Random Encounters

I prepare income taxes for a living, and 7 or 8 yrs ago a couple comes in one night to get their taxes done and among their W-2's is a small one from a school system. Since he wasn't a teacher by profession, I asked about it and it turns out he teaches band part time. Naturally, I asked if he was familiar with drum corps and it was off to the races after that...he follows both DCI and DCA. In subsequent years, I had to block off a longer appointment time for them because once he and I get going, we could talk corps all night. His wife gets a kick out of us and says she hasn't a clue what we're talking about but we seem to enjoy ourselves.

A old high school band buddy called me today. He was installing a bathroom and got to talking music with the couple that owned the house. Turns out the woman marched Crossmen in the early 90s and my buddy said "do you know <my lame drumcorps knickname>?" He couldn't remember my years but she was a rookie during my age out. After I hang up with him I tell my wife and she said she went to high school with the woman and has been looking for her for 20 years. We all hope to hang out soon and catch up. Small world.

In the past two days, I have had two random drum corps encounters

The First happened yesterday when I was in my school's cafeteria. I was walking to go use the bathroom or something and some guy stops me and asks me who my favorite corps is. I was a little confused, but I then remembered I was wearing a Crossmen shirt. We got to talking, turns out he marches in Blessed Sac's A guard. He was telling me that he is doing DCA this summer. It turns out that we are both going to audition at the Connecticut Hurricanes this year.

The second one occurred at work today. I teach several swim classes and lifeguard at my local YMCA, and after one of the classes I was getting my whistle and shirt back on, and one of the mothers spots my Bluecoats lanyard that I keep my whistle on. She asked if I liked corps, and then we got to talking. She has never marched, but she loves to go see the corps

I live for the day when I have a random Drum Corps encounter.

Not likely this side of the pond...!

I was in a supermarket and saw a man wearing a Skyliners jacket approach a woman wearing a Caballeros jacket and start talking drum corps. I joined the conversation after telling them both I had marched in Bushwackers.

Just remembered this one from spring. Driving north on I95 on the Girard Point Bridge near Philly. I was stuck in traffic and noticed a Crossmen and a Cadet window sticker ahead of me in the left lane. My lane crawled ahead and I motioned for the driver to put down his window. I yelled "did you march?". He said he marched Crossmen and Cadets and I responded that both corps were looking to have a great summer and he agreed. Traffic started moving and we zoomed off.

• Like 2

Happened just now: at a band festival in Leander TX guy sat down in front of me wearing bluecoats hat. Son marched contra this past summer and the guy is fine arts director at Georgetown Tx school district. Small world.

I'm not sure of the year, I think it was 1990 and I took a few days off to follow the Cadets around. I drove ffrom Natchez to Red Stick in time to catch the show at Tiger Stadium. The next day I drove to Gulfport, MS to catch the show there, and after working the food truck and scrubbing every pot and pan the Cadets owned, (I had some KP experience from Basic and washed pots and pans for several thousand people at Thanksgiving 1966) I got a chance to talk to some some of the Cadets. The first person I talked to was born and raised on the same street in Kearny, NJ that I was born on. (Well, actually I was born in a Hospital, not on the street.) But he was not the only person from this street. I also met a Labor Arbitrator in my professional career when I was working in Mobile. AL who came from the same street.

Also knew of a guy who played snare with SAC in the same line as Marty Hurley. He was gone from school every day before the door closed and had no extracurricular activities.

Had a classmate who played flag with SAC. Talked to him the other day. He played Lineman on the football team and wrestled on several State Championship teams. As nasty as St. Lucy's could be back in those days, they didn't mess with SAC. You could end up with a wooden flagpoll indentation in your skull.

Kevin Doherty

kdohert@gmail.com

Oops, mispelled flagpole.

K

Last year I was subbing at this high school and was introduced to the principal. He asked about me and I mentioned that I marched and taugh corps. He said, "I marched too, with the Simplex Minutemen!" I replied, " Hey, we beat you at the NT Open in 1976! You took 3rd and Krescendos took 2nd!" He was the drum major that year. Small world.

Are talking about Dr. George Kenney! He is a great man!

Edited by Pioneersop98