Which trumpet manufacturer do you prefer?

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which trumpet manufacturer do you prefer?

• Dynasty
    • Yamaha
    • King
    • Jupiter
    • Bach
    • Other (what brand?)

for Bb's

Bach Strad is the most over-rated 'professional' horn model, they are not good at all what so ever...especially if you want to play a low C# in tune or D-F area in the staff, very dull sounding naturally in that area (more so than others I should say).

the exception goes to Mt. Vernon back stradavarius'... those ones were incredible!

I second the schilke trumpets

the best 'common' professional trumpet that I've played on is the Bobby Shew Yamaha Z ... VERY VERY nice horn.

-----

as for the common drum corps trumpet models... I pretty much hated them all, except xeno is okay... I hated playing a King but I actually like the sound of hornlines playing on them, go figure

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

He said he has the guy from Marshall Music looking into it. The current Bachs are cracking and he said they arent that old. Ive only been teaching there for 3 years so I dont know when they really got them. He wanted to know about Jupiter horns but from the looks here they are hit or miss. Ive played on all the ones listed except Jupiter.

I wonder which model cracked?

You make a valid point, it's great that a 50 year-old horn has a great reputation, but how are the current models holding up? I think if I had Bachs that were cracking up, I might look elsewhere as well. But just like everything else, most of the time you get what you pay for.

I wonder if they could buy used drum corps brass? Many schools won't pay for second hand, so that might not be an option. The Cadets Yamaha Xeno I bought was in great shape, and was obviously well taken care of, and the price ($1250) was well below the internet price of around $1900 from that time for a new one.

BTW, I didn't vote for any brand. I don't know anything except for the very few trumpets I have experience with. I'd ask a band director, to get a better opinion than mine!

Edited by wvu80

He said he has the guy from Marshall Music looking into it. The current Bachs are cracking and he said they arent that old. Ive only been teaching there for 3 years so I dont know when they really got them. He wanted to know about Jupiter horns but from the looks here they are hit or miss. Ive played on all the ones listed except Jupiter.

They're "cracking?" You mean the horn is physically falling apart in some way? Are these TR300s or Strads, or some other model? If they're Strads made during the strike years, yeah, there are some hit or miss horns from that time, but they have moved far beyond that with their current manufacturing setup. These days they are much, much more consistent and they're also able to fill orders in a much more timely manner than ever before.

Jupiter has gotten better, but its chief problem continues to be that they just aren't using as high a quality of material as other manufacturers. They try to make up for it by increasing the bracing and strength of solder points, but that only goes so far; they continue to have a reputation for not being durable in the long term.

Are you guys trying to buy student-model horns or something else?

They're "cracking?" You mean the horn is physically falling apart in some way? Are these TR300s or Strads, or some other model? If they're Strads made during the strike years, yeah, there are some hit or miss horns from that time, but they have moved far beyond that with their current manufacturing setup. These days they are much, much more consistent and they're also able to fill orders in a much more timely manner than ever before.

Jupiter has gotten better, but its chief problem continues to be that they just aren't using as high a quality of material as other manufacturers. They try to make up for it by increasing the bracing and strength of solder points, but that only goes so far; they continue to have a reputation for not being durable in the long term.

Are you guys trying to buy student-model horns or something else?

All I know is the current horns are Bach. We have a show today and i can get the specifics.

Though I'm not a trumpet player, I have dabbled on it. Out of all of the horns I have tried I liked the King Horn best

If those are cracking, I might look into what kind of abuse the horns are taking. Generally those Bachs like other student line horns are built like tanks and can take a lot of physical abuse and still play.

As far as people being worried over tuning with different makes of horns, thats all a load of codswallop. As long as they are all using a quality instrument in general, they will all be able to blend and play together just fine.

Look into the CAUSE of the cracking as it should really not be happening. Outside that, I stand by my above recommendations

If those are cracking, I might look into what kind of abuse the horns are taking. Generally those Bachs like other student line horns are built like tanks and can take a lot of physical abuse and still play.

As far as people being worried over tuning with different makes of horns, thats all a load of codswallop. As long as they are all using a quality instrument in general, they will all be able to blend and play together just fine.

Look into the CAUSE of the cracking as it should really not be happening. Outside that, I stand by my above recommendations

Its the inside thats cracking not the part that touches the ground when they set it down.

You mean the valves are having issues? or that solder joints are cracking? or are brass tubes literally ripping apart at the seams?