2011 Drum Corps Associates Alumni Spectacular

kevingamin

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome back to Sahlen's Stadium in Rochester, New York, for the 2011 Drum Corps Associates Alumni Spectacular! There have been a few drops of rain here and there, but, so far, the weather is cooperating. The Freelancers Alumni are on the field performing Salvation is Created, which means the national anthems will be next.

Here are the corps you will read about today:

Freelancers – Sacramento, CA

Optimists – Toronto, ON

Bridgemen – Bayonne, NJ

Reilly Raiders – Philadelphia, PA

Crusaders – Boston, MA

Mighty St. Joes – Batavia, NY

Preston Scout House – Cambridge, ON

Park City Pride – Bridgeport, CT

Skyliners – New York, NY

Caballeros – Hawthorne, NJ

Bugles Across America – Rochester, NY

John Donovan is our CapCom for today's events, Charlie Groh is on photo detail, and Danielle Potts will be joining me with commentary on today's performances. Enjoy!

Freelancers Alumni are now playing America the Beautiful. Similar arrangement to what the DCI massed horn lines used to play at retreat in the 90s.

Technically, they just played BEFORE getting announced. Steve Andermann just pointed out that he's never seen a corps so eager to play. :D

The Frelancers Alumni open up with their 1983 opening statement and opener. Corpsreps is having problems again and the rep list I have doesn't have the selections listed, so I can't tell you what the tunes are, but one of you will have me covered, I'm sure!

The corps is performing in a brass arc, fronted by a drum set. 28 members total.

Technically, they just played BEFORE getting announced. Steve Andermann just pointed out that he's never seen a corps so eager to play. :D

It's one thing to jump off a bus and "hit the ground running," it's quite another to do it off the plane.

Very powerful G bugle sound. Lots of energy in the performance, too, which the crowd reacts to.

Are they doing their entire 1983 show? Not that that's a bad thing as that was a pretty darn good show (and still is).

It's one thing to jump off a bus and "hit the ground running," it's quite another to do it off the plane.

I'll see if I can get Freelancers' trap set player to give you the appropriate rim shot.

Just as in '83, a lot of brass soloists showing their stuff.