Finals and...

I attended Atlanta, prelims, semis, and finals.

Lucas Oil - much better acoustics compared to Georgia Dome. Thank you DCI for the black back drop and covering seats - nice visual aid, and probably cut down on sound bouncing around.

Like it or not, indoor major events are here to stay. The poor sound in the Georgia dome vs. the heat that day = I was happy to escape the heat, the lesser of the two evils, and we avoided the Indy thunderstorm...it would have wrecked finals.

Academy - I loved this drumline. Unique in both playing and writing. Very, very cool.

Troopers - very feminine this year. I like it when a corps has an identity. Troopers = cowboys, dirt, sunsets, lonely, he-man, heroic, John Wayne. So, I didn't like the shiny yellow material, and feminine feeling of most of the show/music - or at least I didn't like it for the Troopers. "The Road Home" idea did fit the identity, just to girly-girl in the application. Interestingly, the real real he-man moment, Infinity Chord hit the audience like a ton of bricks. It's like the audience suddenly woke up and said to itself, "now that's more like it!"

Glassmen - something was goofed up with this production. I can't quite put my finger on it. I got a "confusion of ideas and direction" underneath the surface. Hard to explain -On the surface, everything seemed to be ok, and things generally made sense. But, I kept getting a conflicted feeling about the direction the show was trying to go start-to-finish, underneath what was apparent on surface. I'm wondering that if in the planning stages the staff agreed on the surface, but disagreed on a personal level, and didn't voice it, or hash it out. Something like that was going on here.

Spirit of Atlanta - loved the guard uniforms. Crowd-pleasing show. I wanted the flags at the end to say DOA, instead of NOIR. Why is that? And, the lead detective character..... I couldn't ever imagine Humphrey Bogart jumping and leaping around like that - just the opposite in fact.

Blue Stars - oh man. This is where I got irritated and left my $125 Finals 6th row, 39yrd line seat, for a 10yrd line seat. Gee whiz Blue Stars and DCI. That Bose tower speaker placement had everybody in my section cringing. It was so dang loud and distorted - yes, it was distorting. Like a bad Jensen car-door speaker from 1978. Whoo. my poor ears. I understand the need to project the front ensemble sound throughout venues like Lucas Oil. Move the speakers back - put them in line with the front of the pit. I realize this may cause feedback problems. Figure it out. It's not right to wreck my beloved Finals experience and $$ spent with that apparent lack of concern or planning/problem solving regarding sound support for the front ensemble.

The brass and and drumline sounded great, and powerful, when I could actually hear them. Other thoughts..... what if the small city-scape panels up front had been a giant backdrop? For the pre-show the corps proper could have "constructed" the giant prop(s), replete with construction sound effects? I know, I know. Hindsight is 20-20.

Madison Scouts - Empire State of Mind. Best moment in DCI this year, bar none.

Blue Knights - what about that pit? Geez, they were fun to watch. So naturally animated, so clearly enjoying themselves. I kept wishing the corps had been outfitted in something other than the standard uniform. Something more British, or European circa the era from which they drew the music? Excellent percussion feature. Tangerine colored drums threw me - way too tropical, considering the show theme and music.

Boston Crusaders - I didn't think I'd like this show when I saw the music selections posted. (1812- why would you want to do that, after Phantom 83?) Wrong. I think the audience generally agreed with me. Great job on the arrangements. Also - I really liked the visual ideas. The giant bed-sheet. I enjoyed it more and more progressively from Georgia to Finals. They really took a risk. When I first saw it in Georgia I thought is looked kind of sloppy, but later began to enjoy the organic development (lights, shadows, being propped-up by various means at different stages of the production's evolution) The accompanying music, really set the the mood. And the percussion feature - placing the brass and guard on one end zone and drumline on the opposite end zone, and then moving the groups, slowly together until the drumline got "swallowed"....genius! Whomever thought up the giant bed-sheet idea and the percussion feature visual...Boston, keep them around. Added bonus... did you know you were quoting "Land of a Thousand Dances"....a couple of times, oh yes you were, you just didn't know it.

Bluecoats - I liked this show more and more each time I witnessed it. Incredible display of chops and power. Just laid it out. My goodness.

SCV - I read the reviews all season long. You know what? I really, really liked this show. Not fun-per say. Intellectual, stoic, difficult, unpleasant, refined, classy, determined. You know - I appreciate that they didn't go for a "crowd-pleasing" approach. I appreciated the diversity they brought to this year's DCI. Who wants to see the same approach corps after corps? Percussion -great. Drumline maybe could have had a little more difficulty? But, man it was tight and super clean. Geez I love the writing. Percussion ensemble the very best. How do they get so tight? Hornline stubbornly refused to "let it all hang out" - ever. At times their sound was as good as it gets, other times tepid and thin. I do respect the approach and discipline involved. They dared to be different, and that is very good for DCI

Phantom Regiment - Third favorite show. Identity factor, thank you! Second best brass sound. When the percussion section changed hands at the beginning of the season, I wondered what would happen. Whoever took over this year should be proud. Big, big shoes to fill. The percussion section threw down - they really did. Best emotion of all drumlines - really communicated. To improve? I found the snare drum timbre/tuning unpleasant. Harsh, unpleasantly bright and raspy (lack of clean playing didn't help matters, ughh) - an unwelcome contrast to the brass warmth and fulness.

Audience loved this show.

Carolina Crown - My favorite show this year. When I saw that they would be doing a rock show, I was all poo poo. No way Jose! They took every ridiculous rock cliche and "tongue-in-cheek" turned it into a great production. I guess I'm a rock music snob. I would have never thought it would have worked. Jimi Hendrix.... on a football field? What? Best brass sound, yep! Percussion, guard close behind. What about that piano player? What a showman. What a great personality. That guy deserves a great big hug from everybody in attendance. Smashing the guitar - outrageous! Pure rock and roll spirit. Keith Richards might have even liked it. Mick Jagger? He would have loved it. Jimi, Freddy, Ronnie all smiling down from heaven. Best show in DCI this year, audience seemed to agree. 1st place in my book.

Cavaliers - Second favorite show this year. Can you say hallucinogenic? The Cavaliers can't say it and neither can the program guide, but I can. Ha. I think my favorite thing about a drum corps contest is when a corps takes me to "another place". I forget I'm in a stadium with other people for a couple of minutes - transported and transcending "reality" for the time being. I was cloaked in aliens, rainforests, out of body, danger, shamanism, outrageous, not drum corps, not Indianapolis. Just somewhere else - wow. What a great production! If only the members had had a little more poise and confidence. Maybe they'll do a Grateful Dead show next year? or a show about snakes? Probably not.

Blue Devils - Bold, confident and powerful. Second best brass, and maybe best percussion? Awesome display of chops and technique. Beasts! But the show?.........ahh. In their defense, I most definitely don't have Bert Bacharach on my iPod, but I do have Wayne Shorter (Cavies). So, maybe others feel differently? When I first heard/saw this show in Georgia, I was pleasantly surprised by the flowing melodies, but by the time I heard it for the fourth time in Indy, I was tired of it. Also - the visual production....humm......yeah, not doing it for me. Guard uniforms and flags? I kept thinking of....what is that candy from my childhood? Oh yeah, Good and Plenty...the pink and white candies. Maybe that didn't help my perception (I always hated those licorice candy) - much preferred Sweet Tarts, Mike and Ike. Contrastingly, the precision of the guard and the individual marching technique of brass and drumline - absolutely perfect - perfection.

Cadets - wanted perfection, didn't get it. Kind of liked the show idea. Kind of liked the music. Heard some errors in the brass and I didn't think their tone was as good as BD, Cav, Carolina, Phantom, BlueCoats. But I think the judges heard it differently. When the did the last "running around" butt-busting drill moves right before the last move and chord, the sound dropped significantly. I know I'm asking for a lot, but at times in the past they've delivered in those moments (a least a little more, please), and they've conditioned me (over the years, going back to 83, 84, 85, 87, 2000) to expect that from them. Also - geez, the marching technique wasn't as good as I've come to expect. Foot-phasing a number of times, really drove me nuts. Regardless, there were plenty of fabulous moments in this show. So it wont go down in the top ten of all time, still kick-mule.

General effect and audience perception versus judges placement. Blue Devils in 2nd visual general effect? Really? Sure the guard and marching technique - outstanding, fabulous, above reproach. But is that general effect? Aren't there separate captions for those attributes? I had a "novice" drum corps attendee with me tonight. At one point I made an attempt to explain the judging captions. "What is general effect", my cohort asked. My nutshell definition was, "the effect the corps generally has on the audience". "How does the production, visual, music, theme impact the audience - how much do they/did the audience enjoy the overall thing"..was my answer. My perception was that the audience enjoyed "Empire State of Mind" the best. Phantom, Carolina Crown, and Cavaliers all enjoyed tremendous responses at the end of their shows. Cadets had a strong reaction. Blue Devils - decidedly ho-hum. I don't think the disparity between the judge's placement and the audience reaction is a good thing for DCI. Is the audience at major DCI events in need of being educated about what is good and not-as-good, in terms of how an overall show impacts them? I don't think so.

Here's an idea. Maybe General Effect judges should pay equal amounts of attention to both the corps and the audience's reaction to the corps. Are we trying to invest in the activity and promote its growth? Yes! Then that particular "disagreement" needs addressed.

Thunderous low bass synth support - I disagree with those that think this is a good thing. Yes, some audience members probably get something out of it. Not me. I enjoy hearing and feeling a brass ensemble do its thing. I don't think an artificial boost in the low end demonstrates anything human. It doesn't require talent, blood, sweat, tears or heart and soul. I'm not against amplification, string instrument, etc. I am against anything in DCI that lacks the integrity inherent to the activity. If I want to have that kind of aural experience, I can easily find that elsewhere.

Lucas Oil Stadium concessions - wow. How do these guys get away with this? I don't fault the workers (probably parents from some local athletic or band organization trying to raise money for their kids). But the people that manage this stuff? The CEO of food service? The board that manages this element of Lucas Oil stadium? You couldn't even begin to have less imagination in regards to what you serve, and $8.00 for a little pizza? Why do you think this is ok?

On a final positive note. I love DCI and drum corps, even with my little issues. Can't wait for next year!

• Like 5

I had a "novice" drum corps attendee with me tonight. At one point I made an attempt to explain the judging captions. "What is general effect", my cohort asked. My nutshell definition was, "the effect the corps generally has on the audience". "How does the production, visual, music, theme impact the audience - how much do they/did the audience enjoy the overall thing"..was my answer.

No, no, no. GE has virtually nothing--and perhaps totally nothing--to do with the impact a show has on the audience and the crowd's response or lack of response. The Madison Scout's relatively low GE scores clearly illustrate this. GE is mostly about design integration, how well the elements of the show work together. Here's the explanation of GE from the drumcorpswiki:

General Effect Music & General Effect Visual

The most global area of evaluation is known as effect. Music and visual presentations should create an effect unto themselves, triggering aesthetic responses to the intellectual and emotional design and performance. In essence, this is how we determine what is entertaining about a particular program. Effect captions are the most subjective to judge and yet there are established principles of design and performance practices which can determine what is effective.

Effect judges are looking at the actual design of the show, the peaks and valleys of excitement throughout, and how the performers make the show successful. Questions a judge might consider in judging effect are: Do all of the elements of visual and musical design reach an effective climax together? Are there a variety of effects in the show that display a wide array of human emotions? Does the pacing of the show vary, remain steady, or have lapses?

It is important to realize that it is not just the designers who control the effect but also the performers who bring the effects to life. The performers may be truly amazing musicians and superb marchers, yet they may have limited show material to work with. Eventually the effect wears thin. To be a good effect judge, one must have a depth of understanding of how shows are put together and how performers can not only interpret the design but also actually elevate its success.

No, no, no. GE has virtually nothing--and perhaps totally nothing--to do with the impact a show has on the audience and the crowd's response or lack of response. The Madison Scout's relatively low GE scores clearly illustrate this. GE is mostly about design integration, how well the elements of the show work together. Here's the explanation of GE from the drumcorpswiki:

The most global area of evaluation is known as effect. Music and visual presentations should create an effect unto themselves, triggering aesthetic responses to the intellectual and emotional design and performance. In essence, this is how we determine what is entertaining about a particular program. Effect captions are the most subjective to judge and yet there are established principles of design and performance practices which can determine what is effective.

Effect judges are looking at the actual design of the show, the peaks and valleys of excitement throughout, and how the performers make the show successful. Questions a judge might consider in judging effect are: Do all of the elements of visual and musical design reach an effective climax together? Are there a variety of effects in the show that display a wide array of human emotions? Does the pacing of the show vary, remain steady, or have lapses?

It is important to realize that it is not just the designers who control the effect but also the performers who bring the effects to life. The performers may be truly amazing musicians and superb marchers, yet they may have limited show material to work with. Eventually the effect wears thin. To be a good effect judge, one must have a depth of understanding of how shows are put together and how performers can not only interpret the design but also actually elevate its success.

I will be the first to state that since humans are judging humans it will always be subjective. Having said that, if GE has nothing to do with the impact on the audience, then how does one judge if all of the elements reach an effective climax together? The only way it happens is when the judges believe that they know better than the audience.

I dont have a solution, but I do know one thing. When the Madison of 2011 takes 10th in GE something is very, very wrong.

I think the OP's description of GE is exactly spot on, and I think your post emphasizes his description to his friends. The bolded parts above all relate to humans; they describe human emotions and reactions to the show's concept and execution. Music, itself, may have peaks and valleys and guards may move in a more "legato" or sharp, staccato way, but the result of tying all these elements together is its impact on the audience (and the judges). Presumably, the judges are there to vicariously reflect the success of pulling all the parts together to impact the audience.

It seems pretty clear to my reading of your post that the OP was spot on.

General effect and audience perception versus judges placement. Blue Devils in 2nd visual general effect? Really? Sure the guard and marching technique - outstanding, fabulous, above reproach. But is that general effect? Aren't there separate captions for those attributes? I had a "novice" drum corps attendee with me tonight. At one point I made an attempt to explain the judging captions. "What is general effect", my cohort asked. My nutshell definition was, "the effect the corps generally has on the audience". "How does the production, visual, music, theme impact the audience - how much do they/did the audience enjoy the overall thing"..was my answer. My perception was that the audience enjoyed "Empire State of Mind" the best. Phantom, Carolina Crown, and Cavaliers all enjoyed tremendous responses at the end of their shows. Cadets had a strong reaction. Blue Devils - decidedly ho-hum. I don't think the disparity between the judge's placement and the audience reaction is a good thing for DCI. Is the audience at major DCI events in need of being educated about what is good and not-as-good, in terms of how an overall show impacts them? I don't think so.

Here's an idea. Maybe General Effect judges should pay equal amounts of attention to both the corps and the audience's reaction to the corps. Are we trying to invest in the activity and promote its growth? Yes! Then that particular "disagreement" needs addressed.

This!! This!! A Thousand times this !!

General effect and audience perception versus judges placement. Blue Devils in 2nd visual general effect? Really? Sure the guard and marching technique -- outstanding, fabulous, above reproach. But is that general effect? Aren't there separate captions for those attributes? I had a "novice" drum corps attendee with me tonight. At one point I made an attempt to explain the judging captions. "What is general effect?" my cohort asked. My nutshell definition was, "the effect the corps generally has on the audience". "How does the production, visual, music, theme impact the audience -- how much do they/did the audience enjoy the overall thing", was my answer. My perception was that the audience enjoyed "Empire State of Mind" the best. Phantom, Carolina Crown, and Cavaliers all enjoyed tremendous responses at the end of their shows. Cadets had a strong reaction. Blue Devils -- decidedly ho-hum. I don't think the disparity between the judge's placement and the audience reaction is a good thing for DCI. Is the audience at major DCI events in need of being educated about what is good and not-as-good, in terms of how an overall show impacts them? I don't think so.

I agree that drum corps needs to value the audience's opinion more; but I also wouldn't want general effect to be something that could be determined simply by reading an applause meter. The judges are supposed to be experts, not just in technique but also in effect: better able to appreciate what the corps are communicating. I don't want corps to design their shows for the lowest common denominator, but to convince the audience to do a little work -- and then be grateful for the nudge. I am reminded of J.R.R. Tolkien defending his use of the obscure words argent and plenilune in poetry written for children: "As soon as you limit your vocabulary to what you suppose to be within their reach, you in fact simply cut off the gifted ones from the chance of extending it". That said, it's easy for the designers to go too far, as well.

Blue Stars -- oh, man. This is where I got irritated and left my $125 Finals 6th row, 39yrd line seat, for a 10yrd line seat. Gee whiz Blue Stars and DCI. That Bose tower speaker placement had everybody in my section cringing. It was so dang loud and distorted -- yes, it was distorting. Like a bad Jensen car-door speaker from 1978. Whoo, my poor ears. I understand the need to project the front ensemble sound throughout venues like Lucas Oil. Move the speakers back -- put them in line with the front of the pit. I realize this may cause feedback problems. Figure it out. It's not right to wreck my beloved Finals experience and $$ spent with that apparent lack of concern or planning/problem solving regarding sound support for the front ensemble.

I hope you write to BS or DCI or both with your concerns.

Blue Knights -- what about that pit? Geez, they were fun to watch. So naturally animated, so clearly enjoying themselves.

I noticed that too!

Boston Crusaders -- Added bonus ... did you know you were quoting "Land of a Thousand Dances" ... a couple of times, oh yes you were, you just didn't know it.

If we're thinking of the same passage -- what in LoaTD would be the first notes of the "na, na na na na" -- I believe this is not BC's arrangement but a passage straight from Les Mis. At least, the same passage can be heard in Cadets' Les Mis show from 1989.

• 9 months later...

That IS the basic definition of General Effect. The mechanical aspects of which you speak are the nuts and bolts of how and why these programs affect an audience... but the basic premise they all spell out is that which the original poster said... General Effect is measuring and qualifying the interaction of the audience and ensemble. As far as Madison's show... if you really break down that show, the only truly "toss the babies" moment was "Empire State Of Mind" at the end... it was an isolated moment... the best shows create moment after moment that build through each musical idea and throughout the entire show... Madison's show was all about the last moment, not the whole show.... so that's why, in my opinion, they didn't score as high, even with that HUGE moment... because that's all it was... one moment out of a 10 minute show.

• Like 1