DCI 2012 Programs

Can someone please explain this BD show to me.... I'll say nothing more to avoid some down votes >.>

So its a show about chaos basically? >.<

From what I'm gathering, yes. Seems to me to almost be a 2008 Part Dos.

Edited by FaustianMachine

The repetoire is much more fan-friendly this year than previous years

A lot of recognizable music and recognizable composers

Richard Strauss, Phillip Glass, Vaughn Williams, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Holst

This is going to be a great year

I can't list all of the corps that I will be looking forward to seeing

I've always been amused and dismayed at the same time, when I see statements like the one I've highlighted in red, above.

"Recognizable"? All people are recognizable. We just don't recognize most of them.

And, so it is with people in music -- we throw around words like "recognizable" and "popular", as though they meant far more than they do, when judging the quality of people's work. Who cares if they're "recognizable"? Are they GOOD?

Anyway, glad you like the programs this year, whether you've heard of the composers before, or not.

• Like 1

I've always been amused and dismayed at the same time, when I see statements like the one I've highlighted in red, above.

"Recognizable"? All people are recognizable. We just don't recognize most of them.

And, so it is with people in music -- we throw around words like "recognizable" and "popular", as though they meant far more than they do, when judging the quality of people's work. Who cares if they're "recognizable"? Are they GOOD?

Anyway, glad you like the programs this year, whether you've heard of the composers before, or not.

He is claiming that the music is more "fan-friendly", in which case how recognizable the composers are is a factor. If two pieces were played equally well, but one is a very popular and well recognized symphony by a well-regarded composer and the other is an obscure opera from an unknown composer... well, which do you think the general public will appreciate more? Some people might give the popular piece more credit just because of its popularity; it may not be fair, but that's how it is unfortunately. Good thing this doesn't affect the judges, eh? ;)

Edited by AvanineCommuter

The list on the front page has been massively updated. Special thanks to Michael Boo for his live blog that provided a lot of the missing pieces for the rep list. :thumbup:

DUNCAN Sheik is the name of the "Spring Awakenings" composer (for Academy).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been to 5 shows this year. Absolute favorite BY FAR is Jersey Surf's tribute to Bridgemen. Uninterrupted string of standing ovations since the very first day should tell you that this corps does what the crowd likes best. And isn't this what is really all about? Count them in for Big Loud and Live and you will have thousands of kids and families saying thanks (and becoming big DCI fans).