DQ's

How many overagers did Muchachos have? A couple? a lot?

I have seen various discussions on this over the years with some links to other discussions on other web sites. I think there is one on the 1976 Muchachos in the History Forum with some good links to stuff about the 1975 situation. One of the things I have seen mentioned in a few places is that there were 22 birth certificates that were considered to be suspect.

If that is true, then you are talking about marching 22 holes, or 22 rookies (assuming that the corps leadership would have heeded the multiple warnings about marching over-age members). I think that would make the 1975 Muchachos a completely different animal.

Edit: Actually, the 1976 Muchachos thread is a little below this one as of now.

Edited by Roark1

dang, I thought this thread was gonna have something to do with Dairy Queen, been craving a delicious shake all day.

me too!! a cherry dilly bar, sounds perfect!!

:starwars:

• Like 2

What do you mean?

I mean there are a lot of people who believe the DQ is what the starting of the end of the Muchachos. And lots of innocent members were devastated to see their dream go up in smoke.

I would say the question to ask is "if the staff who knowingly allowed a lot of overage members to march would have seen the effect on those members who were not overage would they have gone ahead with it."

Bingo... that is the question. And of course they would not have, but I can't see any corps blatently breaking the rules just in defiance of DCI like so many have said the Muchachos did. But again, I was not there and don't know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

yep heard all that also..I know members were told they won and a DCI official at the time led them to believe this as well.

Yeah some of the old respected guys were alot tougher than most like to let on and competition was just as fierce as it is now....maybe more

I did hear Warren and Jones were sorta a team back then and I do know some didn't like MAC ( Hawthornes director..also have to remember kids rarely corps hopped so the kid that went back to cavies did what he had to to get back in good graces i guess.

Can anyone explain why DCI personnel did not like MAC? He was the Caballeros First drum major and cared as a director also it seems to me.

I certainly understand your reasoning concerning 89 SCV and will give it some thought. Would you agree, though, that if actual forgery of (legal) documentation, such as birth certificates or passports, was done by the parties involved that they should be prosecuted and brought to trial in the court of law?

Stu... the parties involved were British and they way the corps was notified was the result of a British or American customs agency.

Yes, they were sent back to the UK and I imagine were sent to court.

I agree that if we (SCV 1989) tried in any way shape or form to cover up the incident rather than provide immediate disclosure of the situation then things might have been handled by DCI a different way.

So you also have this same discontent toward the other youth associations like NCAA and the multitude of State High School Associations which have the same sort of DQ rule for teams when individuals cheat in the same manner?

Agree with you on this logic Stu... I officiated hockey for many years and the same nonsense occurred.

It is a devastating impact on the corps members who were not involved; but, needs to be in place as a serious deterrent.

Just a thought... since the latest DQ occurred in the 1980s, would it not appear that the DQ deterrent has accomplished it's objective?

• 6 months later...

There's a remarkable thread under the Muchachos' photo in Facebook's 1970's Drum & Bugle Corps group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/340250541827/) in which Dennis DeLucia, through postings by G James Miller, describes in detail what transpired during the 1975 season leading to the Muchachos' disqualification. It's a must-read for anyone wanting to know what really happened. It's also very sad, considering its impact on the corps members.

Could you re-post here? I was kicked out for "bullying" ME a BULLY? LOL

There's a remarkable thread under the Muchachos' photo in Facebook's 1970's Drum & Bugle Corps group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/340250541827/) in which Dennis DeLucia, through postings by G James Miller, describes in detail what transpired during the 1975 season leading to the Muchachos' disqualification. It's a must-read for anyone wanting to know what really happened. It's also very sad, considering its impact on the corps members.

With all due respect KeithHall, this thread isn't about you! Posts like this deter me.

This thread is respectfully about the Muchachos. Thanks for the memories of 74 and 75 Muchachos.

(awesome horn line : )

• Like 2