PEPE NOTARO..23 Years Ago

As I Was Saying…. A ‘Pepe Story’”

I never met the man personally, but was always aware of his presence in the activity. On more than one occasion I'd listen in on his diatribes and walk away belly laughing. You know wherever he was— parking lot, Legion Post, or school gym— he always held “court.”

One such time was after a show in Bricktown, NJ in 1980. Pepe was with the Hurricanes at the time. I recall watching them at the show and something just didn’t seem right. Not to say that they were bad, but it seemed as if they were on the field forever. Afterwards, as I was making my way out of the field and towards my car, I saw the corps huddled around Pepe in something that looked more like a religious revival service than a post-contest pep talk. Because of the darkness and the anonymity of the exiting crowd, I decided to do some eavesdropping. This is what I heard:

“Youse guys can be good, but not today. But, if you believe and listen to me and do what I say, you’ll win DCA next year."

I appreciated his esprit d' corps and his motivational tactic, but didn't think much of its chances to be effective. I'd had heard that from other instructors for years. It usually was the last thing you wanted to hear after a long day of rehearsals and a not so great performance at a show. I walked away shaking my head, a stupid, “knowing” grin on my face.

September 6, 1981. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. DCA Championships.

“And in first place, with a score of 89.65, the Connecticut Hurricanes

Tim Campbell

Edited by Fossil50
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Pepe is busy tonight welcoming Bucky and making him laugh...

• Like 1