What 2011 corps melodies keep running through your head?

ESOM from Madison - over and over. Big surprise, huh? :thumbup: Nothing else really compares from 2011.

• Like 1

East of Eden, without a doubt. It's been on my IPod for years (since Michelle Kwan used it (Ice skating)), but since I saw PR in Atlanta on 7/30, I've listened to it almost non-stop. I literally listened to it non-stop for an entire flight from Atlanta to LA and back (over 8 hours). I'm obsessed. It's amazing music.

Someone mentioned Harlem Nocturne. . . . why is it that song keeps coming back again and again? (My HS played it in 1980!!!) What is it about that song that makes it a perennial favorite?

<Without suggesting that you are obligated to feel any differently, I would note that Disney's Beauty and the Beast is one of only two animated films ever nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, that it won for both Best Score and Best Song, and that two other songs from the film were also nominated. The Academy's choices in this matter were very much in line with the critical consensus, then and now. Plus it was a big hit with the public. >

And without going to far afield from the topic, I would go on to say the Beauty and the Beast (Menken) is SO good, it could hold an entire drum corps show all by itself. It's better music than Phantom (by FAR...which is, of course, my opinion...), and I LOVED 88/89 SCV.

The scene near the end of Beauty, where the Beast transforms back into a man...that would be some stunning music to put on the field.

OK - I know this belongs in the 'music corps should do thread'...sorry -

• Like 1

<Without suggesting that you are obligated to feel any differently, I would note that Disney's Beauty and the Beast is one of only two animated films ever nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, that it won for both Best Score and Best Song, and that two other songs from the film were also nominated. The Academy's choices in this matter were very much in line with the critical consensus, then and now. Plus it was a big hit with the public. >

And without going to far afield from the topic, I would go on to say the Beauty and the Beast (Menken) is SO good, it could hold an entire drum corps show all by itself. It's better music than Phantom (by FAR...which is, of course, my opinion...), and I LOVED 88/89 SCV.

The scene near the end of Beauty, where the Beast transforms back into a man...that would be some stunning music to put on the field.

OK - I know this belongs in the 'music corps should do thread'...sorry -

I think the prologue music of the animated movie would make a great pre-show for the pit to play then the corps is announced and the full hornline comes in with the "Little town" part of the first musical number that Belle sings after the prologue followed by the more fast paced stuff for an opener.

I haven't thought about this before... I swear :whistle:

• Like 1

I think the prologue music of the animated movie would make a great pre-show for the pit to play then the corps is announced and the full hornline comes in with the "Little town" part of the first musical number that Belle sings after the prologue followed by the more fast paced stuff for an opener.

I haven't thought about this before... I swear :whistle:

I was in the pit orchestra for a (high school) production of Beauty and the Beast.

Awesome music for sure.

Also, on Harlem Nocturne...I appreciate it's use, but as a saxophonist, it pains me to hear an all-brass ensemble encroaching on my territory! devil.gifcool.gif

• Like 1

SCV's ballad "The Eternal Knot". It was my favorite emotional moment of the whole season. That hook combined with the staging of the guard and marching member will haunt me for a long time.

"East of Eden" is a close second.

Edited by warsawstory
  • Like 2

What a cool topic, Boo!

I thought most of the corps had accessible programming this year. That said, my answer is BD- "Say a little Prayer". . .the baritone solo, trumpet solo. . .I've been whistling it daily.

Ironically, I was in Atlanta and thought Cadets should've won, then got back to my hotel room and was whistling those solos from BD's show and laughed to myself. In Indy, I was glad Cadets were in front, but was still whistling those phrases in my hotel room! Great stuff. . .

• Like 1

I saw so much Cadets this season that basically the whole show goes through my head. During finals week, I especially had their "angelic" company front to end in my end.