Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

1. VIPs are often Directors, HoF members, etc. VIPs kind of 'earned' their freebies with likely a LONG history of service to the activity

2. the GA seats were likely in places DCI wouldn't sell tickets for anyway. If we're saying non-finalist corps members/staffers didn't "earn" a backsidline or endzone seat, I think we're REALLY splitting hairs

In fact, I think if anyone is going to be quick to jump on negativity in 22k paid admission to Finals, they are REALLY REALLY splitting hairs.

I have no problems with present day directors, HoFers, Gold Card directors (from the past) and members of other corps who did prelims and semifinals in both classes.

But do the math. No way does this add up to 8,000 free seats...not even if the Impact Jr.Hi school wannabees are included.

DCI front office has never been consistent in who got the freebies and gold badges. Midwestern contacts always did, friends of Tom Blair TV always did, but not all previous DCI staff or previous DCI corps staffs were extended gold badge passage. Many of us still fork over much to get the seats we have. The lobbyists, not so much.

N.E. -

Indeed! Stadium capacity, attendance breakdowns, and comp ticket usage remain some of drum corps' biggest mysteries!

(should also add, exaggerated attendance numbers for all kinds of special events are quite common)

Or even not-so-special events. I've been to MLB games with attendance numbers that are laughably exaggerated based off of a simple eye-balling.

For example, I was told that since every luxury box is owned/paid-for by corporations, stadium officials use the capacity number in the ticket count, even if the box is completely empty for that game.

Or even not-so-special events. I've been to MLB games with attendance numbers that are laughably exaggerated based off of a simple eye-balling.

For example, I was told that since every luxury box is owned/paid-for by corporations, stadium officials use the capacity number in the ticket count, even if the box is completely empty for that game.

I personally was directed to Drum Corps Planet based on the rationale that this was the place to be for "hundreds of thousands" of drum corps fans. :innocent:

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

To compare attendance figures of August 8 with ANY other contest in any other year is as bogus as to compare two corps' scores (not head-to-head)...... August 8th represents where we are NOW, in terms of interest, attendance, circumstances, and corps performance. I am very pleased with what that represents. Drum corps is moving in the right direction.

Edited to include "not head-to-head."

Edited by JoeDz

To compare attendance figures of August 8 with ANY other contest in any other year is as bogus as to compare two corps' scores (not head-to-head). August 8th represents where we are NOW, in terms of interest, attendance, circumstances, and corps performance. I am very pleased with what that represents. Drum corps is moving in the right direction.

Is this parody?

August 8 would represent where DCI was now (well, six days ago) regardless of what the attendance was (or any other metric). That's a tautology.

And if it's bogus to compare this year's Finals attendance to other years' Finals attendance, then I have to assume you would be equally pleased regardless of the attendance, no matter how low, because how could you judge whether it was a good number?