2012 PR- "Turandot"

I may be reading too far into this, but consider the following:

JD Shaw was the AMAZING soloist on Nessun Dorma in 91.

Any chance this is a way for the remaining team to stick it to the guy(s) that left?

I just wonder how amazing Shaw's arrangement of the piece would have been...

Puccini has written some of the most emotionally evocative music of all time.

Puccini is great music for drum corps.

Since Nessun Dorma has been beaten to death by every major tenor and figure skater on the planet for the last 20 years, it comes with an immediate recognition factor, even from people who typically eschew opera. Besides, it's been beaten to death 'cause it's a tune that no one ever tires of hearing, so it's never really been beaten to death.

The Regiment traditionally has displayed a design sense (although I despise last year's uniforms) that one could see as bringing beautiful visual execution to this program.

Sounds like potential for a whole lotta' win. thumbup.gif

A local high school did it this year, and I found myself constantly comparing it to Regiment.

That's the drawback (for me) of high schools doing music that corps have used. lol

If 2011's Juliet is anything to go by then the story will follow the opera quite closely but the actual music will probably come from more than one source i.e. not just from Turandot.

Just a guess, who knows...???

I hope not. Unlike R&J, virtually no one knows the story behind Turandot (regardless of how many "XXXX's Got Talent" shows they've seen). Sure everyone knows Nessun Dorma but the storyline of the opera is (IMO) far to complex to put on the field.

While the music may not be drawn entirely from Turandot, my guess it will be an all Puccini production.

I find it interesting that Phantom is choosing to play the nostalgia card two years in a row.

I hope not. Unlike R&J, virtually no one knows the story behind Turandot

Anyone who knows anything about opera knows the story of Turandot.

Anyone who knows anything about opera knows the story of Turandot.

Like I said...most of the audience won't know the story smile.gif

I'm sure it can and will be pared down to a more manageable version. It just lacks the wide familiarity of Romeo & Juliet.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Like I said...most of the audience won't know the story smile.gif

I'm sure it can and will be pared down to a more manageable version. It just lacks the wide familiarity of Romeo & Juliet.

Count me among those who know absolutely nothing about it.

I'm a little skeptical about the choice (mostly because of familiarity), but I concur with others that PR is typically great at developing story-based shows. Even the near-disastrous Red Violin was a great concept (in my opinion), just poorly designed in a couple areas.

When I first heard the opera in college, I knew someday I wanted to arrange a show based on it. There is enough material there for a full show.

However, if I were a betting man, I'd wager the show will likely include a lot of other stuff besides the Puccini.

BOA has one of the most exhaustive lists of music publishers to be wary of. I'm pretty sure anything by Puccini is on there. My understanding is for some reason, getting all the rights to arrange an opera can be like pulling teeth (or at least, can take longer than most other types of music). *)%$( prima donnas :rolleyes:

I'd love it if the show is all Puccini and only Puccini, but it will probably follow the trend of the past several shows and include material from other sources.

I may be reading too far into this, but consider the following:

JD Shaw was the AMAZING soloist on Nessun Dorma in 91.

Any chance this is a way for the remaining team to stick it to the guy(s) that left?

Maybe this is a piece they stayed away from because of his connection. And maybe they are doing it now as a way to say thank you?

• Like 2

I like the music and I think it’s a good fit

Opera is a bit under utilized in drum corps – there was a feeding frenzy on Broadway shows that never seem to extend to opera

Of course, all will depend upon their treatment of the material and I think a simpler, interruptive version would work well, similar to what they did last year