Restructuring the DCI BOD

Hey, when it come to design (or in this case a Dionne Warwick video design) whatever floats your boat is not the issue. Experiment all you want, just do not complain when the crowd sits on their hands or boos; that is what I am saying.

Is this you, or is this the son logged in to your account again?

devil.gif

That was me a couple of weeks ago. - I'm his daughter thanks!

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 1

If you had read the G7 threads carefully you would have discovered that there were only 2, that's right, only 2 real objections against the entire proposal:

1) The elitism of the 7 forcefully relegating (demoting) all the other 16 WC corps into level B and level C lower status.

2) The elitism of the 7 forcefully eliminating all DCI support whatsoever for 19 of the OC corps, while retaining support for the two G7 feeder corps placing them in level C.

So; the objections were about an attempted elitist power grab *not* about innovative ideas on how to change DCI into a stronger organization.

Sorry you missed my point which I guess I wasn't clear on. Perhaps I'm personally finding most of the attitudes about any changes is usually "the sky is falling" on DCP. It's boring and repetitious. It's my fault. I'll stop reading these types of threads, but let me add:

1) I've been on the Board of Directors and involved in many arts organizations and funding is a 24-7, 365 day a year worry/time consumer/conundrum/pain in the keister.

2) The competition for attention with the internet, 200 cable channels, 25-plex cinemas and 24 hour shopping has caused a decline in attendance at ALL (in my experience) performance type events. Comparing drum corps attendance in the 70's, 80's and even 90's with current attendance based on DCI management/corps quality is statistically absurd. There are hundreds of reasons things are different.

3) The DCI BOD has done an admirable job (in my opinion) of staving off serious erosion or the REAL DEATH of DCI which could have happened without MAJOR changes in the business model, including the ticket prices, expenses, and marketing that so many gripe about.

4) Artsy people generally have a distaste/distrust for business based decisions (in my experience)

5) That is what I believe most of what I read in these type threads are. If this doesn't apply to you then I hope you're intelligent/mature enough to not find this offensive.

Peace, out.

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 1

Sorry you missed my point which I guess I wasn't clear on. Perhaps I'm personally finding most of the attitudes about any changes is usually "the sky is falling" on DCP. It's boring and repetitious. It's my fault. I'll stop reading these types of threads, but let me add:

1) I've been on the Board of Directors and involved in many arts organizations and funding is a 24-7, 365 day a year worry/time consumer/conundrum/pain in the keister.

2) The competition for attention with the internet, 200 cable channels, 25-plex cinemas and 24 hour shopping has caused a decline in attendance at ALL (in my experience) performance type events. Comparing drum corps attendance in the 70's, 80's and even 90's with current attendance based on DCI management/corps quality is statistically absurd. There are hundreds of reasons things are different.

3) The DCI BOD has done an admirable job (in my opinion) of staving off serious erosion or the REAL DEATH of DCI which could have happened without MAJOR changes in the business model, including the ticket prices, expenses, and marketing that so many gripe about.

4) Artsy people generally have a distaste/distrust for business based decisions (in my experience)

5) That is what I believe most of what I read in these type threads are. If this doesn't apply to you then I hope you're intelligent/mature enough to not find this offensive.

Peace, out.

You are correct on all accounts; especially #4!!! That is why my favorite present day corps is the Academy; they do care about creative quality, but they will not financially dump the corps into the red for the sake of art or in pursuit of a ring.

Edited by Stu

And I have taken people to the theater events, and to live shows, who became new fans. In fact, I was at a grocery store in late Aug striking up a conversation with a person in line, and found out the person in front of us had gotten dragged to the theater showing of prelims and was amazed that DCI was so great!! Our experiences are therefore vastly different. Also, you are stating that a corps will play just bubble-gum music at the arts fests then turn around and play just esoteric unaccessible material in the contest. Really? Moreover, if a person is not moved by a 2011 Scouts show, or a 2011 Crown show, or a 2008 Regiment show, or a 2009 SCV show they will not enjoy the drum corps genera no matter how things are changed up. And I really encourage you to do this research: Watch the DVD's of all of the shows in the past ten years; divide them into two categories 1) Esoteric/Cerebral and 2) Accessible/Entertaining; and you will find out that most, a large majority, actually lean toward category 2. We are actually just jaded because of the few esoteric, way out there shows by a few corps who received high scores for those programs.

Stu,

For the prices charged, 2-3 shows out of 12 that someone liked...is that enough to get them hooked?

If you really think that, you're sadly mistaken, because 2 shows out of 5 in my experiences hasn't been enough, even with great seats and tons of prep going in.

oh and I have every DCi dvd released....and over the last 10 years, we'll disagree

Stu,

For the prices charged, 2-3 shows out of 12 that someone liked...is that enough to get them hooked?

If you really think that, you're sadly mistaken, because 2 shows out of 5 in my experiences hasn't been enough, even with great seats and tons of prep going in.

oh and I have every DCi dvd released....and over the last 10 years, we'll disagree

Here is where we probably agree: With a few exceptions (ie Regiment Spartacus), I am not a fan of giving shows conceptual titles. Why? Because it is that very thing which unfortunately injects most of the cerebral/esoteric issues for the audience to intellectually interpret the music/drill/visual. Moreover, at DCI contests I do not want to be forced think about deep intellectual connections or be educated like I am sitting in a university classroom; I want to be entertained like I am sitting at a rock concert. So, if we go with titles/interpretation/intellectual connections while watching the DVDs I am with you 100% on disliking most shows over the past ten years.

That said, while you and I are older farts and we agree on most issues, here is where we might disagree. I reviewed the WC finalist shows for the past ten years (without trying to tie in the cerebral/esoteric title concepts). Left on their own, without forcing a concept title into the show, to me most shows are entertaining on their own merits. And it was actually easier for me to list the ones which made me go huh, nope, not my cup of tea (for DCI) than to list all of the shows I enjoyed:

Remember, this is taking out conceptual titles:

Did not like:

2011: Blue Stars visual, otherwise loved all finalist shows

2010: Blue Devils visual, SCV music

2009: Regiment visual, Blue Stars visual, Boston (enjoyed it but found it too risqué for a family atmosphere)

2008: Blue Devils period, Cadets props and talking

2007: Cadets talking

2006: Cadets period

2005: Cadets period, Blue Devils shouting announcer

2004: (loved all)

2003: Cavaliers music (but loved the visual)

2002: Cavaliers music (but loved the visual)

Here is where we probably agree: With a few exceptions (ie Regiment Spartacus), I am not a fan of giving shows conceptual titles. Why? Because it is that very thing which unfortunately injects most of the cerebral/esoteric issues for the audience to intellectually interpret the music/drill/visual. Moreover, at DCI contests I do not want to be forced think about deep intellectual connections or be educated like I am sitting in a university classroom; I want to be entertained like I am sitting at a rock concert. So, if we go with titles/interpretation/intellectual connections while watching the DVDs I am with you 100% on disliking most shows over the past ten years.

That said, while you and I are older farts and we agree on most issues, here is where we might disagree. I reviewed the WC finalist shows for the past ten years (without trying to tie in the cerebral/esoteric title concepts). Left on their own, without forcing a concept title into the show, to me most shows are entertaining on their own merits. And it was actually easier for me to list the ones which made me go huh, nope, not my cup of tea (for DCI) than to list all of the shows I enjoyed:

Remember, this is taking out conceptual titles:

Did not like:

2011: Blue Stars visual, otherwise loved all finalist shows

2010: Blue Devils visual, SCV music

2009: Regiment visual, Blue Stars visual, Boston (enjoyed it but found it too risqué for a family atmosphere)

2008: Blue Devils period, Cadets props and talking

2007: Cadets talking

2006: Cadets period

2005: Cadets period, Blue Devils shouting announcer

2004: (loved all)

2003: Cavaliers music (but loved the visual)

2002: Cavaliers music (but loved the visual)

Although I still teach I could be considered one of you also :tongue: Now heres where I disagree. I think except for a few stinkers and through the years even back in the day those stinkers exsisted I find todays shows way better, entertaining, demanding on all fronts. Unlike many here I found some of the throw back shows kinda boring last year and a few other recent years. But that is whats great about any art form .....all of it is subjective and drum corps is just that also.