Any thoughts on having an Alumni Association?

NYSkyliner

It would be a help if both DCA and DCI did it.

Some years ago I thought up "Old Style Drum Corps"

It had alumni corps in competition 3 times a year in 2 catagories.

Stand and blow concert formation.

Full off the line routine.

Don't know if it would fly but thought I would add it to the thread!

Also, when discussing this subject several "alumni" corps have now taken the "senior" moniker, since DCA is now called "all age"

Crusaders and Kevin's come to mind.

Having many friends in alumni corps I think a question sooner or later has to be asked, when revisiting nostolgic times in drum corps WHICH era should or is visited?...I know, as of now the 50s/60s/70s works for the moment but sooner or later alumni corps will have to visit the 80s 90s and the 00s as hard as that may seem....I know of many in alumni corps now who are getting tired of just certain eras and want to include more current eras like the early 90s or late 80s....that time will come thats for sure when a nostalgic move may be the Z pull and a wild rotating box and gone will be the company front from an enzone. We have to remember 1990 is 21 years ago...seems a long time ago to me.

As far as an association, its not a bad idea so that a schedual, corps announcements, etc etc can be visable to the public other than a corps show announcement BUT cant that be done within the DCA website? of if not an alumni web site all its own?...Just askin..............good luck

"old time" drum corps...well...the newer blood thats slowly filling up alumni want "newer old" drum corps....what they marched.

and thats something alumni corps will have to adapt to.

Honest question, if newer alumni corps came out performing shows from 20-25 years ago, would they be accepted with open arms? Or would they be shunned for not being "real" or "too modern"?

"old time" drum corps...well...the newer blood thats slowly filling up alumni want "newer old" drum corps....what they marched.

and thats something alumni corps will have to adapt to.

How about adapting to people who never marched corps? Yeah I know the "Blue Team" has some but if Alumni types want to survive they need to look to new blood in that direction. Gotta find a balance between the long term members and people who would say "Hey I wanna try this..<insert reason>".

Honest question, if newer alumni corps came out performing shows from 20-25 years ago, would they be accepted with open arms? Or would they be shunned for not being "real" or "too modern"?

very interesting question....could have its own thread I bet...lol...I would like to say they would be accepted BUT...I would think for the most part NO..........Its so funny though, if you talk to many from the 50s or 60s they say the 70s and 80s werent drum corps ( u see where this is going..lol ) I also remember the hords of people who still believe drum corps died back in 71...The big question with alumini is WHO decides which decade is " REAL DRUM CORPS" I would think sooner or later this will all change if it is to survive, BUT it only goes to show you with some people its nothing more than generational ( as much as many wont admit that)

very interesting question....could have its own thread I bet...lol...I would like to say they would be accepted BUT...I would think for the most part NO..........Its so funny though, if you talk to many from the 50s or 60s they say the 70s and 80s werent drum corps ( u see where this is going..lol ) I also remember the hords of people who still believe drum corps died back in 71...The big question with alumini is WHO decides which decade is " REAL DRUM CORPS" I would think sooner or later this will all change if it is to survive, BUT it only goes to show you with some people its nothing more than generational ( as much as many wont admit that)

LMAO as I heard "That ain't Drum Corps" in 1975....

How about this idea <diving for cover>. Each Alumni-type (yeah gonna keep saying type) corps does their own thing without worrying what others do or think. And if you don't like what what they do... well you just found your bathroom corps.... Personally I'd welcome any corps as that's keeping the activity alive. (I just might be in the bathroom during their show.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

you have actually touched on one of the more subtle reasons we dropped the word "alumni" from our corps name,...............I really consider alumni corps as being a sub group of a wide variety of types of non-competing corps, a much larger group of corps that are not the typical alumni corps

We have played stuff from back in the late 50's when the Thunderbirds were first formed, to playing a very modern version of Appalachian Spring,..............all in an effort to draw people that want to play, but not necessarily feel excluded simply because the are not a drum corps alum, let alone an ex-T-bird

Edited by Gary Matczak
  • Like 2

you have actually touched on one of the more subtle reasons we dropped the word "alumni" from our corps name,...............I really consider alumni corps as being a sub group of a wide variety of types of non-competing corps, a much larger group of corps that are not the typical alumni corps

We have played stuff from back in the late 50's when the Thunderbirds were first formed, to playing a very modern version of Appalachian Spring,..............all in an effort to draw people that want to play, but not necessarily feel excluded simply because the are not a drum corps alum, let alone an ex-T-bird

for our one gig a year, we usually do stuff from the 80s and 90s. very simple reasons.

1) we have the music

2) the most successful years in the corps were in those 2 decades

anyone new coming in, seems to be fine with it. loud jazz, some big band, some a little bit more progressive. Serenade crowd always liked it, and most of that crowd was in their late 40's when we played it the first time