1960s baritone carried like a contra?

Jim Nevermann

St Raphaels Buccaneers of Bridgeport Ct was the only other junior corps to carry one that season, "Debuting" THEIR Getzen contra a few weeks later at the DCN New Haven "Finals". The Hawthorne Caballeros and the USAF "Bolling AFB" drum corps had them by seasons end.

Elphaba

... and Dennis Banks (RIP) was the baritone player chosen to play what is now referred to as a "baby" contra ... St. Raphael's used brass lacquer horns (like Archie) vs. the chrome in those days ...

:-)

InspaDave noted that "Shoulder-fired Euphoniums are a common sight here in Japan." So what company, where, makes them? Have any photos?

Edited by Jim Nevermann

I seem to recall that the Haddonfield All-Girl Royaleers had a good-sized section of euphoniums (might have even replaced their whole Baritone section in the late 60's). In fact I think they may have won the VFW All-Girl class championship when they used them.

RCC

InspaDave noted that "Shoulder-fired Euphoniums are a common sight here in Japan." So what company, where, makes them? Have any photos?

Bueller... Bueller...

I am interested in this as well, not just being a smart aleck :cool:

I was in the New Bedford Whalers in the 60s & We had Whaley Royce euphoniums ,but they were carried front .Man those were big horns to carry out front. Was the sholder carry done as a result ? Great photo Ironlips.

Mike d.

In the late 1950's, Jack Bullock of the Geneva Appleknockers worked with the Whaley Royce company to develop the first contrabass used by a drum corps. The only flaw with the horn was that it was designed to play up front and not as a shoulder model. It was too heavy to use on the field, but the Appleknockers used it in their winter sit-down concerts and it can be heard quite distinctly on some of their late-50's/early 60's concert recordings. They also had Don Phipps play an upright string bass during one of their Gershwin medleys.........

I've always wondered what happened to that horn....I would think that it would have some historical value.

• 3 weeks later...

Bueller... Bueller...

??? No comprendo.

??? No comprendo.

Ferris Bueller reference?

I'm also interested in this issue. I think the Japanese just "jerry gigged" the lead pipe on a conventional euph, which is a great idea. I'm mean think about it, it's just a bend, a re soldered joint, with a brace. This is just my assertion.

I recall seeing the all girl corps (sorry can't recall the name) with the shoulder euphs at Wildwood many years ago. Also, as I stated in an earlier post, The Bronx Kingsmen had them, WR's as I recall.

If someone from Japan could enlighten us it would be appreciated. Mean while, I have a 2 valve euph that I may try to re do the lead pipe.

It should be noted that before the contra's came on the seen, it was the, what we now call a "baritone", played the lower register assigments, peddle tones and all.

Interesting thread. stein

And here is my Whaley, Royce & Co. shoulder euph, from the late 60s.

W-Rshouldereuph.jpg

IronLips also owns one.

That looks like the Whaley-Royce "contra". I've got a photo of this horn with a member of the Toronto Optimists carrying one of these from Drim Corps Digest back in the mid-60's (post when I get back from Texas). The Brigade used the chest carrying W-R Euphs ( used by the 4 Brigade "basses", Jim Eastberg 1st Bari & me) in 1964. The W-R Euphs went to the DP Vanguard the following year and were used until they switched to Smith's in 1967.

Edited by Vanguard Rich