Drugs & Drum Corps

I have always thought in the back of my mind about all the times ive heard people either in drum corps currently, or that have marched in the past, talk about stories on tour where theyve either seen members/staff using or have done something themselves. I know there's the rule of "what happens on tour, stays on tour." but it just makes me wonder what effect (if any) it has(had) on the marching activity.

Discuss.

• Like 1

I thought you were going to discuss Ibuprofen abuse...I would think anti-inflammatory drugs are abused far more than any other in the world of today's drum corps -

The days of various corps members earning the nickname "pharmacy" are over...

Edited by FHdork

I have always thought in the back of my mind about all the times ive heard people either in drum corps currently, or that have marched in the past, talk about stories on tour where theyve either seen members/staff using or have done something themselves. I know there's the rule of "what happens on tour, stays on tour." but it just makes me wonder what effect (if any) it has(had) on the marching activity.

Discuss.

I can't prove it, but my hunch is that at least one of the former marchers that used to partake in it, left Corps then later on came onto DCP, then registered their poster name as " wackywords", and then started a wacky thread filled with some wackywords.

• Like 4

I think people are willfully naive about this kind of thing in drum corps. People want to believe that "drum corps kids" are perfect angels who never, ever do anything bad. The reality is that drinking and drug use happens, though the demands of the activity mean that it is hard to get away with it. In my experience, I think corps members are at risk for developing addictions to pain killers. One person I know had some leftover Vicodin from an old injury, and used to distribute it liberally to his friends. I never did anything like that, but there was one time when I had my hamstring and took 11 extra strength Tylenol in one day, so I wouldn't miss rehearsal. If I had taken many more, I could have gone into liver failure. I think alcoholism among drum corps staff is a bigger problem.

• Like 4

People want to believe that "drum corps kids" are perfect angels who never, ever do anything bad there was one time when I had my hamstring and took 11 extra strength Tylenol in one day,

You certainly convinced me that you did something bad( or not too bright ). Anybody that takes 11 extra strength tylenol in one day doesn't know how to read... or follow... the directions for pain medications on a bottle. You are fortunate you didn't scare your stomach lining.

• Like 1

I can't prove it, but my hunch is that at least one of the former marchers that used to partake in it, left Corps then later on came onto DCP, then registered their poster name as " wackywords", and then started a wacky thread filled with some wackywords.

Believe it or not, ive never had a single drug in my life. yes, i do drink, but ive never had any type of drug, EVER. (not even a cigarette.)

Believe it or not, ive never had a single drug in my life. yes, i do drink, but ive never had any type of drug, EVER. (not even a cigarette.)

Alcohol is a drug.

• Like 2

The worst of this is beer talk...the kind of thing best left to a casual night out over beers/wines and good conversation.

This board is well traveled by many...most of whom do not register and/or post. They just come here to see what the world of drum corps is all about. And while I don't think this should be closed or removed, I do think we should be wary of airing our dirty laundry HERE.

<the demands of the activity mean that it is hard to get away with it.>

Exactly. All corps have no mercy policies about this stuff. One of the triumphs of today's drum corps is that, compared to college (or high school) football and other sports, it is a squeaky clean activity. No...it's not perfect...it's an activity centered around youth 14-22...so stuff happens.

Drugs are not a problem in today's drum corps.

• Like 3

The worst of this is beer talk...the kind of thing best left to a casual night out over beers/wines and good conversation.

This board is well traveled by many...most of whom do not register and/or post. They just come here to see what the world of drum corps is all about. And while I don't think this should be closed or removed, I do think we should be wary of airing our dirty laundry HERE.

<the demands of the activity mean that it is hard to get away with it.>

Exactly. All corps have no mercy policies about this stuff. One of the triumphs of today's drum corps is that, compared to college (or high school) football and other sports, it is a squeaky clean activity. No...it's not perfect...it's an activity centered around youth 14-22...so stuff happens.

Drugs are not a problem in today's drum corps.

If at least one person uses drugs, drugs are a problem. Drugs are a problem in EVERY walk of life.

• Like 3

I think that the worst of it were the early 70's. Back then everyone either had some pot (among other things) or knew somebody who did. Looking back on it it was pretty crazy.