JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

I am definitely going to miss those wailing mellophone parts...

• Like 4

I don't really agree with this statement, and there is a very different sound from the Mello/Trumpets from Rabon/Shaw to Ryan.

Granted, we can't judge him too much because it was only his first year... however, the hornline was a 6th place hornline and the high brass was incredibly rough, moreso than we have probably seen since 98/99.

Agreed.

I'm with you. Phantom's brass was a little shaky, relative to what they usually are. Listen to the end of Spartacus and what the high brass can do while making it sound SO easy. The mellos and trumpets this year just sounded....strained, or something. And just a bit dirty in places. I like to blame the Jupiters, but who knows.

It was a good show for all of that, because the ballads tended to have dark sounds, which benefited a strong Euph section.

On the bright side, with Shaw gone (a Jupiter employee, I think), maybe Phantom can get rid of those pieces of junk at the end of the current contract?

If they are playing the XO Series Trumpets, they are not to blame UNLESS they pulled a 2003 (a nasty thin trumpet sound) and went with medium bore trumpets (Would be the Roger Ingram Model.. 1600I I believe). Quantum Series Trumpets, haven't played one but only heard bad things. IMO, Phantom is very "hit or miss" with their trumpet sections over the years.

So who comes in now? T Andre Feagin?

No - Tom Brace

• Like 1

I have met JD Shaw several times. Don't know him 'personally' -- but from 2002 to 2008, I sat in on LOTS of rehearsals, sectionals and sponsored alot of regiment members. I've volunteered off/on since 1993, and heard countless kids as well as PR Alum, volunteers as well as fellow staff say how much JD LOVES(ed) the activity -- he was a marching member with Regiment, and "it" (the activity) is in his blood !!! He is also a performer, and knows how much that masns to the young adults he teaches and instructs in a drum corps or a classroom. He & Paul Rennick did some masterful work together since teaming up in 2003. I think, and it's just MHO, that JD will take a hiatus, spend some quality time with family close to home, and within a year or so -- be back with a drum corps. Will it be "Phantom Regiment"? No. I think he wants to spread his wings as any instructor/arranger would and tackle new ares, new material, new talent with a digfferent and fresh perspective. His heart will always, I suspect, be with Phantom and their best wishes, but it's a gut feeling he may end up in a year or two say, in Santa Clara?

SCV's brass has been suffering the last few years, and like percussion, may need a total overhaul with new staff.

Why do "I" feel JD may want to head to SCV (if an offer was made) ? Here is MY, and MY rationale as a musician ONLY, but in comparison:

----- spent almost 10 years in one place, same mindset, same repitoire type and same philosophy with regiment

----- same upper management structure (which may limit one's creativity if they give/don't give final approval of a show theme, concept, music etc)

----- Staff turnover on a regular basis. This hurts how a group runs and functions. Staff have to 'gel' and understand eachother and have similiar mindsets to how to program a show. Can't happen if there are new people every year or two.

----- SCV is closer to NM than Rockford. Family is important, and with two little ones, a dad has to want to spend quality time with his family, not always across the country on the road.

----- SCV would possibly offer alot of 'perks' I would think to obtain a quality arranger like JD, who has worked well in the past with the other key caption head, Paul Rennick.

All of this considered, if "I" loved the activity as much as I know JD and others all across the country do, a short break might be in order to renew, refresh, regroup and re-evaluate what one wants to do in their professional and perfoming life. Then, once all the ducks are in a row, you'll see JD back in top form, writting yet another stellar brass book for a drum corps.

I do wish him all the best and covet all the times I got to see, hear and drink in all that professional advise, instruction and talent from him from the years I was around Regiment and thehorn kids I sponsored over the years. It's made me a better musician and teacher!

All best to you JD -- and enjoy the fruits of your labors w/Regiment! YOU'VE EARNED IT!

-TL

All these different predictions are meaningless without an inside knowledge of the dynamics and relationships behind the PEOPLE. Not the drum corps staff members. The real, honest to goodness human beings.

I suspect things wouldn't be so rose colored if such items were aired in public.

• Like 1

Oh, and i forgot to mention.............. I sensed this coming as soon as Regiment hired Ryan Raybee (??) as Caption Head. Then they posted a video w/Ryan talking about his personal perspective of brass performance & how he admired JD for what he 'has done' with Regiment and nothing he could do would/could detract from that and that "JD Shaw will always have an impact on the hornline". That to me said right there --- is this his last year (referring to JD)?

Didn't think much of it until I watched countless 2010 video of regiment and didn't see him on tour until like 2011, a week or so before finals. Just thoughts I forgot to include in the original post.