Restructuring the DCI BOD

yes, but you can't have one without the other, which was my point.

todays shows arent designed for the common Joe to get it. so if you send an ensemble to a fair and have them play Glee's greatest hits, then you sell tickets for $20 to go to the show and from the 10 yard line they see shows like "Death of a Unicorn in 4 movements with songs you never heard of".....

what's the odds they'll come back?

If you really analyze the show structures and contents over the past ten years of all competing corps, most shows are more akin to the 2011 Scouts, 2011 Crown, 2008 Regiment, 2009 SCV, etc... than to the esoteric experimentation of the Cadets and Blue Devils. Those esoteric shows received much attention because of the competitive placements of the corps, and granted a few other corps tended to follow suit because of those placements. However, even at that the Cadets had to do their 2009 production and their 2011 production to get back more fans screaming and yelling in the stands for their corps. I really believe in the bottom of my heart that the "Joes" who scream, yell, and buy souvies actually drive, and will continue to drive, the show designs within DCI. Why? Because even though a DCI ring is a huge force in propelling the quality of performance, winning a ring in front of 60,000 screaming fans is far more satisfying (both emotionally and financially) than winning a ring in front of 7,000 fans golf-clapping.

I agree with you about needing to play to a wider audience, but please address this issue: I am a fan who purchased a top row 50 yard line seat for $120; and during the evening I discover the corps are now playing an equal portion of their show directed toward the person who is on the bottom row on the ten yard line and that person paid just $25.

During the evening, you also realize that since corps direct attention to both sides of you, that the 50 yard line is still the best place to sit.

A better show equals more fans willing to pay the higher price in the wings.

Only if more fans are aware of the activity and aware of that quality.

To wait for the seats to fill before raising prices is wrong. Demand is created by perceived value (or actual value in this case). Raising the prices and providing a better show will create demand.

Agree that demand is created by perceived or actual value. But raising prices when attempting to reach a new clientele who have never been exposed to DCI will not bring their butts to those seats The only way for them to perceive or see the value is to entice them to attend (ie discounted tickets after seeingg a small group perform at an arts fest for example).

If you wait until the seats are full, what's the line to cross? Do you wait until the whole home side is full before raising prices? That would be a waste of revenue and, when you do raise prices, you'd see attendance fall back to less-than-full again. Do you raise prices per 10-yard sections? When the seats between the 20 and 30 fill up then you raise the prices?

Yes you want to wait, it is called supply and demand. Sell outs increase demand yet the supply stays consistent. Therefore you raise the prices as the shows begin to sell out. Then if attendance begins to wain you lower prices to once again get attendance close to sell outs. Also, when a sell out occurs it increases the perceived value.

Won't work that way.

Will, and does, work that way.

Edited by Stu

During the evening, you also realize that since corps direct attention to both sides of you, that the 50 yard line is still the best place to sit.

But, while last year *All* attention from the performance was directed toward me and the people who decided to pay less were aware of that fact, this year some of that attention is now directed away from me and toward those on the fringes. And, if I am losing that attention directed toward me (bugles are directional instruments), *which is why I paid that high price to begin with*, I should therefore not have to pay the same high price as last year.

Edited by Stu

Rules are changed to float judges around the stadium (home side only tongue.gif)

Why home side only? The battle of the bands sells out the entire Atlanta Dome and the ensembles play to all seats surrounding the entire field. Oh yeah, we are talking about the "real" show here called DCI (forgot, sorry).

I actually sit on the 50, Stu, and I wouldn't care. I'd get a great show, no matter. Remember Bluecoats cranking out Rocky on the 25? I was on the 50 and I loved it.

But, where was their directional focus while parked on the 25? Toward the center; that is why you were still able to love it. Take that same configuration and move their focus to the seats on 10 yard line away from the 50 and then determine how much you would have loved not hearing them as well as combined with them giving that performance directed to the cheap seats. We are *not* talking about rock concerts where stacks of amps are directed toward multiple places around the stadium; we are talking about un-amplified bell-front brass which are ultra directional; and if the corps is on the 25 the people in which those bells are toward will receive the best sound; and if they point to the crowd on the ten while parked on the 25, good luck to the people in the high priced seats on the 50 getting a great, wonderful, sound.

Edited by Stu

If you really analyze the show structures and contents over the past ten years of all competing corps, most shows are more akin to the 2011 Scouts, 2011 Crown, 2008 Regiment, 2009 SCV, etc... than to the esoteric experimentation of the Cadets and Blue Devils. Those esoteric shows received much attention because of the competitive placements of the corps, and granted a few other corps tended to follow suit because of those placements.

If you really analyze the show structures and contents over the past ten years of all competing corps, most shows are more akin to the 2011 Scouts, 2011 Crown, 2008 Regiment, 2009 SCV, etc... than to the esoteric experimentation of the Cadets and Blue Devils. Those esoteric shows received much attention because of the competitive placements of the corps, and granted a few other corps tended to follow suit because of those placements. However, even at that the Cadets had to do their 2009 production and their 2011 production to get back more fans screaming and yelling in the stands for their corps. I really believe in the bottom of my heart that the "Joes" who scream, yell, and buy souvies actually drive, and will continue to drive, the show designs within DCI. Why? Because even though a DCI ring is a huge force in propelling the quality of performance, winning a ring in front of 60,000 screaming fans is far more satisfying (both emotionally and financially) than winning a ring in front of 7,000 fans golf-clapping.

The average Joe walking in the first time isn't going to know the names, personalities and history Stu. And from the 10 yard line, they won't get half the shows.

we as diehards ##### about how much we pay for shows we don't get, but we're diehards....we'll ##### but go back. The average Joe isn't going to go back.

Let's say I go to a state fair in 2011, and see an ensemble from SCV playing Journey, and then I buy a ticket for a show, thinking I'm going to see the best in world essentially doing pop tunes, you know college football band stuff.

Then I go to the show that night and the lineup is BD, SCV, Glassmen, Crest and Teal Sound.

Now what are the odds I'll want to go back next year and pay the full price?

If you think they will, you're mistaken. Because I have paid for tickets for folks who had 0 knowledge of DCI going in, and even a show like Crowns the last few years, or Cadets 09...in fact the show in 09 did have Cadets in it....wasn't enough to bring that person back on their own dime.

I'm sure this is funny or sarcastic, but I don't get it. What's the connection to NBC? (I don't watch network TV)

And what about audiodb and Jeff? They aren't sinister or sardonic enough?

Geesh. An exclusive club! My first!

No Body Cares dot com

• Like 1

The average Joe walking in the first time isn't going to know the names, personalities and history Stu. And from the 10 yard line, they won't get half the shows.

we as diehards ##### about how much we pay for shows we don't get, but we're diehards....we'll ##### but go back. The average Joe isn't going to go back.

Let's say I go to a state fair in 2011, and see an ensemble from SCV playing Journey, and then I buy a ticket for a show, thinking I'm going to see the best in world essentially doing pop tunes, you know college football band stuff.

Then I go to the show that night and the lineup is BD, SCV, Glassmen, Crest and Teal Sound.

Now what are the odds I'll want to go back next year and pay the full price?

If you think they will, you're mistaken. Because I have paid for tickets for folks who had 0 knowledge of DCI going in, and even a show like Crowns the last few years, or Cadets 09...in fact the show in 09 did have Cadets in it....wasn't enough to bring that person back on their own dime.

And I have taken people to the theater events, and to live shows, who became new fans. In fact, I was at a grocery store in late Aug striking up a conversation with a person in line, and found out the person in front of us had gotten dragged to the theater showing of prelims and was amazed that DCI was so great!! Our experiences are therefore vastly different. Also, you are stating that a corps will play just bubble-gum music at the arts fests then turn around and play just esoteric unaccessible material in the contest. Really? Moreover, if a person is not moved by a 2011 Scouts show, or a 2011 Crown show, or a 2008 Regiment show, or a 2009 SCV show they will not enjoy the drum corps genera no matter how things are changed up. And I really encourage you to do this research: Watch the DVD's of all of the shows in the past ten years; divide them into two categories 1) Esoteric/Cerebral and 2) Accessible/Entertaining; and you will find out that most, a large majority, actually lean toward category 2. We are actually just jaded because of the few esoteric, way out there shows by a few corps who received high scores for those programs.