Bugles:

Kanstul Powerbore Soprano

Darryl Jones

Edited by kalijah

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, ,how does it play and how much does it cost  ... im looking to get a new horn , as soon as i get gthe $$

Hey,

It plays like a dream.  I've always been a Holton fan, and originally intended to buy an H105...the "Flagship" model with interchangeable leadpipes, etc.  As horrible as this sounds, money wasn't really an issue for me....I took out a huge student loan to finance the purchase of just about any horn I wanted.  I tried nearly every stock horn on the market, and even a few customs....Atkins, Paxman, Kruspe, EVERYTHING......buying my horn was a 2 year process.  The people at woodwind and brasswind got REALLLLLY  sick of me coming in, trying every instrument on the shelf.  

The millenium Merker is by far THE BEST horn I've ever played, OR even looked at.  The little extras make it great.  Water Key on the 3rd valve of the Bb side (where Holtons ALWAYS collect water)...the heavy valve caps keep the weight firmly in the left hand for standing solo work.  The bronze bell (while admittedly heavy) adds such a beautiful, sonorous sound.....can you tell I'm in love?  

I actually purchased the last of the limited edition Millenium models from Ethel herself....and got quite a great deal.  She tried it out and picked it herself.  It's a dream.  

You can probably get one used for sub-$3K.  I'm getting the bell cut this summer, and having a handrest added.  If all goes well...I'll be taking lessons with Ethel next year, and I'm working up the rep for the Chicago Civic Orchestra auditions.......I think it would be great to have the only stock horn on stage.  I'll have it on tour with me this summer, if you see Regiment around, look for the old guy playing in the parking lot.  You can toot on it if you like.  

Gotta go Pack....

Michael

dude, ,how does it play and how much does it cost  ... im looking to get a new horn , as soon as i get gthe $$

Hey,

It plays like a dream.  I've always been a Holton fan, and originally intended to buy an H105...the "Flagship" model with interchangeable leadpipes, etc.  As horrible as this sounds, money wasn't really an issue for me....I took out a huge student loan to finance the purchase of just about any horn I wanted.  I tried nearly every stock horn on the market, and even a few customs....Atkins, Paxman, Kruspe, EVERYTHING......buying my horn was a 2 year process.  The people at woodwind and brasswind got REALLLLLY  sick of me coming in, trying every instrument on the shelf.  

The millenium Merker is by far THE BEST horn I've ever played, OR even looked at.  The little extras make it great.  Water Key on the 3rd valve of the Bb side (where Holtons ALWAYS collect water)...the heavy valve caps keep the weight firmly in the left hand for standing solo work.  The bronze bell (while admittedly heavy) adds such a beautiful, sonorous sound.....can you tell I'm in love?  

I actually purchased the last of the limited edition Millenium models from Ethel herself....and got quite a great deal.  She tried it out and picked it herself.  It's a dream.  

You can probably get one used for sub-$3K.  I'm getting the bell cut this summer, and having a handrest added.  If all goes well...I'll be taking lessons with Ethel next year, and I'm working up the rep for the Chicago Civic Orchestra auditions.......I think it would be great to have the only stock horn on stage.  I'll have it on tour with me this summer, if you see Regiment around, look for the old guy playing in the parking lot.  You can toot on it if you like.  

Gotta go Pack....

Michael

woohoo ..... if u happen to any senior corps shows .. look for sky .. and ask for jean :-)

Hey DoubleHighEZ,

4) Brass/Nickel Conn Victor Bb Cornet

How does that Victor play?  I'm trying out a bunch of vintage cornets this weekend.  I'm thinking I want a Victor, especially if it has the compensating mechanism that changes all the slide positions for the key change to A.  I really need a cornet for Dixieland stuff.  

Ahh, buying new toys.  One of the great pleasures of life. :)

Only one horn for me.  My CC tuba is a Getzen CB-50.  The CB stands for Canadian Brass, and you have seen these horns if you've seen the tape of Blast! from London.  You can still buy them, but they're just "G-50s" since CB went back to the evils of Yamaha.  <shameless plug>You can see a picture of mine at my website. </plug>  :D

Ha!!!  I don't even OWN a brass instrument!  The only instruments I own are my Gemeinhardt 2SP and my Yamaha 385 flutes!  I want a ephonium though.  I'm hoping a beautiful Besson will fall from the sky (:-D

Capitla Regiment baritone 01

Trumpet

Bach Strad 37

and some Yamaha Japan trumpet that I'm not too sure about.  I believe it's a student model, seeing that my uncle had it before me and that was the only reason why I decided to play the trumpet.  Now, it's such an amazing experience...

I got a few horns..

Trumpet:

-The Traditional Bach (selmer) in brass  (started on this)

-Bach Strad simi-pro in Silver

-Some horn i bought from India for 25 bucks, nice horn.. no model or make it was a hand made horn, but you can't tell expect you can see the weld on the pinky ring on the lead-pipe.

Trombones:

-Bach tenor student model

-King Cleveland tenor

-Jupiter Soprano trombone

-plans to buy a Bass-trombone

-Selmer Alto Sax, bought it off of old highschool for 50 bucks, plays great.

-some flute I bought off a friend a week ago. nice as far as Flutes can go..  :p

-Yamaha PSR-330 keyboard

-Concertmate 990 keyboard

-Casio CA-110 keyboard

-Fender acoustic guitar

And i'll prolly add as much to that list as i can over the years. Next in my plans is for a Flugelhorn, then a Kanstul Soprano. Then the bass trombone. Then maybe a professional trumpet. I guess it'll all depend on how much money i have as time goes on.  :D  TTFN

I have a Bundy Tenor Trombone and a Bach F attachment Trombone. I started on the Bundy, then when I got into HS, switched to the Bach.....then went to Drum Corps and went to Baritone.