watching the seasons progress since I marched in '09, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I would like to take it beyond the top 12 however - I'll go ahead and throw in the top 18 (which would be the first corps out of semis)

1 - The Cavaliers - I think year three with Adolph DeGrauwe is going to be a good year for them. They've done a lot of work with the internal structure of the organization, and I think that will play to their advantage in 2012.

2 - Carolina Crown - Crown is one of my questionables. Since '09, they've been able to reach the top 4 for three consecutive years. A lot of kids are going to start aging out, so either the new ones coming in will be to look back at "Grass is Always Greener" and "Rach Star" (not so much "Second Chance) and want to

move the corps forward, or the momentum will be lost and they'll slip back down to 4th or 5th.

3 - The Cadets - The Cadets will definitely come out of the gate swinging next year, but I think they may fall into the trap that the Cavaliers fell into this year - running out of steam before the end of the season.

4 - The Blue Devils - The Blue Devils have always been known for their talented members (as much as I hate them, they are extremely talented.) I think that this year's programming choice may run a little unpopular with the incoming prospective members (hello, Burt Bacharach...), and that combined with coming in second after making their way to the top this season and coming in second at the end could possibly hurt the number of new members they attract.

5 - Phantom Regiment - Phantom's program this year was one of the most beautifully designed, but it just seems to have gotten a smidge dirtier since they performed the west coast tour. I think once they're back in the Midwest for most of the summer, they'll have a strong showing right to the end. If Crown were to slip (see above), I could even see Phantom climbing back up as far as 3rd in 2012 - especially with that color guard.

6 - Santa Clara Vanguard - Jeff Fiedler is will on his way to doing great things for SCV. When "Ballet for Martha" came out in 5th in '09, I really expected

some big things from them in 2010...but they went with an abstract, distant thought that didn't really work. I think with this year's program being a little more psychologically accessible, they still need one more season before they really start to get back in the top 4 or 5.

7 - Bluecoats - Coming off of "Metropolis" in 2010, "Brave New World" was definitely brave, but there were several issues in the design of the program, and it led to some drastic changes mid-season (hello, Ballad rewrite). Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend with Bloo, as the same thing happened in '07 (but to greater achievement). I think Bloo may come out of the gate strong next year, but it will likely lose some of its prospective membership falling to 7th this year.

8 - Blue Knights - I was really surprised by the Blue Knights in 2011. They're show really started to come to life towards the end of the season. I think they'll be able to maintain a stronghold in 2012.

9 - Boston Crusaders - BAC really didn't excite this year - they decided to go with a more traditional approach (which, don't get me wrong, definitely has its merits). I've noticed that today's kids (marching kids, that is) really grasp abstract stories that they can really identify with. While the music of "Les Miserables" is gorgeous, and the design of "Revolution" was fine, I don't think it's really going to attract the membership Boston needs to really push forward next season.

10 - Madison Scouts - Madison also fell into the same trap as the Cavaliers this year. Aside from being plagued with holes all season (right to the end), they pulled out almost all of the stops right out of the gate, and it ultimately led to a lack of improvement in the program. I still think they'll remain a finalist, simply because the staff they have knows how to teach - I'm just sure how strong of a contender they'll be.

11 - Spirit of Atlanta - Spirit is finally out of the trap. After being out of finals for so long, they really didn't have a great base for membership to come from. I think that now they've presented a great program that's gotten them back in, they'll be able to finally achieve the membership to keep them in for the next little while.

12/13 - The Academy/Crossmen - With a little help to their visual program, the Academy could definitely pop into finals in 2012. They always play extremely well, (even better than some higher placing corps) and it's almost their time. The Crossmen, however, also presented a powerhouse run with "Renewal", and I think it could be the renewal they needed to get back to the upper echelons of the activity.

14/15 - Troopers/Blue Stars - as much as I love the troop, they've also fallen into the trap of being plagued with design issues out of the gate. They usually wind up having some rewrites by mid-season, and by then it's too late for them to pop the score they need. The Blue Stars will suffer next year, as they're program hasn't been to the caliber of "Houdini", "The Factory", or even "The Tour" in '08. I think they'll be hurting for new members next year, and it may take them a bit to get back into finals.

16/17/18 - Glassmen/Teal Sound/Colts - The Glassmen play pretty well, but the design choices for their programs over the last few years have just been a little dull...not since '02 (really) has they had a finals level program. My underdog group, Teal Sound - they really do play well, and with the right atmosphere of design and execution, they could start to pull ahead in World Class. The Colts have slowly been declining, and I think that their "Swan Lake" program this year will ultimately hurt them.

Ok...so there's my realistic opinion...now, for what I'd like to see:

1 - Phantom Regiment

2 - Carolina Crown

3 - The Cavaliers

4 - Bluecoats

5 - The Cadets

6 - Blue Devils

7 - Santa Clara Vanguard

8 - Blue Knights

9 - Boston Crusaders

10 - Spirit of Atlanta

11 - Crossmen

12 - The Academy

• Like 2

I like that prediction! I'm also thinking Bstars may struggle. When you have top 6 talent and your design doesn't live up it can and likely will cause dissension. I'm not sure they'll drop from finals but they had big ageouts numbers.... I say they hang onto 11 or 12 but who knows maybe not. With the talent rising in Troop, Academy, Crossmen and Colts it's not a good time to see your placement move backward!

Wes P

• Like 2

14/15 - Troopers/Blue Stars - as much as I love the troop, they've also fallen into the trap of being plagued with design issues out of the gate. They usually wind up having some rewrites by mid-season, and by then it's too late for them to pop the score they need.

Hm. I'd have to go back and look at the VoD's, but I'm pretty sure there were no significant rewrites to the show mid-season this year, last year (maybe - this is the one I'm not as sure about), or 2009. There are always tweaks to try to take advantage of positives and/or reduce negatives, but that's not limited to Troop at all.

My Troop prediction: David Reeves will again bring beautiful writing to the plate, visual strength will still be a huge part of the focus, the show will be significantly different in style but still try to play on the Trooper aura, performance ability will continue to grow and mature, and the administration will continue to run a tight financial ship in order to support the long-term growth of the new Trooper era. I also believe the hornline will be bigger, the drumline will play tighter, and the guard will have more meat in their book to match the next level of achievement.

(edited to add: I believe in making predictions based on more than whims and preferences. So that's why I'm not making predictions about other corps, but feel pretty confident in what I think will happen out of Casper this year. :whistle: )

Edited by TerriTroop