Random Encounters

Although not exactly on topic, I grew up in the little town of Old Tappan in New Jersey. I live about a block away from Don Angelica. I knew at that time that he was a band director for Bergenfield High School (he got toilet papered quite a bit) but it wasn't til years later that I realized that he was also a drum corps legend. By then, we had both moved out of town.

Although not an encounter I did have a sighting of a Bluecoats jacket in Spain, I wasn't close enough to engage in a conversation. That must be the most random of spots and a rare sighting for drum corps apparel as I don't know of any drum corps in Spain.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in my first year in college at George Washington University in D.C., one of the guys who came around in his van and sold carpet was a former Colts member. Small world. With my Crossmen/DCI ties, I got a REALLY good deal on some sweet shag carpet for the room.

Just this last March I saw a Trooper corps jacket in Prague, Czech Republic. I tried to get across the street to ask the person if they were a current or past member, but, she got into the metro before I could talk to her.

Was at an airport in Baltimore once. Was wearing a Bluecoats shirt. Guy with an Academy shirt asked if I marched drum corps. At the time I hadn't and told him so. I asked if he marched Academy and he said that he volunteered with them, but had marched Phantom Regiment BITD. I told him that the guy who got me into DCI was a Phantom 93 vet. His wife said, "No way..." and I was like "What?" Turns out the guy I was talking to was also a member of Phantom Regiment 1993.

Edited by TrumpetVinny

I was working out at the gym and I was wearing a Bluecoats t-shirt at the time when an elderly woman asked me if I was a member or a fan. I responded both and ended up finding out that her son had marched cadets 95-96 and also went to high school with one of the band directors I currently teach with! Who is also an alum of early 90's VK.

Just recently I ran into an old friend that I marched with in HS and then again in corps. It was a random encounter because we both now live in a different state than where we marched in HS or corps, and neither one of us knew the other was living there, in the same city even. We actually ran into each other in the hospitality room at a band competition.

I found out two weeks ago one of my recruits works for YEA. He was shocked I told him I marched Cadets in 1999 and 2000.

Hey man, Are you an RDC now??

My story..

In Diego Garcia wearing my Whites. I Have a Waldo and BAC tattoo on my forearms... Pilot walks into the weather office and notices. Ends up he marched BD in the 90s

I am a private fishing boat capt and I am at my bosses store (Palacio de los jugos). A couple notices my tattoos and asked if I marched. Ends up they both marched BAC 09 and 10..

So many more but these are the 2 that stand out

Some of the folks on here know that I'm an avid 1/4 mile drag racer, and Street Legal Drag race days require that you get up bright and early to get a good spot in line for the required technical inspection. While waiting for Tech to open it isn't uncommon to walk around, check out the competition and talk it up with other racers, and on this day there were 300+ cars. Anyway, I spotted one vehicle that had a DCI logo sticker in the corner of the back window underneath his car number, and the owner was leaning against it. I said, "Boy, that DCI sticker is something your never see at a track-- did you march?" This quizzical expression crossed his face than he said, "OMG, you're the Buick guy that marched SCV and taught my high school!" Turns out he was on the same racing internet forum I was and knew my name.

Pretty exciting moment when it happens, hehe!

Good stuff all :satisfied: