Random Encounters

Sister had on a Cadets shirt at college and one prof asked her to stay after class (rut-roh). Turned out he marched IC Reveries. Called me about it and I asked if he was part of the "Sit In". She said she'd ask and didn't bother to ask what the Sit-In was (long distance call). Three days later the phone rings, first words I hear where "What the HELL was the Sit In, his jaw hit the floor when I asked". :devil: Turned out he aged out the year before....

And what WAS the Sit In you ask???

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/2008/03/troopers-win-vfw-reveries-protest.html

And THE pic...

http://www.thefog.com/reveries/sitdown2.jpg

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Sister had on a Cadets shirt at college and one prof asked her to stay after class (rut-roh). Turned out he marched IC Reveries. Called me about it and I asked if he was part of the "Sit In". She said she'd ask and didn't bother to ask what the Sit-In was (long distance call). Three days later the phone rings, first words I hear where "What the HELL was the Sit In, his jaw hit the floor when I asked". :devil: Turned out he aged out the year before....

And what WAS the Sit In you ask???

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/2008/03/troopers-win-vfw-reveries-protest.html

And THE pic...

http://www.thefog.com/reveries/sitdown2.jpg

Good to know drum corps is actually organized and a bit more mature than it was BITD! Interesting story, though! :blink:

• Like 1

A couple of years a younger guy showed up at my Toastmasters club. I ended up sitting across the table from him at the restaurant that we go to after our meeting. I had not been able to talk to him before I heard him say "do you know anything about drum corps?" He marched Garfield in the 2000s. He's moved to another town but I still tease him about Hopkins on FB, when appropriate.

• Like 1

I was in the drive-thru at the Burger King in Ellicott City, MD one morning. I was stopped, waiting for my turn to drive to the window and pay when the lady behind me gets out of her car and knocks on my passenger side window. She saw my various bumper stickers and told me that she loves DCI.

One of the paid firefighters (not volunteer) in MD has been playing Bari in various corps since the 80s (competitive and now Alumni type). E City sounds familiar but has been a while since I knew where he worked.

And used to have family there so mebbe that's why I'm thinking Ellicott City...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A couple of years a younger guy showed up at my Toastmasters club. I ended up sitting across the table from him at the restaurant that we go to after our meeting. I had not been able to talk to him before I heard him say "do you know anything about drum corps?" He marched Garfield in the 2000s. He's moved to another town but I still tease him about Hopkins on FB, when appropriate.

Wow... I'm a Toastmaster, too! Parkville Toastmasters Club in Maryland. Small world!!!

Edited by Fran Haring

I'd forgotten about this one... I had a random encounter with an entire drum corps! Back in 1989. I was on tour singing with a small group from Azusa Pacific University. We were somewhere in the mid-west on the way to the church we were singing at that night. As we drive by a school, I take a look and what do I see? Star of Indiana buses! The church turned out to be only a mile or so away so I high-tailed it back there and caught a few minutes of rehearsal time.

Randys post reminded me of this one, also forgotten for decades. :doh:

Back in the mid 80s (forget month and year) my girlfriend (now wife) and I drove to Toronto to visit my cousin and see the area. Kinda weird time as he had just moved there from the UK and was renting (or is it "renting") a guys half furnished basement. Anyway one evening he is driving us somewhere and pass a stadium with a packed parking lot. I look over and for a second I see a familiar sight on the field. Two seconds later it hits me "Whoa.... it's a drum corps show!" Cuz offer to stop but we continued on.

Have no idea what show it was, mebbe even Canadian Nationals. Think it was between eastern end of Toronto (Scarborough?) and either CN Tower or the old football/baseball stadium.

A similar encounter to Randy's:

Driving home from a gig 200 miles south of home...it's late, about 3am, and I'm flagging. So I decide to pull off and rest. I enter the rest area, finding most of it taken up with the entire Madison Scouts entourage. They were dead to the world, so I didn't geek out on them...or as my kids say now, 'creep on 'em'. The few I saw trudging to the rest room looked absolutely beat.

i'm a cashier at a store and there was a kid wearing a carolina crown t-shirt, caught me by surprise