Punkin Chunkin

Go ask 10 people to describe women's softball.

Go ask 10 people to describe drum and bugle corps.

I'm going to guess 10 people can explain that women's softball is a game similar to baseball being played by women.

I can't even describe drum corps in such a way and I know exactly what it is.

There's your answer.

More people play or care about softball, table tennis, etc. and therefore more companies will dump money into it.

ditto

I buy your argument entirely on its surface.

But to tie this back to the OP, I didn't know what PunkinChunkin was until I saw it on Discovery. In fact, I bet more people could describe women's softball, or table tennis, than PunkinChunkin.

But there it is on Discovery.

It's also a HELL of a lot easier to understand. Technical details aside...whoever sends it the farthest wins....easy.

Drum corps is NOT so easy to explain. It's like fencing. Most US sports are the run real fast/throw real far/put the rock in the hole type that are pretty easy to understand. Fencing, tho, has three different weapons, target areas, sets of rules, etc...it's very difficult to explain to someone watching it what's going on.

Same as drum corps.

What's the pointy of getting something onto the Holy Land of TV if no one can understand it? You expect people to stick around?

• Like 1

I just got cable tv again after 6 years without it and I really regret doing it. I just wanted my kids to have something to watch instead of just netfix. my mistake. I don't even watch it.

Who watches cable or broadcast tv anymore in the first place? What are you guys, old or something? :tongue:

( I haven't had cable in well over a year, and the last time I made a point of sitting down in front of a broadcast show was this past fall when the first episode of PROHIBITION was scheduled for PBS. Then I found out they were showing it online at the same time, and watched the second two episodes in my own time via streaming.)

DCI already has their own 'channel' with FanNetwork. If they want to attract more new fans, then they'll have to follow Daniel R's advice and find ways to make more of the content viewable for free on YouTube or other non-paywall formats. But ESPN, PBS, etc, are walking corpses already; better to put the energy into maximizing what DCI's already got.

Edited by mobrien

I buy your argument entirely on its surface.

But to tie this back to the OP, I didn't know what PunkinChunkin was until I saw it on Discovery. In fact, I bet more people could describe women's softball, or table tennis, than PunkinChunkin.

But there it is on Discovery.

Women's softball: Why do they toss underhand? Is there a league? What do they do in real life? Do their pitching arms hurt? Why is the ball so big? What, why, how, what if, why?

Table tennis: Is that the same as ping-pong?

Punkin Chunkin: Throw far. Pumpkin goes sploosh. Farthest wins. Beer. Lots of beer. Lots and lots of beer. People happy. Everyone goes home. Stop at gas station to get rid of some beer. Buy chips and Red Bull for rest of drive. Get home. Talk about pumpkins flying through air. Go to bathroom. Go to bed. Dream of flying pumpkins. Hope bed is still dry in morning.

Drum corps: No, it isn't just like your local marching band. Well, yes, it's kind of like your local marching band, but better. No, I didn't mean to insult your local marching band. Yes, I've heard they've been invited to the Tomato Soup Festival Parade. No, I don't want to buy a band turkey, but thanks for asking. Anyhow, drum corps is different from marching bands in a few ways...such as it costs more money and the corps travel all summer. Why do they have to travel all summer? Well, they need to do so to compete. Why not just compete locally? There is no local competition, so they have to travel. Why don't all the Colorado corps compete with all the other Colorado corps? There's only one Colorado corps. Yes, I know there are a lot of marching bands in Colorado. Yes, I know many of them are really good. Do drum corps parents travel with the corps to all the competitions? Uh... Can a kid who isn't a super player get into a top corps and learn how to become better during the year? Um... You want to know if they sleep in three-star hotels? Not exac... How many members are from the corps' home town? You see, it's not about...uh...I'll tell you what...This will make it easier. The more I think about it, drum corps is just like your local marching band. Your band is doing a "Glee" show? Yeah, that sounds like fun. Put me down for two band turkeys.

• Like 1

Hope bed is still dry in morning.

BWWWHHHAAAAA!

Drum corps: No, it isn't just like your local marching band. Well, yes, it's kind of like your local marching band, but better. No, I didn't mean to insult your local marching band. Yes, I've heard they've been invited to the Tomato Soup Festival Parade. No, I don't want to buy a band turkey, but thanks for asking. Anyhow, drum corps is different from marching bands in a few ways...such as it costs more money and the corps travel all summer. Why do they have to travel all summer? Well, they need to do so to compete. Why not just compete locally? There is no local competition, so they have to travel. Why don't all the Colorado corps compete with all the other Colorado corps? There's only one Colorado corps. Yes, I know there are a lot of marching bands in Colorado. Yes, I know many of them are really good. Do drum corps parents travel with the corps to all the competitions? Uh... Can a kid who isn't a super player get into a top corps and learn how to become better during the year? Um... You want to know if they sleep in three-star hotels? Not exac... How many members are from the corps' home town? You see, it's not about...uh...I'll tell you what...This will make it easier. The more I think about it, drum corps is just like your local marching band. Your band is doing a "Glee" show? Yeah, that sounds like fun. Put me down for two band turkeys.

Post....of....the...year!

Women's softball: Why do they toss underhand? Is there a league? What do they do in real life? Do their pitching arms hurt? Why is the ball so big? What, why, how, what if, why?

Table tennis: Is that the same as ping-pong?

Punkin Chunkin: Throw far. Pumpkin goes sploosh. Farthest wins. Beer. Lots of beer. Lots and lots of beer. People happy. Everyone goes home. Stop at gas station to get rid of some beer. Buy chips and Red Bull for rest of drive. Get home. Talk about pumpkins flying through air. Go to bathroom. Go to bed. Dream of flying pumpkins. Hope bed is still dry in morning.

win