Highest scoring __ Place Shows of All Time?

Great find, HornTeacher.

• Like 1

Great find, HornTeacher.

Just as long as nobody expects the political "I approve of this message" message regarding the content therein. I submitted it only for information's sake. However, I fully trust Mr. Mitchell.

Edited by HornTeacher

Yes. DCI changed from a " Tic system " to a " Build up system " on or around the year 1978 or so.( someone else here might chime in with the exact year, as for the moment, I forget the precise year ). The early sentiment to change from a tic system to a build up system was present even before the formation of DCI. Don Angelica, an icon brass performer, arranger, judge, etc in the 1960's had pushed for a movement to change the tic system( negative tenths of points taken away for flaws in performance in evaluation scoring) to a reward based system ( rewarding good performance with addition of tenths of points in the evaluation scoring).Thanks for the question, by the way, as it shows a healthy curiosity of this great activity.

Awesome - thanks for this great information. Much appreciated!!

Edit: Thanks as well HornTeacher for sharing http://www.geocities.ws/marchingresearch/mitsym97.txt !

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 1

Interesting! Thanks!

It would also be interesting if DCI ran one of the TOC shows under the old tick system, just for grins and giggles. I wonder how the scores would pan out.

Interesting! Thanks!

It would also be interesting if DCI ran one of the TOC shows under the old tick system, just for grins and giggles. I wonder how the scores would pan out.

Is that a tick? or a dance move?

• Like 1

I mean, we could compare these average points scored and all--as it is fun--but the average points scored really can't be compared to any degree that has much value, imo.

So you're saying that "fun" is not in and of itself of value.

• Like 1

For us less versed in the scoring system (e.g., me!), was there a particular year that the scoring system changed? Or were changes incremental, such that there is no exact year one can identify as the "transition point"? Sorry for the silly question! I find the evolution of the scores quite interesting!

To illustrate the change concisely: the first place score jumped from 94.4 in 1983 to 98.0 in 1984 (having never previously reached 96). In the five years 1979-1983, the average first place score was 93.6. In the five years 1984-1988, the average first place score was 98.0.

So you're saying that "fun" is not in and of itself of value.

Fair point. I suppose in retrospect, I could have rephrased it with : " the historical average point spread comparison exercise seems meaningless " ( with my reasons why, ie completely different scoring systems were utilized for the scores given at different historical intervals ), and allowed people who like to engage in meaningless exercises as a fun way to pass the time or whatever, that personal choice to do so.

Edited by BRASSO

Is that a tick? or a dance move?

Only your Lyme, CT hairdresser knows for sure.

• Like 1