Punkin Chunkin

Stu, one has to read your posts on here to see you demand very specific black and white.

and sorry, but DCI...and i'll use big letters...is THE MAJOR LEAGUE OF ALL MARCHING ARTS ACTIVITIES.

ya know, the AWA used to call itself the major leagues of professional wrestling. This was when they showed the same shows on ESPN every day at 4 pm, performing in front of at best 2000 fans a show.

Meanwhile the WWF was selling out major arenas and stadiums and helping to pioneer the pay per view industry.

so who was really the major league?

DCI has been filling big stadiums for 40 years. They've been on tv and live telecasts to hundreds of movie theaters across the nation. No other marching arts can claim more than a webcast of their big event

a) Everyone has black/white views on various issues (just look at the DCI instrumentation debates, or the debates concerning whether drum corps are marching bands, and you will see a plethora of people with black/white opinions).

b) Our definitions of what is a Major League just differ, nothing more. My view is that a Major League is not only the pinnacle of an activity, but is also an activity that provides *careers* for the players/performers (MLB, PGA, NFL, NBA, NASCAR). So to me, the Olympics, while being the pinnacle of the activity, is *not* a Major League; and while DCI is the pinnacle of the activity, it is more akin to the Olympics than to Major League.

c) As for your wrestling Major League example, that sort of supports my position (I say sort of because pro-wrestling is rather fixed on outcomes and therefore not true competitions): Both the AWA and WWF pay the adult wrestlers in those venues, whereas wrestlers in the Olympics are not paid to wrestle in that venue. So, show me where DCI pays their adult *performers* as a career outlet and I will begin to view DCI as a Major League; otherwise while DCI is the pinnacle, it is more appropriately the Olympics of all Marching Activities.

a) Everyone has black/white views on various issues (just look at the DCI instrumentation debates, or the debates concerning whether drum corps are marching bands, and you will see a plethora of people with black/white opinions).

b) Our definitions of what is a Major League just differ, nothing more. My view is that a Major League is not only the pinnacle of an activity, but is also an activity that provides *careers* for the players/performers (MLB, PGA, NFL, NBA, NASCAR). So to me, the Olympics, while being the pinnacle of the activity, is *not* a Major League; and while DCI is the pinnacle of the activity, it is more akin to the Olympics than to Major League.

c) As for your wrestling Major League example, that sort of supports my position (I say sort of because pro-wrestling is rather fixed on outcomes and therefore not true competitions): Both the AWA and WWF pay the adult wrestlers in those venues, whereas wrestlers in the Olympics are not paid to wrestle in that venue. So, show me where DCI pays their adult *performers* as a career outlet and I will begin to view DCI as a Major League; otherwise while DCI is the pinnacle, it is more appropriately the Olympics of all Marching Activities.

a) true

b) DCI is the pinnacle of the marching arts, and is also the Major League of the marching arts. You want to be the best in this game, where do you go? DCI. yes, you have DCA, WGI, BOA, TOB, USSBA, LMBA, PIMBA, Cavalcade of Bands, MAC and the many other organizations out there I didn't list.....they arent the top of the heap. DCI is. Hence, DCI IS the Major League of marching arts.

c) DCI has no adult performers. They have youth. Now DCA has adults, but they don't pay either. So if you're suggesting DCI starts paying players or change it's marketing, hey run up that hill and fight for the change. Til then, they are as advertised, the major League of the marching arts.

Guys..."Major league" is a metaphor designed to draw comparisons between MLB baseball and DCI. Without knowing about the MLB, the metaphor makes little sense. There are two implications here:

1) Drum corps is as inherently American as baseball

2) DCI represents the highest level of participation in marching music just as the MLB is the highest level of participation in baseball

The metaphor is designed and used to relate the images of the two sports together so as to create a clearer picture of how DCI compares to what most people are familiar with, in this case marching band.

It also serves another important function:

The necessary implication of DCI being the "Major League" is that all other activities in marching music constitute the Other, in this case, the minor leagues.

Not only is a comparison drawn between DCI and the MLB, the necessary implication is that minor league baseball and other marching activities become associated as well.

The only reason the metaphor functions is because we understand what Major League Baseball is. It's designed for widespread appeal since more Americans know about the MLB than about DCI.

Arguing the minutia of what constitutes "major league" completely ignores the fact that DCI appropriated the motto from Major League Baseball in order to set itself apart from other marching activities.

/englishmajor'd

• Like 1

Guys..."Major league" is a metaphor designed to draw comparisons between MLB baseball and DCI. Without knowing about the MLB, the metaphor makes little sense. There are two implications here:

2) DCI represents the highest level of participation in marching music just as the MLB is the highest level of participation in baseball

The metaphor is designed and used to relate the images of the two sports together so as to create a clearer picture of how DCI compares to what most people are familiar with, in this case marching band.

The necessary implication of DCI being the "Major League" is that all other activities in marching music constitute the Other, in this case, the minor leagues.

Not only is a comparison drawn between DCI and the MLB, the necessary implication is that minor league baseball and other marching activities become associated as well.

The only reason the metaphor functions is because we understand what Major League Baseball is. It's designed for widespread appeal since more Americans know about the MLB than about DCI.

Arguing the minutia of what constitutes "major league" completely ignores the fact that DCI appropriated the motto from Major League Baseball in order to set itself apart from other marching activities.

/englishmajor'd

The marching music's major league thing was something Coltrin & Assosciates came up with. I guess from guys who had no idea what it was, trying to explain it to other people who were unfamiliar. It seems to work.

This point illustrates the benefit of having more people involved in marketing and promoting it to the rest of the world that have no idea what it was... no previous frame of reference. I really strongly believe DCI needs much more involvement from professionals outside the activity, guys who have never heard of it before to be able to help position it in a way that will better resonate with a wider audience.

• Like 1

/englishmajor'd

"Marching Music's Major League" is also just marketing hyperbole. It's almost comical to see people debate the minutia of its meaning. I personally think that it's a great mainstream marketing slogan that, as you point out, captures the essence of the activity for the uninitiated

While we're debating marketing slogans as if they were literal, I'm kinda curious to know what you think is truly, "Marching Music's Major League?" Judging by what you say above, I'd guess that you might think that there IS no Major League for marching music? Is your argument that 'Major League' is a misnomer as there is no Major League?

I agree that The Olympics are not necessarily the Major Leagues of its sports; all it takes is to look at Olympic basketball, soccer, baseball, etc. to see that the Olympic teams often pale in comparison to National teams (in the case with soccer), and especially Club teams (such as NBA teams, or again in soccer looking at the EPL, Serie A, La Liga, etc). Your contention seems to be that something can't be the pinnacle of its activity unless it offers paid opportunities for the participants?

Obviously, all of us want more exposure for our beloved hobby of drum corps to reach the masses. To us, mass exposure = television.

The unfortunate part is that drum corps does not translate well on-screen. Even with the advances in HD and surround sound. For me, watching drum corps on TV or at the movies is just... meh. And I freaking LOVE drum corps.

And do we really want to watch the activity that we love turned into the "drama" of Timmy and Tammy having a bad day on tour? I know I don't.

Drum corps performances are something that have to be experienced IN PERSON to be truly appreciated.

Perhaps DCI should encourage (or require?) one corps per contest to do a standstill type performance on the day of the show (lunch hour in the center of town?) for the general public to stumble upon. The corps could melt some faces, then pass out flyers about the contest that night, the corps, and DCI to these new fans.

Drum corps contests are like little secrets in town. The general public usually has NO IDEA they are happening. It's time to give them a taste. Live and in person. And if they like it standing still, they will LOVE it on the field.

I don't know. Just a thought.

"Marching Music's Major League" is also just marketing hyperbole.

Why this truth isn't understood here is baffling. It's a slogan and a good one. It's not as if DCI officials are holding it out as the missing commandment from Sinai.

On another aspect of this discussion, we can't forget the bottom line. The current DCI formula amounts essentially to producing content for sale. DVDs and Fan Network are vehicles to distribute paid content. That's a marked departure from the past where DCI essentially paid to produce free content that was distributed by PBS and later ESPN.

The switch has resulted in significant revenue for DCI, revenue which would be seriously diluted by resumption of free distribution. Narrow-casting via DVD and FN allows DCI to monetize its product. Broadcasting the same product doesn't because there is no robust advertising option to offset the revenue opportunity lost.

Some try to argue that the marketing value of a free broadcast exceeds the value derived from the paid content sold. I doubt that. While a free broadcast surely would result in some ticket sales, it's doubtful the impact would be significant. This is a case where the Internet substitutes wholely and superiorly to any broadcast network. The potential introduction to DCI via broadcast is just a couple of hours a day one day a year. On the Web, it's available on demand 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. What's more, the serendipity factor that PBS provided me and others has been diluted by the growth in broadcast channels. At the same time, the search function has made finding drum corps easier than ever.

The bottom line is DCI makes money via paid content. It makes no sense to give up that revenue to a channel that can't deliver audience or money and surely not both.

HH

Obviously, all of us want more exposure for our beloved hobby of drum corps to reach the masses. To us, mass exposure = television.

The unfortunate part is that drum corps does not translate well on-screen. Even with the advances in HD and surround sound. For me, watching drum corps on TV or at the movies is just... meh. And I freaking LOVE drum corps.

And do we really want to watch the activity that we love turned into the "drama" of Timmy and Tammy having a bad day on tour? I know I don't.

Drum corps performances are something that have to be experienced IN PERSON to be truly appreciated.

Perhaps DCI should encourage (or require?) one corps per contest to do a standstill type performance on the day of the show (lunch hour in the center of town?) for the general public to stumble upon. The corps could melt some faces, then pass out flyers about the contest that night, the corps, and DCI to these new fans.

Drum corps contests are like little secrets in town. The general public usually has NO IDEA they are happening. It's time to give them a taste. Live and in person. And if they like it standing still, they will LOVE it on the field.

I don't know. Just a thought.

:worthy:

... I'd guess that you might think that there IS no Major League for marching music? Is your argument that 'Major League' is a misnomer as there is no Major League?

Absolutely correct!!! *All* true Major Leagues (MLB, NFL, NASCAR, NHL, NBA, PGA, PBA, Pro Rodeo, etc...) have the following two professional things in common:

1) Major Leagues consist of the best *adult players* in the world;

2) Major League adult players are *paid professionals*.

DCI, however, has the best youth marching performers who pay hefty fees to be involved instead of getting paid as professionals.

Edited by Stu