Punkin Chunkin

Someone is going to take what I am about to say, way to seriously, and the wrong way. Bbbbut, I dont see how womens softball, which is shown frequently even on ESPN(1) has more of a market than DC. And thats not because I think its boring, but its just because there are probably a lot more bandos out there than there is female softball players. The same goes with ping pong tournies on a ESPN network. Sure it would be expensive, but you cant honestly tell me that it would not work, especially if marketed the correct way. And its not even like this pumpkin chunkin show only aired once, IT WAS ON AGAIN LAST NIGHT. Someone somewhere has to believe that if Pumpkin Chunkin is worth enough to air over and over again until at least December, then DCI finals is worth at least one showing. There seems to be a lot of know it alls on the subject, with no one providing any facts, I am thinking it is a lot simpler than some of us are making it out to be...

Someone is going to take what I am about to say, way to seriously, and the wrong way. Bbbbut, I dont see how womens softball, which is shown frequently even on ESPN(1) has more of a market than DC. And thats not because I think its boring, but its just because there are probably a lot more bandos out there than there is female softball players. The same goes with ping pong tournies on a ESPN network. Sure it would be expensive, but you cant honestly tell me that it would not work, especially if marketed the correct way. And its not even like this pumpkin chunkin show only aired once, IT WAS ON AGAIN LAST NIGHT. Someone somewhere has to believe that if Pumpkin Chunkin is worth enough to air over and over again until at least December, then DCI finals is worth at least one showing. There seems to be a lot of know it alls on the subject, with no one providing any facts, I am thinking it is a lot simpler than some of us are making it out to be...

The owners of ESPN do not really care about broadcasting Women's Softball, Ping Pong, or Football for that matter; and the owners of the Discovery Channel really do not care about broadcasting Punkin Chunkin. What the owners of those networks do really care about is the fact that corporate sponsors are willing to pay market value advertising fees to broadcast those programs; simple as that. Therefore, DCI would still be on ESPN2 (or even on ESPN) if corporate sponsors would just have been willing to pay for the broadcast time.

Why are we arguing semantics about what a major league is?

For the same reasons we discuss whether or not a drum corps is a marching band; or discuss whether or not the move from G to Bb was a correct move. These issues, and terminologies, have defining meaning upon the activity.

Edited by Stu

Forget ESPN - they wouldn't give two farts for a music activity, they're geared for sports.

Since it is primarily the commercials the broadcasters are after (they're the ones paying for most of the airtime), filling a large chunk is already there. Since DCI already has the product available (y'know, the DVDs/Blu-Rays they just shipped) most of the video/audio work is already done. If packaged and presented properly, to an appropriate channel, finding funding for the rest should'nt be that difficult - and I'd guess the channel(s) would already have sponsors they'd be able to call on.

Package it as a family-friendly Thanksgiving Holiday Musical Spectacular and offer it to Hallmark (or something similiar).

Sure, you won't get the numbers your average football game gets, but you're not really expecting to. You will get more viewers (and maybe more interest) than by not doing anything at all.

Again, the FN and Fathom presentations are great - but only if you know about it. Those that don't know about Drum Corps won't go looking for it. Getting extra exposure to the general public isn't a bad thing...

Extra note: I detest Reality TV and don't trust that producers would present DC in any positive light at all. They deliberately go for the rude, obnoxious, degrading factor.

sure it does. how many youth softball leagues are there are across America? those girls, and the girls from what, 8 on up will watch. I know men that watch. Sure some of that may be for hot women, but men watch it too.

Guess what though...DCI on ESPN didn't work. No other network, without cash or a ###### good pitch is going to bite.

Realize it. Band Nerds don't sell unless you Glee it up. Now do you want DCI to look like that?

Having forced my way thru 3 marching band Glee themed shows, I can say noand the band Journey should sue

The "Finals" is on Discovery Channel as I type.

35,000 "Fans" in a farmer's field, watching home made machines toss pumpkins for bragging rights.

Partying, lots of beer and BBQ.

Brought to you by Canon, Discover, and the Discovery Channel.

And DCI can't even find a way to keep PBS, let alone ESPN, happy?

Are you kidding me?

Those here who think the DCI BOD is doing things OK are right.

Just OK describes it well.

While corporate America supports chunkin pumpkins during prime time on Thanksgiving night.

R - I - G - H - T

This reminds me, Isnt it time for the monthly.."Why is Drum Corps dying" thread.

Go ask 10 people to describe women's softball.

Go ask 10 people to describe drum and bugle corps.

I'm going to guess 10 people can explain that women's softball is a game similar to baseball being played by women.

I can't even describe drum corps in such a way and I know exactly what it is.

There's your answer.

More people play or care about softball, table tennis, etc. and therefore more companies will dump money into it.

Go ask 10 people to describe women's softball.

Go ask 10 people to describe drum and bugle corps.

I'm going to guess 10 people can explain that women's softball is a game similar to baseball being played by women.

I can't even describe drum corps in such a way and I know exactly what it is.

There's your answer.

More people play or care about softball, table tennis, etc. and therefore more companies will dump money into it.

I buy your argument entirely on its surface.

But to tie this back to the OP, I didn't know what PunkinChunkin was until I saw it on Discovery. In fact, I bet more people could describe women's softball, or table tennis, than PunkinChunkin.

But there it is on Discovery.